Lumsdonia

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mumbles

Re: Lumsdonia

Postby mumbles » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:14 am

Nicely done with the airfix kit

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:50 pm

I missed a trick with the airfix maintenance depot shed (garage), I should have cut a corner out and glued brick behind it to signify chunks of render fallen off :roll: May yet go back to it. Thats the beauty of removable buildings/features, like at the moment the layout is naked, while I did the track weathering! I just need to adjust some of the servo's (if bad, I will have to tip the layout) and then I can start re-instating the buildings, bridge and platforms and start placing water towers, telegraph poles, etc.
I am currently making from scratch, a coach platform, that will soon get placed. Once all that is done, I can start mapping out the interconnect (servo cables) to the junction points of my ribbon cable automated lighting system, I also need to create a point switch mimic panel (now the track design is consolidated by being down) and install that. Lots to do and I would like to get most of it done in readiness for Guys visit and photo shoot!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:45 pm

And two hours later, point mimic is complete! :D Just need to wire it up now. :P
SandyCroft Mimic Print - Aluminium.jpg
SandyCroft Mimic Print - Aluminium.jpg (52.54 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
SandyCroft Mimic Perspex - Paper punch.jpg
SandyCroft Mimic Perspex - Paper punch.jpg (55.85 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
SandyCroft Mimic Complete - plan.jpg

Note 4 different switch styles, to give tactile position

The great advantage of a printed paper sandwich is I can easily go back and change the graphics/add Logo/background picture/etc

Coopslner

Postby Coopslner » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:16 pm

Great looking switch board, one of my many jobs to do.

Coops
Derby Friargate GN

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:52 pm

Some longer running projects now coming together, this one is a carriage cleaning platform.
Didn't fancy the ready made type and with a recent purchase of some plastic steps and a huge stockpile of plastic sheets, I thought I would have a bash at scratch building. Doing delicate wooden substructure is beyond my patience and the I shaped type would not be strong enough, I decided to make my own design, loosely based on a precast concrete up-stand type with wooden top. You would never guess how the concrete was made, so I will let you in on the secret, they are plastic coffee stirrers (I knew they would come in handy one day)
Carriage platform side.jpg
Carriage platform side.jpg (50.96 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
Carriage platform end.jpg
Carriage platform end.jpg (63.26 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
Carriage platform view.jpg
Carriage platform view.jpg (63.27 KiB) Viewed 1004 times

Also shows the weathering of the track which is now complete. Although the new ballast under the platform now needs dirtying!

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:10 am

Look spot on

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:56 am

Well the mimic panel is now wired, I used the same 10 pin connector and ribbon principle as i am using on the automated lights. So 2x 10 way ribbons will go to an interface PCB that configures the multi connections to the megapoints board.
Attachments
Sandycroft Mimic wiring.jpg

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:58 pm

Preparations for Guys visit continue, after stripping the layout for rail rusting, it is now back together and all the little bits I have been creating are being placed. The missing wall on the bridge is annoying me, so the Sandycroft Tribune newspaper lead with this story today....
"Van driver careers through bridge wall over precipice, to avoid an uncontrolled dog that ran across the street out of Sandycombe station"
Police and an ambulance were quickly on the scene early this Sunday morning, to rescue the lorry driver whose truck plunged headlong off the Sandycroft station bridge. The driver amazingly did not suffer any serious injury and is resting comfortably in hospital this evening and is said to make a full recovery. Police Sergeant Henshaw said, he was lucky that the back wheels caught on a pipe, that arrested the truck from hitting the tracks with the full force of the drop. The Lumsdonia maintenance Depot responded very quickly with a 75 ton crane to remove the wreckage from the track and clear the line. Lumsdonia Council have cleaned the site and installed barriers to protect the gap.

Road barriers 1.jpg
Road barriers 2.jpg

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:07 pm

The Lumsdonia Electrical dept has been working overtime this week to establish lights throughout the layout. The auto compressed lights system is nearly complete (for these boards buildings) and is currently being tested. This will enable "night" shots for Guy's visit! :D Other things have always got in the way of the lighting, but the base design has always been solidly underlining all the sub builds and with all the components in stocke, final implementation has been very quick over the last two nights. Half of the 32 channels are live, with 8 to 10 circuits now connected and independently switchable (the last two need the buildings adding to the layout). Once guy has gone, I will have the time to do a full write up in the thread.
Piccies of lit Lumsdonia may be available very soon (maybe tonight)

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:45 pm

24 hours late, but here is some night shots with 10 independant lighting circuits working
Night maintenance.jpg

Gratuitous shot of guy en shed.jpg

SandyCombe Station Sign 6.jpg

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:26 am

Shed is very effective

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:43 am

m.levin wrote:Shed is very effective

Quite agree.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:58 am

The lights look good. Love the control panel. :)

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:06 am

Guy said they were a bit bright and didn't get a good nights sleep!
Glad you like them, I was very pleased with the way the "cunning plan" turned out. Also nice to get any comments on my thread, seems like I do all the writing, everyone looks, but no one comments! :lol: I must admit, I do the same myself, not always appropriate to comment every :o time you look at a thread!
Not sure were to pay my attention to next. There are still a few bits to finish, but I am a bit stuck, as without a final plan, I dare not start make the two ends or the back third, as they may not fit in the final house move!
I think I might continue developing ideas and making removable diorama's, to be added in the future. I can plan the final layout with them in mind.
I have dozens of the same cararama vehicle, so want to make a big garage/showroom and sales lot for them. It will give me opportunity to do a scratch build in plastic and investigate an idea :idea: I have for fuel pumps.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:09 am

Mountain wrote:Love the control panel. :)

If I can't make a good mimic panel, then I need shooting :oops:

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”