Lumsdonia

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
manna

Re: Lumsdonia

Postby manna » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:31 am

G'day Gents

Amazing what you can achieve, when you put your mind to it. Love the kayakers ?

Almost everything I see, I think to myself what can I use that for, whether it's a shaver box or and old watch.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:18 pm

Lovely Kayaks. Well done. I think it is great when someone 'knocks up' something. A pleasing achievement.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:04 pm

Thanks Manna and Glencairn

Yep, constantly on watch of packaging in home and shops as to it it might be scale useful!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:18 pm

Painted the spray decks and buoyancy aids and added ropes.
I also experimented with water resin, using a test piece with different materials at the sides and half of each waxed. Also tried some dyes in two area's. Yes I know there are lots of bubbles, that was because the resin reacts with the unsealed extruded polystyrene, as I wanted to see the dyes effect (need to use more!), I did not paint the bed. But all surfaces including the waxed ones caused the resin to wick up the sides, something I hate to see on layouts.
Does anyone know how to treat the side walls to stop the water resin creeping up them?

Kayak 04.jpg

Kayak 05.jpg

Water wick test 01.jpg

heda

Postby heda » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:50 am

Excellent work, I'm watching this with interest
Dave

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:10 pm

Work has begun on the other side of the stone bridge!

And on another note, past queries on here and recent enquiries on facebook have prompted me to write an essay on layout construction, I will add piccies later, but for now Layout Construction Guide

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:27 pm

I decided as I was to have a canal, then I should have some canal boats! Decided on some pleasure boats and found some OO scale from Craftline Models. Simple chunks of balsa and a shiny printed sheet for the sides. Never twigged until they arrived that they are Broad beam and not Narrow boats!
Never one to be the same as others, I found some real pics and photo-shopped them to fit.
Note the name of the Holiday cruise company!

Canal Boat Green Front 0549.jpg
Canal Boat Green Back 0549.jpg
Canal Boat Blue Front 0560.jpg
Canal Boat Blue Back 0556.jpg

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:55 am

Ahhh life in the slow lane.
TimberSurf wrote:Note the name of the Holiday cruise company!

When can I book? :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:38 pm

Sorry E2E, the entire fleet is in dry dock till water is flowing in the canal!

O.K. Time for a weekly sit-rep!
The stone bridge has been lurching forward over the last few weeks, I transferred the semi dry, texture rolled clay, via a sheet of grease proof paper, but its still a bit wonky! By filing back a recess were the corner stones go, I then laid strips of clay around the curves. No go, mostly fell off! So I got my trowel out and did a job of plastering with my herculite! I over egged it a bit (on purpose) to allow filing back to shape once dry. I then had to saw grouves to make the pointing. Next was to sort out the wonky lines and a few rips near the top. Filled with clay and effectively re scratched about half the brickwork pointing! Hence it has taken a long time.
I have bought a Faller Car System Starter pack. I am no where near ready to use it, but decided to purchase one for investigation. The main reason is that I wanted to lay the wire in the roads now and not have to attack the mature modules to retrofit it in a few years time.
I bought some alternative flexi magnet tape to try, it seems to work and I have already started cogitating idea's for cheap home made points and stop coils! (but that needs to wait, way to much on my plate to start investigating those idea's)
This means I have the Faller wire and could groove the bridge deck and glue it onto the bridge. I can now surface the deck and add the parapet inner wall surface and add coping stones.
For the Canal, I wanted a stone edging along the sides as it passes under the bridge, so I made the parts for a master with my silicon gun method, then assembled them and made a full master cast with 2 part silicon. It worked out great and by only half filling, I think I can cast all the coping stones for the bridge with it!
The cable stay bridge has stalled, as tying off all the wires is mind numbing! I will get them all done gradually in small doses (each end has two screws and a spring to be incorporated and tied off with great accuracy for the correct tension!)

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:02 pm

It would seem I have been keeping stum about another/concurrent project that is on my workbench! Mentioned elsewere but not documented in my threads, thought I had but obviously not as I can't find anything about it!

So.....

