Lumsdonia

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
timbologist

Re: Lumsdonia

Post by timbologist »

The I2C and the SPI system were designed for communications between devices on the same PCB to eliminate the need for at data bus and address bus to run everywhere
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

timbologist wrote: Which Arduino are you planning to use.
CANBUS sounds scary!
I have been using mini pro so far, but could upgrade if needed. Sounds like I need a VAT table in a master (handles just coms and data) that all can look up data in and get the master to poll for updates?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
timbologist

Post by timbologist »

The baby one, I am using that one to control my points, I can control 6 points on each one, using PWM to control sevrvo's to throw the points. Slow motion,I have a video on youtube that shows there operation.
timbologist

Post by timbologist »

Regarding your mimic panel a good option is using a MAXIM chip MAX7219 https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/ ... AX7221.pdf

Uses SPI so only need 3 lines on the Arduino to drive it MOSI CLK and CS and will drive 64 LEDS in an 8 x 8 matrix. I will be using this chip on my Mimic panel. easy to use as there is a library to make things simpler to use.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

TimberSurf wrote:[.
CANBUS sounds scary!
It's the basis of the control by wire systems in most cars. I once ran a computer system that used a development of CANBUS. Blindingly fast for its time, but with a total lack of error checking, so if a node missed part of a download the operator had to request it again. Or if the server missed your request you had to keep thumbing return. Made computer practical sessions a fun exercise, just right for "bored out of their skull" reluctant YTS apprentices. The ultimate computer game you versus the system.
PS it had a real mean "UFO shoot em up" game.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
timbologist

Post by timbologist »

Here is a good table that compares UART SPI AND I2C

http://www.rfwireless-world.com/Termino ... s-I2C.html
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

timbologist wrote:The baby one, I am using that one to control my points, I can control 6 points on each one, using PWM to control servos to throw the points.
So if you have one mini per 6 points, how do you communicated with them?
It is an interesting comparison chart that indicates all can communicate over 50ft! That' not what I have read so far. Research is saying max 6ft for I2C as a best practice, but longer is possible.
I2C looks ideal from the point of view of intercommunication between block Arduino's, but I am guessing that programming of swappable masters may get beyond my capabilities. SPI looks good, I could use a common table and share it from a central coms arduino as the master and could therefor live with the extra wiring.
At some point, I will sit down and draw a topology diagram, so I can see what needs to talk to what.
timbologist

Post by timbologist »

TimberSurf wrote:So if you have one mini per 6 points, how do you communicated with them?
At the moment non of the point set-up is present. most of the points have rubber bands holding them in place as I have taken the springs out. :oops:
It's on the one day list. Probably will use SPI 1 slave Mega, will probably have connection to 1 Mini, most of the points are in 1 area
TimberSurf wrote:It is an interesting comparison chart that indicates all can communicate over 50ft! That' not what I have read so far. Research is saying max 6ft for I2C as a best practice, but longer is possible.
The fine print is missing if you use boosters you can go further, and also if you drop the data speed down will go further, even 6 ft seems a bit far on un-boosted, unless you cut the data rate down.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

I have just returned from a two week trip and got an added bonus while away, as I managed to get an unplanned TRAIN visit included!

For the engine guru's, guess what this is and where?
Mistery trip.jpg
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

It's an Ex LMS 8F, but to 'where'is it' I don't know, but it has a hint of Asia about it :D

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

You are correct manna!
So here is another one you might recognise:-
Mistery trip 2.jpg
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Is it a North British company design? The style it is in makes me think a bit of India, but India would go overboard with their painting and it would be immaculately turned out.
Then we come to Africa ads many British locomotives ended up there as railways grew through the many African countries, so this would be my first choice of a continent, though to narrow it down to a single country there wouldn't be easy.
Many other countries ended up with British built locomotives as Britain exported world wide. In theory this locomotive could have been built anywhere between about 1910 to 1950 though it looks more like the 1920-30's that it would have been built as the 1940's saw Britain too involved in the war or cleaning up after the war.
It looks like it was likely to be used for passenger services in a warm climate where lightly laid track may have been the order of the day? Was just a thought.
Australia could be a possibility and even Turkey or places like that.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Is not Libya is it?
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Mountain gets the prize for mentioning the country! It's 56116 1'E (2-10-0) 1948 Beyer Peacock.
The previous pic, as manna got, is a 1941 North British 1'D (2-8-0) 24670 LMS Stanier 8F
Ok, I will put you out of your misery, there are over 30 steam engines at Çamlık Railway Museum, near Kusadasi in Turkey. It is the largest railway museum in Turkey and contains one of the largest steam locomotive collections in Europe. I will make a thread showing all the photos and upload to youtube and flickr soon.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

In case you cant find it, I tried a search and couldn't (you need the Ç to find it!) so here is the thread Çamlık Railway Museum