The outcast workbench thread

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
outcastjack

Re: The outcast workbench thread

Postby outcastjack » Fri May 02, 2014 3:59 pm

Cheers! I really love just making things because I can, it takes longer but it does make people smile when they look through a window.
Yep, it the 2012 TdF I am fairly sure it was stage 2 but that is just me being Mega geeky and guessing from those in the background.

And fruit cake is my favorite sort of cake. =D
Above all its a Rover.

http://www.pendonmuseum.com
or visit my layout.
or my other models.

outcastjack

Postby outcastjack » Mon May 12, 2014 12:09 am

Carrying on with the railway related work I have been trying to make a set of models of MoD PFA container wagons.
I got a computerised cutter last week and it is great! I was able to draw the plans for the basic shape on the computer and can run multiple files, the precision is amazing and the real beauty is that i can run off multiple examples with no extra effort.

this is my first attempt and the design has already been changed quite dramatically to improve issues i found during assembly

Parts cut out:

Assembled

Painted and with a container. please ignore the poor painting, my compressor is bust at the moment so i can't airbrush.

Obviously a lot of extra detail is needed and a few other things have been changed from this design since assembly: the suspension mounts were 2mm to far apart, some of the deck detail looked wrong and the shape of the solebars has been changed.
if anyone wants plans and instructions PM me, it will be easy to make from plasticard cut manually, I have also written basic instructions for the next time i build one.

and just to show i havent stopped slashing away wildly with a stanley knife:
Above all its a Rover.

or visit my layout.
or my other models.

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Mon May 12, 2014 1:07 pm

Very impressed with the wagon scratchbuilding.

I've not heard of a computerised cutting machine/tool, for plasticard I assume ?, it sounds something that's quite expensive, can you tell us a little more about this ?
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Mon May 12, 2014 1:17 pm

Would have thought a laser cutter would do it, the one in our dt block mainly does 3mm acrylic, so wouldn't be much of a stretch for plasticard surely?
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Mon May 12, 2014 3:03 pm

A couple of tips worthy of a mention when cutting styrene sheet;

1. I recently found out courtesy of a tip from Jim S.W. , if cutting a narrow length (needing a piece below 8mm wide) of styrene, lightly score the length, but not the whole length, not deeply scoring 1cm at both ends, make repeated scores & when almost through score the ends last. This is to help avoid 'curling up' of the narrow strip you need.

2. Also recently found out / as Zunnan advised me; , using the reverse side of blade as to obtain a better right-angled cut of styrene sheet.
As often, if using the sharp blade edge to cut styrene sheet, no matter how careful you are, the blade will skid & wander off course , and its likely 2 duplicates needed wont be the same as bevevelling of the edges is virtually un-avoidable if using the sharp edge of blade.

But if the reverse edge of blade is used, the bevelling will not happen as the dragging action of reverse side blade will effectively gouge out the styrene equal to the width of reverse side blade with *4 or 5* drag-scores (*= based on 1mm thick syrene sheet), It saves the hassle of removing the bevels caused by normal sharp blade edge, Duplicate widths were within 0.1mm of accuracy when I used this method.
In both cases, flash/burr will have to be removed from cut/scored edges afterwards.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

outcastjack

Postby outcastjack » Mon May 12, 2014 7:42 pm

its a craft cutter, it seems to be designed for card making etc and will cut almost anything soft, card, plastic fabric etc. with plasticard it will work to 0.25mm accuracy with ease.
http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/shop/m ... e+portrait
it is discussed in a lot of detail here.
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... eo-cutter/

I imagine a laser cutter would do an even better job but the price would be rather higher.

As it is, the Portrait is not cheap: £140, but i need around 20 London underground coaches for a new exhibition layout i am building, and that will cost me around £1000 if i buy them as kits or if i make them myself using this should be around £20+ wheels and motor bogies. It also allows me to make 2009 stock which no one makes currently.
I could make it by hand but this is so much quicker and easier and precision is far beyond what I could achieve by hand even with all the time in the world.

Also, it is surprisingly good fun to use =D
thanks for the tips on plasticard use

also the side effect of this is that i will be producing tonnes of designs for making things from plasticard, if I do anything any of you are interested in do drop me a PM for plans & instructions.
Next will be a conger girder wagon set... for no reason other than they look fun!
Above all its a Rover.

or visit my layout.
or my other models.

