Acton North - Modern North London 00

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
actonnorth

Re: Acton North - Modern North London 00

Postby actonnorth » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:58 pm

Decided to do a little more to the railway today:

First off, finished off another section of the catenaries, just one more section to do, and then the only gaps to fill will be double/triple span catenaries, to which Dapol are due to release some, failing that, the Triang catenaries will suffice just well.

Ive also started building a warehouse and loading platform for the container terminal. Like the station building, there is nothing on the market which matches my imagination, so, self building has re-started. The image shows the 'raw' building, and more detail etc is to be added. I know its not as good a standard as some scratch built items, but, for a personal loft layout, it serves its purpose.

Have a good night all.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:52 pm

Ive added a little bit of detail and colour to the trackside today. Slowly but surely.

Ive also brought a pendolino today. At £45, there was no way I couldn't!

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:40 pm

actonnorth wrote:Ive also brought a pendolino today. At £45, there was no way I couldn't!

It wouldn't be the WCML without one would it? I assume its the 4 car set - so I guess you'll be on the lookout for more coaches.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:16 am

It wouldn't be the WCML without one would it? I assume its the 4 car set - so I guess you'll be on the lookout for more coaches

Its true, however, I intend to have a fleet of 3 (2x standard and 1x Alstom liveried), so, when I can get bargains like that, I seize them.

I already have 2 spare coaches for the sets, so, just need an extra pantograph car for this set. Also, one of the 2 standard sets will have an interchangeable driving car to dummy car, so that class 57 drags can be simulated.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:17 pm

Did just a little bit on the railway. Below is the network rail yard, with still some way to go.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:05 pm

As I am awaiting a few bits to continue with the network rail yard, Ive moved around the layout slightly, to see how I can model the tunnel portals near the TMD.

Due to the wide berth for the curve radius, the tunnels were to be staggered but with an urban/nature taking back over look.

Below is the start of the project:

As this is a 'learn as I go' layout, I know things are not 'perfect', nor am I under any illusion it is even 'exhibition standard', but, its mine, and I can change it as my skills develop, so, Im happy.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:46 pm

The station and town scene is now starting to come alive:

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:58 pm

Some more layout work done.

The station area is starting to get built up now, just needs more cars, buses, coaches, vans, taxis and wagons to make the area feel more 'London'.

Ive also started building up a network rail measurement train. I need another class 31, an MK2 and another MK1.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:04 am

Looks good - in particular the markings on the car park which look very realistic. How did you do them?

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:36 pm

Hi skyblue.

The road markings are hand drawn with an acrilic paint pen. I have also done some double yellows and junction grids too.

Also with the yellow i have put safety lines near the platform edge.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:06 pm

Ive taken the plunge and purchased a Hornby e-link DCC control system.

It connects the track to a computer (perfect as I have an old laptop I no longer use, so, it will now have a new purpose in life).

The e-link controls the trains, signals, points and more. It maps out the layout so that you can easily keep track of where the loco's are, and know exactly which points/signals you need to change. It can hold over 1000 loco addresses and 1000 more points/signals (oodles more than I will ever need).

It was only £85 with a 4 amp transformer too. This makes it cheaper than the elite and much cheaper than the high end systems, to which, quite frankly I find the elink is more advanced thanks to the map system. Lastly, it can also be controlled by several smartphones and tablets, so, I have freedom to move about the layout.

Overall, Im quite excited about the control system, and will update once the system is in use.

On another note, I am considering video updates via Youtube. Would that be of interest to anyone?

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:35 pm

Videos are always good Actonnorth. Bring em on.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:23 pm

Well, after much troubleshooting and programming, I can finally introduce the DCC command centre:

The track is connected to the PC via the Hornby elink. When the decoders are brought, all of the points, signals and locos will all be controlled via this screen, and, my mobile telephone for mobile running.

It has been a godsend, as I no longer require miles of wiring, not more switches and very little hassle. The points and signals will be controlled via the 'map', and locos are controlled via the panel on the right. Its simple point and click.

Overall, Im over the moon with the product, and given I see this being the way forward eventually, its nice to be 'ahead of the curve' for once.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:48 pm

Just a quick update.

All is still progressing with Acton North, but, due to other commitments, its been a little slower than Id like.

Ive still got a lot of wiring to do, such as points (I have got 1 points decoder but, Im having a real nightmare getting it to play ball with the railmaster software).

Ive also done a bit more scenery around the container terminal, but, as said, its slightly slower progress. Im deliberating whether to use a gantry crane for the containers, or, reach stackers given the 'mixed mode goods' that will use the sidings.

I have just brought a new class 67 to add to the collection, and also an Oxford diecast 'London Ambulance'.

Im on holiday for 10 days from Sunday, so, will endeavour to get more done over the 'dark and cold nights' period!

Thanks for reading.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:42 pm

Hi everyone,

Just an update to tell you all what's going on with the railway.

There is no progress to speak of, apart from a bit more stock acquisition. I have been busy at work and been on holiday to the USA, so, not much done at all. Ive also been having a major issue with the E-link as it just does not communicate with the Hornby points decoders at all.

Anyway, the major news is, that Acton North is about to undergo some serious engineering work!

I was looking at the layout the other day, and realised that there are a few issues with the track. I don't quite know what has happened since it was laid, but, when building, I gauge tested all the stock I would be using to check curve radius' were ok and all the points worked. Since then, my pendolino stock (but not limited to) in particular are having huge issues getting around the curves near the station and network rail yard, and at least 2 sets of points are either causing de-raiment and another not contacting the outside rail fully, so, loss of power.

The other main issue, and one many can probably identify with, is that I now see I have been far too ambitious for the space I had. I wanted the whole shebang. TMD, Station and container terminal.
The container terminal in particular has been troublesome, as it cannot hold a full rake, which means a lot of shunting, which, is not possible due to the gradient down to the track as soon as you exit the terminal.
The rest of the project, is just far too large to ever seem like I am making any good headway with scenery and so on.

So, the solution.... a rebuild.

The layout will no longer be a full loop, but more of an end to end layout in terms of scenery.

There will still be a loop, but, this will be a fiddle yard.

The container terminal is gone, I will be content with intermodal traffic just running through. There will be a TMD in the alcove, and I'm just trying to find where I can put my station, in terms of which will work best.

So, its off to the drawing board, and, we will see why comes off.

Thanks for reading.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”