Lumsdonia

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
TimberSurf

Re: Lumsdonia

Post by TimberSurf »

Well here are a few snippets to be going on with
Bridge.jpg
Bridge with missing wall and lamppost and a lot of touching up to do
Bridge pipe glue.jpg
Bridge pipe glue.jpg (59.5 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
Gluing pipe to brackets
Down pipe.jpg
Down pipe.jpg (77.49 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
Near end with base fixing to finish
Grass crossing.jpg
Grass crossing.jpg (80.17 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
A taster of my grassing

Rusting of rails yet to be done!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

The last bit of ballasting was done on the other board last night, only a few bits of static grass to deploy and it will be covered. I also installed all the lampposts on the nearest platform, but have run out, so can't start on the other platform yet, plus I have to get around to casting the parapet walls for the inclined embankment before I install lamps into the wall. Generally progressing well, I now need to rummage through all my storage boxes to find the little things, like plate layers huts etc and pluck up the courage to have a bash at rail weathering!
Coopslner

Post by Coopslner »

I like your road bridge, it looks well built as well. I need to get mine sorted but because I am lazy I have cut and shut 4 skaledale bridges together however the time I saved doing that I have lost tidying it all up.

Look forward to seeing your station with the sign installed.

Coops
Derby Friargate GN
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Thanks Coops, yes it is based on 50x20mm wood as the bearer and each end is of 20mm thick box! Reason being that it is removable and the walls are Linka, so need a strong base to stop it breaking up. I have now covered 100% of the boards, so I am building/placing buildings and getting the detail sorted. I now have a plate layers hut (ex Peco but heavily modded), a station newsagent stand painted, decorated with magazines and of course FULLY LIGHTED :D , loading gauge, water cranes etc. Still putting off the rail rusting as the last time I used the airbrush it was coughing and spluttering (it may be to do with using 20 year old paint that has bits in) so need to get some airbrush cleaner before I attempt that. I try not to overload the site with pics, else I could put 30 on per week! I do take lots but try to ration them for the site. One that will come soon, with pics, is my new idea for loading gauge, water cranes, telegraph poles, etc (non electrically wired posts)
I might do a full spread of the layout as part of when "Guy" turns up
End2end

Post by End2end »

Did someone say LINKA? :D
Looking great Timbersurf. I especially like the pipe and the "oik ornation" on the bridge.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Not sure what "oik ornation" is, but thanks! :lol:

I bit the bullet this afternoon and dismantled the superstructure (yes, bridge, platforms, buildings and posts are all removable! :D ) to allow me to try airbrushing the rust on the rails. I have completed the backside and done some at the front, not sure why the lower left looks so red? I need to complete the rusting, finish the patch of ballast and do some grime laying yet.
Partial rusting.jpg
Only time will tell if I have made a complete b*lls up of it!
Coopslner

Post by Coopslner »

It's good to see you jumping in and trying the airbrush out. I am not sure what's the best way of weathering ballast. I have sprayed my track sleeper grime before ballasting and will make it up as I go along when I get to it. So I will be curious to see your progress.

Coops
Derby Friargate GN
End2end

Post by End2end »

TimberSurf wrote:Not sure what "oik ornation" is, but thanks! :lol:
The graffiti. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Next up some furniture for the platform, a newsagents stall, lighted of course. Not quite sure were I will place it yet (near the booking office or make an extension off the back of the platform), but had fun printing magazines and adverts the right size and cutting and gluing. Might give it some weathering too.
News stand front.jpg
News stand front.jpg (33.32 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
News stand corner.jpg
News stand corner.jpg (37.23 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
News stand lighting.jpg
News stand lighting.jpg (43.39 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

It is looking good. Love the lights.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Managed to spray paint the opposite side of all the rails tonight, so can now start adding dirt then polish up tops and can then refurnish and carry on with the build. Hampered by a visit to Chester MRC exhibition (and a big hole in my wallet)but I have also another building.
The area between the station and the triple sidings is perplexing me. In the back of my mind, I want a container depot, but being so close to a station, does not seem right. The gap between the sidings and the 7 track bridge is not really wide enough for a major road, so the area cannot be logically accessed by a major road, can't support heavy road traffic/goods. As I want various areas to depict a number of loading/unloading scenario's like petrochemical transfer, grain, coal, mineral, and general goods (bare in mind this will eventually be a large layout in the final plan) I was hoping the current build might support one of these, but I think the lack of road access and proximity to the station precludes this. So if I can't put silo's/bulk tanks/goods sheds etc in the area, it needs a different purpose.
As it is in close proximity to the engine shed/storage area (is that whats called a TMD?), it looks like the triple sidings will be designated as carriage storage and the rough patch between that and the station can be some sort of storage yard associated with the railway.
To that end, I have started creating the buildings/materials that will populate it.
There will be a general store building (an old Airfix garage), various assorted piles of railway associated materials (cable reels, drain pipes, sleepers, telegraph poles, etc), some oil/fuel tanks, a crane of some sort and some detritous (old wheels etc)
The other option would be that the sidings are associated with maintenance and hold my extensive collection of cranes (with asociated support wagons)
Although the Airfix garage was prebuilt (dates back to layout 1, from when I was in my teens) it looked battered (which kind of fits, with its new use) so needed some light rework. Having a large window at the front was not appropriate for a store, so using square abs at a 45 degree angle, I fashioned a concertina door to replace it. New large and side doors were built and set back to give it an industrial feel. A complete repaint, with a lot of ageing features was done and some vegetation planted. Of course it had to have lights! So very dim and barely seen through the grime on the windows, most will just be glints through the cracks in the doors.
Airfix Garage front.jpg
Airfix Garage front.jpg (41.89 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
Airfix Garage concertina doors.jpg
Airfix Garage concertina doors.jpg (33.07 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
Airfix Garage concertina build.jpg
Airfix Garage concertina build.jpg (28.58 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
Airfix Garage roof.jpg
Airfix Garage roof.jpg (45.78 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
Airfix Garage dim light.jpg
Airfix Garage dim light.jpg (37.38 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

I like the battered look of a very very old airfix kit. :wink:
A bit of scaffolding on the outside would also look good.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Thanks mr Levin
Amongst 9 BOC tankers, a mail carriage and numerous wagon purchases on Sunday at the exhibition, I also spotted something, I have had an eye out for some time, being very jealous of Timbologist's, Ebay find in France, I seem to have done the same, as the paperwork that came with this lot relates to "how to display" as a guide to a shop stockist, so I believe I have purchased an old shops stock!
Linka Rooms Mini Packs.jpg
Linka Rooms Sets.jpg
Linka Rooms Flyer.jpg
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

Nicely done with the airfix kit
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

I missed a trick with the airfix maintenance depot shed (garage), I should have cut a corner out and glued brick behind it to signify chunks of render fallen off :roll: May yet go back to it. Thats the beauty of removable buildings/features, like at the moment the layout is naked, while I did the track weathering! I just need to adjust some of the servo's (if bad, I will have to tip the layout) and then I can start re-instating the buildings, bridge and platforms and start placing water towers, telegraph poles, etc.
I am currently making from scratch, a coach platform, that will soon get placed. Once all that is done, I can start mapping out the interconnect (servo cables) to the junction points of my ribbon cable automated lighting system, I also need to create a point switch mimic panel (now the track design is consolidated by being down) and install that. Lots to do and I would like to get most of it done in readiness for Guys visit and photo shoot!