Acton North - Modern North London 00

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
skyblue

Re: Acton North - Modern North London 00

Postby skyblue » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:35 pm

Sometimes it's not a bad idea to have a redesign even when you've got the track laid - at least now you know what you want from the layout. Will you be incorporating the scenic work you have already done into the layout?

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:41 pm

Hi Skyblue.

Thanks for the comments.

I will be incorporating some scenery parts, such as my station building and road bridge, but, I may re-start some of the scenery.

I feel like I have learnt a bit more since I started, so, have some better ideas, and also, the re-design means a total rip-up and re-think of where things are going.

For example, I'm going to try and make the station platforms a bit more detailed than just slapping some paint on them. The smaller section of scenery running means I can focus more time getting the scenery right, rather than being daunted by the task at hand.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:07 pm

Well,

Took the plunge, and, started dismantling a lot of the railway.

I now have an idea in my head that seems to work, so, will now try and translate this idea into reality.

The main points are, Acton North now becomes a small terminus in the top corner, and Acton Junction will now be the main scenic station. There will be a TMD behind the station, with scenic breaks at each end and a fiddle yard/loop after the breaks.

Despite the amount of work in the description, its actually much more compact and should be a lot easier to manage.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:10 pm

Sounds good - looking forward to seeing what you decide on.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:21 pm

Started planning the station area today.

Quite happy with the track layout thus far, and I will try and post a picture tomorrow.

Basically, the platforms are about 7ft long. Its a very similar design to my previous station, with 4 through lines and 2 bay platforms.

There are however, 6 lines going through the station, a there is a bypass loop and entry into the TMD on the inside of the board, then, between platforms 2 and 3, there is an extra line for freight or through traffic. It can also be used for stabling if I so wish.

On platform 1, the platform also narrows to allow an engine siding (like at Warrington Bank quay etc).

The pictures tomorrow should help explain the above, as sometime word do not make clear what the idea actually is.

I'm now trying to get the curves at each end of the station done. I want to have long, sweeping curves to allow faster running and prevent derailments, but, they also need to incorporate some point work too, so, could turn into a slight challenge.

Thanks for reading, and, as said, pictures to follow asap.

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:38 pm

It is rare to get things right first time, as long as you learn from the mistakes it has not been a waste of time.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:09 pm

The pictures I'm afraid you have to click on the link as the forum keeps saying the picture is too big, despite it being the same format and size of every other picture I have loaded.

http://tinypic.com/r/2uek16t/8

From the 'Northern' end. From left to right you have a network rail yard, Platform 6, then bays 5 and 4, platform 3, the middle avoiding line, platform 2, 1 and then the other avoiding line and access to the TMD.

At the front, there I an engine stable carved out of the platform on the right.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:17 pm

Looks good - my only comment would be that the clearance between the tracks looks a bit tight, but then that might just be the angle from which the photo is taken. Having an engine stabling point carved out of the platform will look good.

actonnorth wrote:The pictures I'm afraid you have to click on the link as the forum keeps saying the picture is too big, despite it being the same format and size of every other picture I have loaded.

How do you load them?

On my layout thread I right click on the picture on my Picasa webpage (very similar to your Tinypic webpage) and click 'Copy Image URL'. I then paste this into the brackets in my post. It has the advantage (for me) of not letting people click on the picture and get onto my Picasa page, I say this is an advantage as it's linked to my Google account so it has my name and email on there. If you know how to do this already, please ignore this.

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:45 pm

The source picture is over 1024 pixels wide which is the maximum the forum will except, your others are obviously below that size. Perhaps you inadvertently changed the settings on your camera, or something similar.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:45 pm

Done a little more on the railway.

Platforms are now spray painted grey, and I have ordered some 'flag stone' strips for the platform edges.

I have also done a bit more track work to the 'Northern' end of the station, but, I need another set of curved points to be able to finish that section off. The main bulk of the station track is pinned down now, just platform 6 and the 2 bay platforms to do.

There is still a lot more track work to do at the 'Southern' end, as I'm trying my best to incorporate the point work and leave space for the curves without sharpening their radius.

Lastly, still the TMD to lay, but, I'm going to treat that as a separate project for the time being, and focus on getting the station section right first.

I'll attach pictures when I can.

Stock wise, I have just ordered a set of Dapol GBRF FEAB intermodal wagons. I do like the Bachmann intermodal's, but, the Dapol wagons win on aesthetic prowess hands down!

Thanks for reading.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:38 pm

Here are the pics:

Looking 'North':

Platform 1 is on the far left, platform 6 on the far right. Bay platforms 4 & 5

Looking at the 'Northern' end of the station. The top of the picture where the loco is, is the exit line from the TMD (after a headshunt), or, can be a stabling/bypass line for shorter trains. The line between platforms 2 & 3 is a bypass/stabling line. The 'closeness' is intentional.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:40 am

A lot more done in the past 2 days.

The 'Northern' end of the station, fiddle yard and network rail sidings are now down.

Left to complete main loop/station wise is the 'Southern end' and the headache of the point work associated with that. I envisage that in the next few days, all the main track will be done, and I can start to look at laying the TMD down (just doing the track work there will aid in storage of some more rolling stock.

My Dapol FEAB intermodal has arrived, and also brought a 2nd hand MK2 in intercity colours to convert to a 'lounge car' for my Caledonian sleeper rake. Also brought a 2nd hand 'monorail' MK1 to convert to Network rail yellow.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:07 pm

A bit more done today.

Full loops now complete, and laid a lot of the TMD.

Next stage is to finish off the TMD tracks (just need some more flexitrack), then, the wiring. Luckily, the previous BUS wire follows 90% of the track plan, so, it will be just a matter of re-adjusting the dropper wires.

Anyway, some photos:

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:48 pm

Looking good. I like the sleeper train, are you planning to get one of Bachmann's new Class 90's to haul it?

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:14 pm

Hi Skyblue,

The sleeper will be hauled by an EWS class 90, which is on its way after being purchased tonight.

I have brought the Virgin Charter relief Class 90+DVT, as the class 90 is for the Sleeper, and the charter relief will be hauled by my freightliner class 90. I need to buy the charter coaches however, which I have 1 but need the 3 coach set and another 2 Std coaches.

I have also just brought a rake of 6 SSA scrap wagons, that look awesome.

After the charter relief coaches, next on my hit list is the Alstom livered Pendolino.

Next up will be some network rail JNA's (about 6 more), and 4 railtrack auto ballasters (already have the generator wagon).

I also have my eye on the 8 pack special of megabox wagons from Hattons, some more silver VGA's and a DB Shenker class 92 to haul my VGA's and intermodals.

All in all, an expensive hobby!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”