Acton North - Modern North London 00

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
actonnorth

Re: Acton North - Modern North London 00

Postby actonnorth » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:14 pm

The 'concrete' is now down, however I just need to smooth off some of the potholes and straighten out the edges.

The end of the yard that was to be the loco run around and fuel point is now a loco run around and a scrap transfer point.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:57 pm

Little bits of scenery in the TMD area:

And the station area looking more complete:

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:16 pm

Hi.
Just read through your thread and have enjoyed it very much.
Shall be checking back frequently to keep up with your progress on this.
Keep up the good work.
Jas.... :D

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:47 pm

Thanks for the comment.

Progress is finally getting there. All the track is now down barring the fiddle yard (I still don't quite know which format I'm going to on the fiddle yard front) but, it's now just about the scenery,nwhich is the best place it's been in for a long time.

It's just acquiring the scenery I want that could take its time, as, some of my needs are rather 'bespoke', and, I'm rubbish at scratch-building (I'm not even saying that to be modest, I really am haha).

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:50 pm

What type of scenic items are you requiring? I often have access to unusual materials to make scenery or specific buildings etc.
Jas... :D

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:29 pm

Ideally I need about 15 double span catenaries for the over head wires.

I've been trying to aquire the triang double span ones (I have 2 in my bay platforms), but, they seem to be getting harder and harder to get hold of, as the last 2 I saw for sale went for £80 per double pack, and as much as I love my railway, I'm not paying £80 for a small piece of plastic.

There are some continental examples that occasionally knock about, but, they don't fit in to what I want.

In terms of buildings, I want more of the type you see in my embankment section. Tall, modern looking ones.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:25 pm

Scenery coming along, as now have a construction site:

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:16 pm

That's a nice touch adding a large construction site complete with girders. I can see that one on the third level getting knocked off a few times as you work on the scenery behind it. :roll:

Paul

manna

Postby manna » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:40 am

G'day Gents

Would the Airfix/Dapol signal gantry be of any use for OHLE !!! think it's been used in the past. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:00 pm

There is also a tower crane to be added to the construction site, and should be arriving this week.

js1975

Postby js1975 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:49 pm

actonnorth wrote:Image

That Odeon looks like the one on the A406 North Circ - I think it's now or was a Virgin Active?

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:09 pm

Hey guys.

Long time since I last posted, and basically, a LOT of stuff has gone on.

I’ve moved jobs, moved house, 2 kids under the age of 4, it’s all been going on.

So, with the house move, as you can guess, Acton North is no more. It was heartbreaking ripping it all out, as I had got so far with this one, but, it couldn’t be moved with us.

The house we moved to is a new build town house, and with that, we thought we didn’t have a loft so most of the rail stuff was sold (or in some cases binned if it was too damaged). I still have lots of track and points, as well as some rolling stock (mostly wagons that I didn’t have time to sell before we moved).

The good news then came, that we do actually have a loft! But, I now have a new dilemma.

The lost space is too small for me to do a layout of any decent size. I prefer trains of decent rakes. The old loft allowed trains of 10-14 wagons (such as intermodals) as well as 8-9 coach trains. This new loft space simply won’t allow me to do that without the train literally ‘tail chasing’ which just won’t do,

That means Im going down to N gauge. I know it’s not as detailed, a bit more fiddly and so,e of the items I want look a little harder to come by, but, it’s the only way of achieving what I want to achieve. I’ll post a layout plan in time, but for now, I’m busy boarding the loft and then will move on to the baseboards.

The layout I’m going for will be a modern day, 4 track mainline ‘tail chaser’ layout. It will have a 6 platform station (4 through with 2 bays), a small TMD, countryside scene, town/embankment scene and possible goods yard. I’m debating whether to have a ‘under baseboard multi track fiddle yard’, or a same level ‘cassette fiddle’ whereby the track enters a tunnel, and then hidden away is a point to load a cassette with the next train on it. Simply swap the cassettes over when you want to swap trains.

There is a lot still to plan. I’ve ordered some track and a few buildings to see just what I’m getting myself into and if it is indeed the direction I want to take. If it ie either too small, or too hard to start acquiring items, then it may be back to the OO drawing board to see what I can do there.

Anyway, keep safe everyone, and hope to be able to start updating again soon. If I do go down the N route, then, I will have a separate thread as it will be a completely new layout.

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:30 pm

Well, I enjoyed the thread upto here, I think you habe the same problem I get where I have a better idea too late and have to go back start again repeatedly!

Looking forward to your layout in N guage, I think you're right to focus on a freight depot as that gives more interesting operational options than a pure passenger layout. As much as I like seeing express trains race about!

Is your apprentice is old enough to play trains yet?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”