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue May 13, 2014 6:43 pm

Thanks for the link, very interesting. At the moment I have access to everything you'd need for free, yet I've still not made use of it! It sounds like you'll be making use of yours with all that LU stock, will you be posting about it? I hope so.

outcastjack

Postby outcastjack » Tue May 13, 2014 9:50 pm

cheers, I wish i had got my act together when i was at school and made use of the milling machines and vac former.
I am just about finished with uni (three weeks till my last exam) and then I will start work on the LU stock properly, i can guarantee that by the time I start my job in late summer you will all be sick of tube trains for ever!
Above all its a Rover.

or visit my layout.
or my other models.

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue May 13, 2014 10:01 pm

outcastjack wrote:cheers, I wish i had got my act together when i was at school and made use of the milling machines and vac former.
I am just about finished with uni (three weeks till my last exam) and then I will start work on the LU stock properly, i can guarantee that by the time I start my job in late summer you will all be sick of tube trains for ever!

I never get tired of a good modelling project! I did briefly look at our vacuum former for the possibility of making flush glazing, but it wouldn't have worked for a number of reasons. We've got a CAM milling machine, although rather temperamental, restored my s friend of mine, he drilled lots of holes in it...

outcastjack

Postby outcastjack » Tue May 13, 2014 10:25 pm

Continuing the MoD PFA prototype model saga...
They started life as container flats for carrying open topped 20' intermodal containers of coal, and were later purchased by the MoD who still use them. I am modelling them in this later role although the only real differences appear to be the container mounting points and the colour.
Here are some pictures of the full sized model http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/kellys ... #h18a786cb

I felt using a straight solebar as picturerd above was too much of a compromise so cut some new ones, they were drawn by eye, so not at all accurate but I am happy with the impression they give.

with a few details added:

All the brake detail needs to be planned and added and i need to source some buffers, the axle mounts are pretty simple still and will be reworked, but as a first attempt at a model using the new toy I am dead chuffed. total time is about 3-4 hours of drawing and about 4 hours combined to assemble and paint the thing.
Above all its a Rover.

or visit my layout.
or my other models.

outcastjack

Postby outcastjack » Tue May 13, 2014 10:30 pm

flying scotsman123 wrote:
outcastjack wrote:cheers, I wish i had got my act together when i was at school and made use of the milling machines and vac former.

I never get tired of a good modelling project! I did briefly look at our vacuum former for the possibility of making flush glazing, but it wouldn't have worked for a number of reasons. We've got a CAM milling machine, although rather temperamental, restored my s friend of mine, he drilled lots of holes in it...

the model i really wanted to use it for was one of the curvy GWR flying bananas, I think the sides are sloping enough to make it just about work but i never got round to making the mould.

A good three axis milling machine would be fantastic, even better if it were a CNC one. The dream is to have a workshop with a nice Bridgeport, a decent lathe and shop air supply for airbrushing and airtools, I think other than the compressor it is likely to remain a dream for a very long time though :(
Above all its a Rover.

or visit my layout.
or my other models.

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue May 13, 2014 11:19 pm

outcastjack wrote:
the model i really wanted to use it for was one of the curvy GWR flying bananas, I think the sides are sloping enough to make it just about work but i never got round to making the mould.

A good three axis milling machine would be fantastic, even better if it were a CNC one. The dream is to have a workshop with a nice Bridgeport, a decent lathe and shop air supply for airbrushing and airtools, I think other than the compressor it is likely to remain a dream for a very long time though :(

I think that's what ours is, but only two axes work at the moment, so not especially helpful in that respect. We've got a couple of centre lathes, but I can't think of anything I'd use them for. Now I'm custodian of a garden railway it might be worth looking into laser cutting wood for rolling stock. Hmm...

outcastjack

Postby outcastjack » Wed May 14, 2014 8:19 pm

I am now making a conger girder set, one of these:
http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brcong ... #h17273a84
I don't really need them for any of my layouts or projects, but they look cool so here goes.

this is what the cut file looks like for those who are curious, the red lines are to cut and the blue lines mean score.

I have no idea what will happen with the rivet detail so i am nervously waiting whilst the machine buzzes away
Above all its a Rover.

or visit my layout.
or my other models.

outcastjack

Postby outcastjack » Wed May 14, 2014 10:09 pm

the first axlebox/ spring combo to be mounted, everything here is layers of 10 thou plasticard!
Above all its a Rover.

or visit my layout.
or my other models.

outcastjack

Postby outcastjack » Wed May 14, 2014 11:52 pm

Sorry to bombard you all with these pics but I am massively excited, as before everything you see is plasticard, the axleboxes are each made from 7 pieces, the springs are 2 each... the whole lot took about 90 mins to assemble.
Above all its a Rover.

or visit my layout.
or my other models.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”