Lumsdonia

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
TimberSurf

Re: Lumsdonia

Post by TimberSurf »

Progress! Got some ballast down!
Buttresses added to embankment, rolling stock back on board! 5 colours sprayed on Signal box parts (second one), still dithering about starting the interior kits (they are scarily small parts). Need to decide what colours the signal levers are? Am I being a mathematical frog for considering matching colours to the actual point work nearby? (Will anyone notice?)
Platform & ballast 1.jpg
Platform & ballast 1.jpg (51.28 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
Platform & ballast 2.jpg
Platform & ballast 2.jpg (51.93 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
Platform & ballast 3.jpg
Platform & ballast 3.jpg (35.23 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
Still need a plan for station booking hall (what type/where) and what to put between the station and triple sidings?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Linka production of the embankment parapet has stalled. The pillars are just about OK, but all other parts are disintegrating on demoulding! :o
Both my specials and standard parts. I had factored in some risk with my "special mix", as I knew using ancient Linkalite power was pushing my luck. But I had about 6Kg, so pressed on. After much manipulation of the formula, I decided it must be related to the bag of powder, so opened up a new one and hey presto, perfect product again! :evil: So in the mean time, I have been pressing on with the Wills interior kit and have now completed both and fitted one into the brick Will signal box. The wooden signal box is a little more complicated so has yet to be completed before it gets it fit out!
Wills Brick Signal Box Interior Left.jpg
Wills Brick Signal Box Interior Left.jpg (52.11 KiB) Viewed 2422 times
Wills Brick Signal Box Interior diag right.jpg
Wills Brick Signal Box Interior diag right.jpg (64.11 KiB) Viewed 2422 times
Wills Brick Signal Box Interior diag left.jpg
Wills Brick Signal Box Interior diag left.jpg (47.57 KiB) Viewed 2422 times
Wills Brick Signal Box Interior back.jpg
Wills Brick Signal Box Interior back.jpg (32.91 KiB) Viewed 2422 times
Wills Brick Signal Box Interior parts.jpg
Wills Brick Signal Box Interior parts.jpg (63.42 KiB) Viewed 2422 times

Oh and of course, lighted with a rigid led rig, so I can take the roof off later to admire my work! The Signal man can't start his shift today as he is currently residing deep down in some storage boxes! (good job the roof is removable for when he escapes his current predicament!)

Any comments welcome, except the bad ones please :D
timbologist

Post by timbologist »

Does not get much better than that :mrgreen:

I can see the new printer will be very busy

Timbologist
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

The second signal box is taking forever, the individual windows (12 of them) have to be glazed individually (without leaving glue marks) and I am now having to "plane" all four sides and the surrounding frame to let each one fit! (Each one is about 0.25mm to big (OO scale 3/4 inch, that's a lot of planeing with an OO wood plane! :o ) As I bought the two boxes second hand, "as new", I have now discovered that the wooden one is missing a paper print of the back wall! Another task to research, develop and print!
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Second signal box is still not complete, but getting much closer. Lights are in, wallpaper is up, instruments, levers and furniture to go. Yet to develop a mechanism to hold the roof true (as I want it detachable).
The second platform is now nearly complete, so need to decide on station building style/position, before I start adding fences and lighting.

Went to a Toy fair in Shropshire today and picked up some Triang (marked Hornby) Station Buildings for £2 for the lot, so I think I will kit bash them and make a high level Booking Hall on stilts! (if I get it wrong or don't like it, I have some spares!).

Also got an unopened station house Linka set for £13 (with two triang wagons thrown in free) :D.

I actualy went for some Humbrol paint and could have bought some at £2 a pop, but found a selection of second hand (all 3/4 full) so bought 20 tins for £5 instead! (4 for a £1) :twisted:
End2end

Post by End2end »

On your rigid led ligthing rig can I ask how may leds are on it, what type of led's and do the actual rigid legs carry the power to it?
Also, I was talking to an ex-dental modeller on Thursday and unbeknowst to me powder can go off as it were. Maybe this is why the mix didn't work very well. My last few runs from being excellent mouldings have become worse and worse. I never thought it could be the powder. Luckily I'm nearly out so need to order more fresh powder so will bin the last little that I have.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Hi E2E
Two LED's type 3020, on 2 strips of veroboard, soldered to two round brass rods and powered via the brass. I am well aware my Linka powder is 40 years old! Maybe if this one is only 20 years old I might have more luck!
Linka Town Station Building 1.jpg
Linka Town Station Building 1.jpg (57.39 KiB) Viewed 2347 times
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

