Lumsdonia

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Mountain

Re: Lumsdonia

Postby Mountain » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:14 am

Why mimic? The switches are in a different position then I tend to put them. Are they for point control or for track sections?

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:44 pm

A mimic panel is an industrial controls term for (usually) an engraved panel with buttons and lamps on, laid out as a graphical representation of the production line/process, also used for fire panels to indicate which detectors have been set off. Think of a power station control room and the desks and front wall were covered in them. They were later adapted to be the display panel for the first electric signal box's. (Now we show the same graphical detail on LED screens)
The switches are indeed for point control, but do not switch individual points, one will actually throw 3 points at a time, so effectively they are route switches, hence not directly relating to the point fork.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:29 pm

TimberSurf wrote:Preparations for Guys visit continue, after stripping the layout for rail rusting, it is now back together and all the little bits I have been creating are being placed. The missing wall on the bridge is annoying me, so the Sandycroft Tribune newspaper lead with this story today....
"Van driver careers through bridge wall over precipice, to avoid an uncontrolled dog that ran across the street out of Sandycombe station"
Police and an ambulance were quickly on the scene early this Sunday morning, to rescue the lorry driver whose truck plunged headlong off the Sandycroft station bridge. The driver amazingly did not suffer any serious injury and is resting comfortably in hospital this evening and is said to make a full recovery. Police Sergeant Henshaw said, he was lucky that the back wheels caught on a pipe, that arrested the truck from hitting the tracks with the full force of the drop. The Lumsdonia maintenance Depot responded very quickly with a 75 ton crane to remove the wreckage from the track and clear the line. Lumsdonia Council have cleaned the site and installed barriers to protect the gap.

Road barriers 1.jpgRoad barriers 2.jpg

Love this picture 8)
My N Gauge Layout.

Sunshine In The Lakes <<<<< Old layout no more

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44159 <<<<< Back to the Lakes (New Layout 2013)

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:53 pm

Cheers Lee.
It was bugging me, so rustled up some (almost) prototypical barriers from the 1950's. Just round styrene painted with red bands. No red tape or harris fencing in those days! Once I crack the parapet wall casting process, they will get used elsewhere on roadworks, just need to develop the electronics for flashing yellow cone lights! Necessity/Guys visit is the mother of invention! (and story making)

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:00 am

Just reminded myself of a job to do, now the two boards are nearly finished and my attention has been diverted to the workbench for a while, I need to protect the layout, while its not getting regular attention/use. Remind me to make/develope my patented layout dust sheet! And get all my hard work safely covered from dust!

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:16 pm

Having returned from the Manchester Model Railway Society Christmas Show, the rolling stock count has gone up by another 5 Mainline wagons! (Write another note to self to, 'stop buying more wagons'). Got some brass strip and a few bits 'n' bobs. Not as big a show as I thought, but worthwhile and some great layouts.
Two of my fav pics
Attachments
2017 Man MR Xmas Exhibition l.jpg
2017 Man MR Xmas Exhibition r.jpg

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:48 pm

I like those pics shows activity with those people busily going about there daily tasks

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:28 am

Not as big a show as I thought, but worthwhile and some great layouts.

I was there Saturday morning, I thought it was very well done, I've been to bigger far less impressive events. I usually judge a show by the number of layouts where I'm drawn into conversation with the operators, and there was plenty to talk about there. My favourite, had to be the sand quarry, an essentially pointless operation, endlessly recycling the same load of sand, but modelling of the highest calibre. The operator spotted me stooping to see what tipped the V skip. "Metro choke cables" he said "the only decent thing to have come out of Longbridge" All round applause. It had those touches that are essential detail, like the bent side of the sand hopper where it had been clouted many times by the dragline bucket.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:52 am

I have to agree Bufferstop, Campbell’s Quarry (16mm scale R/C) was fantastic, it just appeals to the kiddy in you "I want to be a train driver, but I luv playing with diggers!" and being such a big scale, you can really go to town on the minutia detail. I would dearly love that in my front room!

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:04 pm

Not much done on the layout since Guy visited, most efforts have gone into the Workbench and developments as seen on the workbench thread.

The official unveiling of the layout (phase A & B) will be on boxing day when my grandson visits from Scotland!

I need a plan for 2018, but as I don't know what shape the final layout will be, its difficult to to start on a new baseboard. I guess I will have to keep developing buildings and diarama's for later addition. I would love to build all of my bridges (I have dozens of kits in stock), but I don't know what I will need, so its difficult to build the right combinations and heights. I have lots of house kits, so I suppose i can build them and fit lighting like i have done with the signal boxes and scaledale buildings so they are ready to plonk down in the future.

We shall see what 2018 brings! :)

In the meantime, I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 8)

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:52 pm

I think Guy's visit not only advanced the build process, but also lead to a galvanisation of some of the ideas to fix the bigger picture. A lot of the geographical and company names were developed (around personal derivatives) way back when I designed the layout, but Lumsdonia was perceived as a 'layout'. I think it has now migrated to something larger and more encompassing.

To advance the "story" of Lumsdonia, I have fine lined a few more facts.
Lumsdonia is a least a state or may even be a country and is a monarchy. (that makes me a King! :P )
Lumsdonia Railway (LR) = the permanent way company that runs the trains
LR Corporate colours = Cream and Violet
Lumsdonia flag =
Lumsdonia Flag 300.jpg
Lumsdonia Flag 300.jpg (10.49 KiB) Viewed 436 times

BR run trains on leased track (mostly diesel pulled)
LR bought a lot of ex BR steam loco's (and ain't got the money or the inclination to repaint/renumber :o )
A preservation society uses Sandycombe TMD for storage and runs "Steam Specials" from the area.
Sandycroft Council = the local council
Sandycombe = local town (has the large station and TMD in it)

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:02 pm

Remember to fly it upside down in a state of emergency :D

Sheldon Cooper (JIm}
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:07 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:Remember to fly it upside down in a state of emergency :D

That will be every time you post a picture on my thread then! :lol:

:arrow: Bazzinga!

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:15 pm

TimberSurf wrote:Lumsdonia is a least a state or may even be a country and is a monarchy. (that makes me a King! :P )

Does this mean we now have to address you as King TimberSurf in all our posts to you :roll:

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:34 pm

King, of course not Timbologist! :o

The proper address is 'His Majesty' :wink:

But those in my inner circle, just can just call me "Your Majesty Timbs" :lol:

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”