Acton North - Modern North London 00

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
actonnorth

Acton North - Modern North London 00

Postby actonnorth » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:23 pm

Hi guys.

Well after much talk and no action from myself in the planning section, work has begun on my layout, with construction of the first few baseboards.

A link to my previous topic can be found here for the plans etc:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=39524

And here is the pic of the first 3 boards of approx. 13 boards:

Im using chipboard. Now, I know some will groan 'not that stuff', but, unfortunately I have a limited budget and quite a large space. The loft has no history of damp issues and I have worked with it in the past.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the journey.

luckymucklebackit

Re: Acton North - The adventure begins.

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:56 pm

Nowt wrong with chipboard, Gateside and Northbridge is built complately on chipboard, when adequately braced it is as good as anything,

Good luck with your project.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:02 pm

You don't mention one, but do you have spirit level, a one metre one? It can be a bit embarassing when the stock starts rolling out of the siding :) lofts can be relied on to be anything but level.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:10 pm

Hi bufferstop

Yes, have a long spirit level (out of shot). Yes, it would be rather funny seeing stock self propel itself away. Not quite the realistic image I was going for though lol.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:45 pm

The good news is, the loft now has power. We had an old water boiler where the wire was left in an old junction box, so I have used that to get up to the loft without any wall gouging!

Also, baseboard 6 is now up, only a few more to go!

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:48 pm

Below is a hand drawn 'final' plan of what I hope to achieve. As its hand drawn, its not to scale but fits the space I have well. The descriptions of the areas are below the image:

-The right hand side and bottom right corner is a 6 platform station (4 through 2 bay), and an engine stable. The station building will be on a board above the platforms, which will hide the corners and also give an impression of a bigger station.

-The top right corner is the incline up to the container terminal (at the back of the mainline and suggested by jon_1066 in my last thread, so thank you so much for the idea), and also a plasser/network rail siding. The main line loop continues under the container terminal. Also under the container terminal will be a couple of storage lines, capable of holding 4 coaches. Otherwise there would be a fair bit of wasted space and this means I do not have to keep getting smaller trains in and out of boxes.

-The top left of the layout is the continuation of the loop, and then a TMD. This area is still far from decided as to the layout so could change as time continues. It will roughly contain a DMU/EMU shed with 4 roads, an engine shed of 2 roads, fuel point, wash and other sidings. In terms of 'road access' for 'real life issues', that will be via a ramp from the upper container depot.

-As we come around to the bottom left corner, this will be mainly 2 track mainline and scenery. Depending on how I lay out the TMD, it may contain a head-shunt and access point to the TMD. However, there will for sure be less trackwork here, otherwise operation gets complicated, and this is one of the best areas for scenery (due to ceiling height), and the UK does contain some scenery and not full of track lol.

-The bottom wall of the layout is going to be a very narrow, and pretty much scene-less area as the loft hatch is in this area, and one section will be a 'lift out' section due to the ladders etc. The area is only for the purpose of operating a continuous loop, and there will be plenty to keep me going on the other 3 sides so that I do not worry about the basic-ness of this side.

------------------------------------------------------

So, on to the construction side.

The base boards for the 'top' part of the plan are done. I just need to do the far left baseboards and the bottom baseboards. Once those are in, the real fun can begin, although baseboard construction will have to resume later to build the upper container terminal. I will update the picture offering once all the boards are done, and as ever, feel free to comment (as its always good to get other perspectives incase Ive missed something glaringly obvious and such).

Happy new year all!

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:22 pm

I look forward to seeing this progress, it looks very well planned and your track plan looks interesting and very neatly drawn!

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:46 pm

Just some pictures of the construction so far:

The station area. The wood crossing over the platform is a representation of where the upper board will be to house the station building/town scene.

Looking 'north' from the station area. In this scene you can see the top of the station, around to where the incline for the goods terminal will be and the plasser/network rail yard. The baseboards on the left will be under the cover of the goods terminal and house the tunnel for the main line loop and a few storage lines.

This is just left of the last picture, showing where the goods terminal will be (centre of the picture) and where the main line loop will emerge on the left.

I particularly like this design as the tunnel under the goods terminal seems very long due to the fact the base board layout gives the illusion the tunnel is emerging in a completely different space.

That's all for now, just a few more baseboards to build and then its mainly railway construction from here on out.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:29 pm

Went to S&J Models northwich today, what a fantastic place!

Most stuff is second hand, but is an absolute treasure trove.

Managed to pick up several points including a 3 way point, and 10-ish pieces of peco code 100 flexitrack concrete sleeper and only spent £20. Bargain!

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:56 pm

That is a bargain, I'm still after an SLe-91 and 92, but they cost more than what you spent brand new lol

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:47 pm

It was a bargain. I got 1x3 way and 4 other points (mostly long left/right, I don't know the codes) and 10 pieces of the peco track. Managed to map half of the junctions leading to the so its looking good!

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:45 pm

Just a quick post of some more pictures:

Looking towards the station. I have eliminated the engine stable as the pointwork would not really fit the area.

Here you see the main line loop at the front, the plasser siding behind and then the long wood is where the incline to the goods terminal ends. The large block of wood represents where a portacabin will be located, with a bridge under the goods line to the left of that block.

Have a good evening.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:30 pm

Im off to S&J models again on Friday.

Shopping list will include 17 sets of points, track pins, rail joiners, track cleaner and a plenty of flexitrack.

With this I intend to get the station section down, the start of the incline, the under goods terminal section of track and the 3 under terminal baseboard storage tracks.

This will then enable me to get the upper baseboards for the goods terminal down, but not fixed as will still need to wire the points underneath as well as those for the goods terminal (although I may leave them to be a MK1 hand for the time being). There will be no scenic work required for the section under the goods terminal so should be pretty straight forward.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the budget allows, I aim to buy a pack of Bachmann intermodals, not only to add to the collection but test the gauging for corners and clearances. The last time I had a model railway these always seemed to be the worst de-railers and worst for clearance. I will also aim for a pendolino coach for the same reason (the tilt makes them even worse for clearance), and if they have one, a Caledonian MK3 sleeper as that's a rake I intend to build up and seem to be getting more and more sparse retail wise. My collection of stock is woeful at the moment so could do with a small injection.

Thats all for now, more pics when something worthwhile is worth posting.

jon_1066

Postby jon_1066 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:30 am

Just seen this. A great start - you have really motored along. Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

actonnorth

Postby actonnorth » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:16 pm

Milestone reached today, the baseboards now form a full and complete loop. Been a long slig but glad this milestone has been reached!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”