Lumsdonia

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
TimberSurf

Lumsdonia

Post by TimberSurf »

For the story and updates go to my website

http://www.lumsdonia.co.uk/index.html

Just a first draft, work in progress, I'll post a new thread in "layouts" for comments

Happy to field any comments here on the "build" or " Controls" or the website
Last edited by TimberSurf on Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
nickbrad

Re: Lumsdonia

Post by nickbrad »

Certainly an ambitious project and I look forward to following it's progress.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Last edited by TimberSurf on Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Website updated

Now with full track plan

http://www.lumsdonia.co.uk/track.html
Last edited by TimberSurf on Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
clivef5915

Post by clivef5915 »

I can only assume you are an octopus! :lol: 'cause you're going to need more than two hands to control that amount of track :shock: And as for wiring it, will the National Grid in your area be able to cope :!:
Genuinely, I think your plan is too expansive and the possible problems that you are going to encounter may diminish your enthusiasm.
But enjoy, your layout and you can do what you like.
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... [u][b]Bath Queen Square - as never was ![/b][/u]
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Yes I am an octopus, but with only two tentacles! :P The plan is actually to have 3 loops winding its way via 3 levels, but it is actually only 1, there will be 25 block controls each with a automatic braking, so I can run about 6 trains or more without attention. This will leave me free to a/ swap lanes in the storage yard to "exchange" trains in the main loop and b/ "fiddle" with the goods yards. As for wiring, the automation is just a dropper from the DCC buss to track via a bespoke circuit PCB I will build as a generic device that does block occupation sensing, DC brake injection and signal relays. The hard part will be the point control, 50 of them will be time consuming but very simple, I will make a single multicore to each one from a local mimic panels. Most of the other wiring (lights and block mimic indication) will be taken care of with two 40way ribbons, run like a bus around the layout, for each. :twisted: P.S I design the controls for complex conveyor systems for a living, so this is pretty straight forward for me.
TimberSurf

Added simplified drawing

Post by TimberSurf »

There is now a split drawing (at the bottom of the "track" tab) showing how the 3 levels, give one continuous 80 meter loop. Hopefully it gives a better idea for those that cant get the 3D element, straight in their noodle.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Bump!

My site has been up a week now and I have had about 300 visits (which is nice! :P )but,
Is no one gonna make any comments? I am open to any, good or bad, rip it apart by all means, I need the feedback so I can improve!
hiffano

Post by hiffano »

Hey feller be honest not a fan of looking at alternative sites, however i did go have a look, i like what I am seeing in the build. the actual layout side, i see some "interesting" electrical issues fr you to deal with but you seem to have thought it all through so i suspect you have it covered
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

I know going off to another site is a pain, but as I want it to be understandable and it being so complex, graphical is best! If I put pics on here, they are not under my control (cant edit them) so its easier to put on my site, plus this is not the only forum! Electrical, if you can expand on what you think issues may be, I can either explain how I have foreseen them or gasp at the glaring booboo flaw in my plan! (and resolve it). There are yet a few grey areas (reverse loops may be an issue) but everything else, I think I have in the bag. The floor is open, attack at will!
hiffano

Post by hiffano »

well, the reverse loop was the initial thought, so have you a solution :-)

and true re the forums, many out there
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

In reality, there are NO "reverse loops"! As nothing comes back to the same line! However, the "Y" (short dotted green lines) in the bottom right would be a problem, but phase 1 board would not have run without it and it will become semi redundant when phase 2 is complete. I will probably (to save ripping it up) rust it up, isolate it and not motorise the two points so it will become a "disused track". To be honest, with the unusable gradient issue on this board, I will probably rework most of it after phase 2 is complete and will remove the "y" at the same time.
Last edited by TimberSurf on Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Now added a "Controls and wiring" page to my website!

http://www.lumsdonia.co.uk/electrics.html
Last edited by TimberSurf on Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

The size & therefore cost for this is going to be astronomical.
How many years do you expect it to take ?

Geoff T.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Um.......well......... I took 2 weeks off work in 2006 and completed phase 1 boards, mutil-levels, track and ballasting! (pics on website only show half way through) and working away from home has stopped all work. But, I am semi-retired now, so have spent last 6 months catching up with DCC and doing the planning and design of phase 2. So don't hold your breath! In the mean time the room has become cluttered with storage, that needs sorting first but then I can start building frames. I guess I can optimistically look to have the boards complete in 6 months, the rest, a couple of years! :o By which time it will be time to move house, :o hence I am planning carefully around ease of dismantling!
Re cost, I have an awful lot, already, been collecting for years (not just rolling stock).
To buy:- NCE controllers and boosters, wood, point motors and eventually encoder fleet. Everything else is "in stock" inc. bridges, switches, wiring, buildings, all track, scenics, people, etc, etc.
Final phase 3 will be funds dependant, the last 50% of cobalts for the automation of the storage yard.