Acton North - Modern North London 00

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
actonnorth

Re: Acton North - Modern North London 00

Postby actonnorth » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:10 pm

Now the E-link is working, , I have made a start, albeit a slow start, on the scenery.

I'm starting at the northern end, with the tunnels and ballasting.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:19 pm

Did a fair bit to the railway today.

The ballasting at the Northern end, from the tunnels to the platforms. Ive glued down the platform edge slabs, erected some railings and added a bit of greenery. Lastly, Ive started added some lighting to the station as well as starting to install some colour signals.

Also went to the model shop today, brought said lights and signals. Also brought some fencing for the northern end urbanity. Also brought 3 low sided EWS workers wagon to add to my engineers train rake which includes some network rail yellow wagons.

In terms of other purchases, I'm bidding on 2x double gantry catenaries to add to the bay platforms.

Anyway, on to the pictures:

First one shows the newly ballasted tracks leading to the tunnels and the new wagons. Ive since added some scenery in the blank space between the tracks.

Station scene. Ive added fences near the bay platforms and glued down the slabs since this picture was taken.

Anyway, have a good night!

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:40 pm

It all looks very good, in particular as there's more to the layout than just the railway, with the wide spaces either side of the tracks.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:50 pm

Thanks Skyblue

Ive gone for the 'exhibition style' layout with just 3 sides of scenery and 'fiddle yards' at the back. (although the layout certainly won't be exhibition standard).

I also wanted to make space or scenery and have ease of operation, rather than just fill every bit of baseboard with track.

I'll try and get a track plan drawn up to give an idea of what goes where, and, I'm still intending to start a video series to document the construction and running.

The only bit of the layout I want to change is to get 2-3 more storage roads, but, that wouldn't impact on running anyway, I just need to work out how to get some more board above the loft hatch without it getting in the way.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:54 pm

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:56 pm

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:57 pm

Just added 2 more pics as they were on my mobile so added them through the internet on that.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:10 pm

Very happy bunny right now.

Managed to pick up the very rare Virgin Charter Relief 3 coach pack for £90, instead of the usual price of £155 (not an official proce guide but seems to be what most go for on ebay at the moment).

That means just 1 more coach needed for a full rake.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:46 pm

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update from me.

Layout is still going, although little has been done in the past few weeks as been busy at work, and then my days off have encountered some slab-laying in the back garden which is a continuation of last summers driveway work.

Anyway, the little progress that has been made entails of:

-A new bachmann art deco signal box, which is very hard to get hold of.

-Installing the platform lighting which is still a work in progress.

-2 new buildings have been purchased and assembled, which are high rise flats/shops (will take a picture of these as the price is great, easy to assemble and quite detailed).

-re-layed the TMD as it was quite inefficient and 'clunky', so, tracks now much better

-Ordered a 'traintronics' modern signal gantry to go across the platforms at the southern end, should be with me soon.

Anyay, have a good night :)

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:23 pm

Just an update from me.

Im still here, and the layout is still going.

The warmer weather has meant that I have had to do the jobs in the garden that I have long promised my wife, such as converting an outhouse to a utility room, paving the back garden and putting up some furniture.

Im aiming to get some work done on sunday, which will involve wiring up the platform and some internal lights, constructing my traintronics modern signal gantry and general bits n bobs work.

With a baby due, there hasn't been much spending money on the railway, and, unlikely to do so for a while, so, its going to be a mainly 'make do with what I have' period.

Have a good night :)

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Mon May 11, 2015 12:33 pm

Hi guys,

Just a little bit more done to the railway this week.

The signal gantry is up, just need to wore up the colour signals now. Ive also wired up the platform lights on 2 platforms, just 1 to go now.

Ive also started to add some scenery detail to the network rail yard and the backscene between the tunnels and platform. Lastly, all the tracks in the TMD are fully laid, so, will have to wire them up at some point.

Ive got some more wooden fencing to continue to create the backscene as mentioned above, Ive got another signal for the up lines at the tunnel.

So, with a week off coming up, I am to try and finish off the Network rail area. Ive brought some more 'workmen' and a digger, as there will be lots of ballast piles/sleepers due to it being a 'trackcare' centre'. Ive also wired up 2 lights and sprayed the ground grey to help me on my way to looking good.

Ill also continue to build up the scenery between the station and tunnels. This area is coming on leaps and bounds now. As you view the track, the network rail yard is at the front, then the main lines, then a small town backscene, so, shouldn't be too long before this area is almost done.

Ill try and add some photo's next week, but, overall, progress is good.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Wed May 20, 2015 8:19 pm

Hi guys,

As promised, a photographic round up:

Atmospheric station with lights. The platform furthest away is also now lit up.

The network rail yard all lit up too

The network rail yard and tall townscene in the background.

The TMD area behind the station.

A close up of the tall town backscene. In the story of 'Acton North', this area used to be a TMD, and just out of shot to the right is the old trackbed into the depot, which will be weathered/overgrown and such when I have the time. Also, the paths/roads will be fully constructed as well as shop signs/fronts added.

In terms of other jobs I need to do:

I have more signals to install, but is slow progress due to how expensive they are. Ive just been delivered a double headed, 4 aspect signal to fit between platforms 5 and 6. I need another 2 aspect for the tunnel area next.

I have a Bachmann Scenecraft 'drive through restraunt', which due to the famous shape, will be a Mcdonalds. This will go on the raised section next to the TMD, and I also have 4x 2 headed 'plaza lights' to help set the scene off. Lastly the wooden fencing seen on the TMD photo will go around the edge.

In terms of the netwrk rail yard, I have a chain link fence on order to go around the yard, and a bit more weathering to set the scene off.

I also have to buy some more catenaries to finish the southern end of the layout, as well as into the TMD. I want to get some of the old 'triang double catenaries' for the southern end, as well as to attach to the wall into the TMD.

The good news is that the E-link still works (joy to the world), and the wiring of lights was less painful that I expected (just need more switches for my signals now!)

Thats all for now, as ever, comments and feedback is welcome :D

AustralisRico

Postby AustralisRico » Thu May 21, 2015 12:07 am

That's looking awesome! Good ballast although do you plan to weather it/change its colour? The night shots are excellent, the time spent wiring was worth it.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Thu May 21, 2015 5:05 pm

Work hs begun on the McDonalds next to the TMD.

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu May 21, 2015 7:55 pm

How about a "night ride" video ? :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”