I have been collecting masses of rolling stock over the last 15 years, blindly grabbing bargains, even if they had unwanted trucks in the mix, at some point I need to get rid of the surplus and will need to feed Ebay descriptions and piccies. To that end, decided to look professional and make every shot uniform background and scale, so needed a photo shoot rig.
I came up with this....
Rolling stock photo shoot rifle 1.jpg
Rolling stock photo shoot rifle 1.jpg (39.6 KiB) Viewed 2347 times
which gives this.....
test sale wagon.jpg
test sale wagon.jpg (68.31 KiB) Viewed 2347 times
.... owing to the fact I don't have a layout as yet to use as a backdrop
End2end

Post by End2end »

HA! I bought one of those tankers today for £1 at a boot sale. :D
As to the led's or should I say smd's can I ask, are they white or warm white as I am thinking about smd's for coach lighting and your excellent pictures show me what I can expect from one of the types?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

As I said on the previous page 9
TimberSurf wrote: There are 4 distinct varieties of LED.

Warm White - 2700-3500 Kelvin - typical incandescent light bulb
Natural White - 4000-4500 Kelvin - typical retail space €"white" fluorescent lighting
Day / Daylight - White 5000-6000 Kelvin - used for high colour definition - typical noon day sun in many parts of the world
Cool / Commercial - White 6000-7000 Kelvin - used in many industrial and commercial applications like hospitals

I use Warm White (SMD), for my houses
I might go up to Natural white for offices/shop window etc
3mm Daylight for Mercury (inside engine shed) and 3mm yellow For sodium bulbs
Warm white for Coach Filament bulbs and white for Flourescents
End2end

Post by End2end »

Thanks Timbersurf. I must have missed that looking at the excellent photos. :D
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

The triang booking office has been refurbished and had a new style roof added, full lighting kits, brick weathering, etc. It will sit off the bridge on stilts! I cant find anything for the feet, so might have to buy some strip wood, as its holding things up on the build. A second hand footbridge has been cut and will be attached to the opposing side to gain access to the platform and suitably lighted as well. Now I have a huge stock of plastic, my scratch building skills can be honed, only the triang walls and windows have been retained, roof, base and stilts are all mine.
The two signal box's are still not complete! The big one is close and the smaller is catching up, just need to attach stairs and start weathering. I have also laid the concrete floor for the engine shed and staked the shed with pins into holes so it can be removed, but easily relocated precisely.
The second platform is complete, I just need to add a landing platform for the stairs.
Linka and the embankment parapet is on hold, opened two more batches of plaster and both are terrible. I have bitten the bullet and ordered some herculite stone! We shall see if production starts rolling again! Also ordered 1lt of enamel thinners, as the second hand paints I bought are sucking up 100% volume to revitalise! lol. Also ordered some magnets for future projects and experimentation.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

My 10Kg of plaster turned up today, wow what a difference! Knowing the linkalite was 40 years old, I knew it would not be very good, but i had compensated with the addition of PVA in the mix, which improved strength immensely, but at the cost of taking days to go hard and then sticking in the moulds! However, only one batch was any good, the others gave abysmal results, now painfully obvious, in that I can remove cast linka within an hour or two! Oh well, I have resigned not to bin it, but may well use it up when I come to contour my scenery, as terraforming plaster.
Let production commence!
I also got some resin to experiment with!
Booking hall is now progressing, support girders have been made and are now getting welded to the legs
Booking office stilts in the making.jpg
Booking office stilts in the making.jpg (64.44 KiB) Viewed 2257 times
Pics of the LED's below and I have also put LED's in the footbridge
Booking office conversion with lights.jpg
Booking office conversion with lights.jpg (167.52 KiB) Viewed 2257 times
The signal man is still waiting for his box, so to pacify him, I made him an outside W.C.
Signal mans loo.jpg
Signal mans loo.jpg (30.67 KiB) Viewed 2257 times
Coopslner

Post by Coopslner »

I am sure the signal man will appreciate being able to sit and ponder the good things in life while he waits :lol:

Look forward to more.

Coops
Derby Friargate GN
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

I am overjoyed tonight!
I accidentally found my stash of Humbrol paints, not used since the 80's, but last seen when moved to a 'safe place', within the last 5 years.
I do have some paint I have secured over the last year or two, but could I remember were the main hoard had been secured? NO!
Its been annoying me for over a year! It's a good job I have a liter of thinners, I have a lot of 'revitalizing' to do!
There is a few that are no longer available too!
Attachments
80s Humbrol stash.jpg
80s Humbrol stash.jpg (117.23 KiB) Viewed 2648 times