Lumsdonia experimental jet powered train

The library of Lumsdonia anecdotes is building, it will certainly be documented at one point on the website.

So to cover your curiosity, here is an extract

"The king of Lumsdonia was an astute businessman and pushed technologies in the Kingdom to the fore, having the resources of grain, livestock, coal and some rare metal ore quarries within the borders, he fostered the use of modern methodologies and advanced mechanisms and used the railway as the main transport infrastructure to great effect. As the Kingdom prospered, the King indulged his not insignificant financial power to investigate every possible emerging technology. He had an insatiable thirst for gadgets and new innovation, a passion that had forged the Kingdoms industries into large profitable organisations. That's not to say that there were not failures across the plethora of investigated projects. Some of his idea's were, well lets say misguided! Others were simply barmy!
One of his personal ambitions was to beat British Rail. He simply detested the whole principle of a State run railway. (Not that he counted himself in the same category, even though LR was state owned?)
Ruing the day, when the big four were amalgamated, he swore that the fifth (LR - his words not mine) would outshine the BR conglomeration.
Thus in 1962, the Jet Star PPT project was born. A full 8 years before the APT-E, the design was to use jet propulsion turbines to create electricity on board an electric train rather than to pick it up from a catenary. (the concept of tilting was never mentioned)
Designed and built entirely of Aircraft grade aluminium, two super modern carriages were built and two power loco's fitted, one at each end (sound familiar?)
Each engine would have a 2 one Mega watt gas turbine/alternator and generate 25KV, to be delivered to every axle.
The prototype was built and tested extensively, but a number of problems including noise abatement, engine fires (read meltdown) and four major crashes (non fatal, miraculously) all attributed to it's final demise just four years later, at which point it was scrapped. It was purported (unofficially) to have hit 132MPH, but that was the same day it crashed for the fourth time, hurling itself off a bend and 200ft into a field. The wreckage was retrieved, but never repaired and the project and train were scrapped a few months later. The King always muttered to himself about it later, that the APT-E had learned from the Kingdoms mistakes and introduced tilting for faster cornering."

"The SandyCombe Gazette questioned the official sources as to the reasons for the project abandonment and reported a quote from the Kings Press office to be
' If Lumsdonia owned a longer, straighter section of track, the Jet Star may well have achieved it full design speed of 450MPH'.
Upon questioning British rail about the project, BR were quoted as saying ' We cannot comment about projects that we have no involvement in, but the possibility of attaining speeds in excess of 300MPH on standard gauge track is simply preposterous!'

I needed to clear the decks of several ongoing projects on my workbench, but ended up starting the valley module as well, I now have most of the shells and will need to work on streamlining design and sourcing some motive power before the build starts.

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:27 am

So the beans have been spilled, we now know of the "Jet star" project. A very ambitious project. I assume that these unit's will be based on revamped turbocharged Hornby Dublo N2 chassis.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:24 am

The Jet star will be based on a HST chassis, Dublo!

After a lot of faffing about with the texture rolled clay, I managed to make a better job of the side that will be seen. I still had to do a lot of remedial work to basically hand trowel the corner stones in place later on and re scribe all the mortar lines then add the inner walls, coping stones and road surface.

Three Bridge Valley Stone Bridge build Video

Watch to the very end!

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:43 am

I'm always running a week to 10 days behind !!
Worse that our railways ..................

Love those boats, you really do need to fill that canal.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:10 pm

Hi Timber
Found your spoiler. Your bridge building just gets better and better absolutely love it.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:20 am

Cheers Dad-1 and Dublo.
Been working away, so progress is slow. Finally cracked the bearing supports (principles) for the bridges, the steel bridges all have pins in the legs and locating holes in the piers. Testing and casting of bearings is proceeding. The JETSTAR is finally in a filled and sanded down state, to be able to start painting, this means it will rapidly come together, but unfortunately, redecorating of the front room has now bubbled to the top of the list, so inevitably, modelling will take a back seat! I also need to rearrange and tidy the modelling room to create the space for the third module so that will also impact the build rate. Ho hum :P

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”