Acton North - Modern North London 00

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
actonnorth

Re: Acton North - Modern North London 00

Postby actonnorth » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:35 pm

Well, my station building is on its way, and I'm quite excited!

I've ordered th Faller Horrem DB station. I'm obviously not going to use the DB insignia, but, the station fits what I'm after perfectly.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:35 pm

The station area coming together. The fenced compound area will eventually become the station building. It's on order from Germany as the Faller Horrem station doesn't seem to be available from the UK.

There are bus stops, a taxi rank, car park and the likes.

The old plank wagons are 'on display' next to platform 1.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:47 pm

And the embankment town scene

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:29 pm

I love your use of the space as a building site while you wait on the station building arriving. I had a look at that Faller kit you have bought. It will make a very nice modern day station once it is in situ. Is that the Metcalfe paving slabs you are using for the pavements? If so, they are very effective.

Paul

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:34 pm

With all your changing what you're doing I must admit I'd lost track of what you actually had! It's looking very good indeed, really coming together. I think they do look like those metcalfe paving slabs. If you, can I recommend you brush some watered down PVA over the top, as in my experience the sticky backs can be a bit temperamental, and this solved it for me. A light weathering will take the resultant shine off. Also perhaps some curbs just to frame it off? I know you don't get many in a pack but you can cut more from the surrounding card if you need too.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:59 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the comments.

In terms of the slabs, they are cpglued down with 'uhu' glue, keeps them in place as I agree, the sticky side is about as useful as a chocolate teapot. I will eventually get the kerbs done, it's just a matter of getting around to the job.

As seen as my station building is a long way from being completed, I just liked the idea of a 'building site' in situ until it's ready.

There's still a lot to do, but, thanks for the comments, always nice to have feedback in the absence from any at home (the wife isn't interested at all haha).

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:06 pm

This beauty arrived today:

And construction started in earnest:

It's a very very fiddly set, but, I'm hoping the results will be worth while.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:47 pm

Station building almost complete. Just need a final few details now

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:11 pm

Interesting buffer stops there ;)

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:01 pm

Some more progress on the station. It's slowly getting there for a full urban scene.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:03 pm

The station now has 3 complete platforms!

Just awaiting a delivery of 1 more pack of peco platform edges and then platform 4 will be on the way:

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:05 pm

Arty shot looking down the bay platforms:

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:15 pm

The past few weeks have been quite productive.

The station in its basic form is almost complete. My skillet is quite basic, so, I'm quite proud of myself for custom building a curved platform that fits the space perfectly and gives the right clearances.

Obviously lots of detailing and Ballasting to do, such as people, station furniture and the likes. One area that is going to cause me a headache is obtaining more of the triang 'double span gantries' for the over head power lines. They are like gold dust to get hold of now, and, as said, I do not have the skill set to even contemplate scratch building my own. I just cannot get the hang of such fine scale work, whether it be gluing or soldering. I do wonder if anyone has any suggestions for other types of double span catenaries?

In terms of the rest of the layout:

-The bus wire and droppers are almost back in place again after the latest track work. I just need to wire up the embankment baseboard to give it the full loop and then it's done. I've also got a secondary bus ready to extend onto the TMD area, and need to do another bus wire for the eventual fiddle yard (I'm still not 100% how I'm going to do my fiddle yard, whether it's a run under the layout or into a small inglenook I have behind the layout).

-I've laid a little more 'concrete' for the container terminal. Still requires a lot of work, so, this may be a while away from any pictures are shown.

-There is still no TMD track laid down, once the station and container terminal are done, I shall move onto that area, as, it's a huge project in itself.

That's all for now, good night.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:36 pm

Decided to have a tester section of the goods terminal to see how it would turn out. I'm quite pleased with the 'raw' result, so, I know which direction to continue with now:

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:55 pm

Hi some nice modern era modelling there. Re the double span portal frames, take a look at the Plastruct sections, looks to me like you would make a pretty convincing version from two pieces of H section girder and a length of their open truss beam or whatever the stuff with the diagonal struts is called. They do a smaller one which would be about right for the catenery supports, I used some of the larger one to support my platform canopy and it looks quite good when glimpsed through the roof lights.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”