Trwyn-y-Diafol O-16.5

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: Trwyn-y-Diafol O-16.5

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:19 am

Hi Dan,

We had missed having you around. Shame about the std '0' collection as that all looked so good in comparison
with smaller 4 & 2 mm stuff. Oh yes I do remember the '00' loft set up !

I'm going to be very rude now ..... It's a shame your photography isn't anywhere near as good as your modelling.
Although what I see here leaves me wanting to follow each step of the development.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:30 pm

Dad-1 wrote:Hi Dan,

We had missed having you around. Shame about the std '0' collection as that all looked so good in comparison
with smaller 4 & 2 mm stuff. Oh yes I do remember the '00' loft set up !

I'm going to be very rude now ..... It's a shame your photography isn't anywhere near as good as your modelling.
Although what I see here leaves me wanting to follow each step of the development.

Geoff T.

What would you say is lacking in the photography? and which thread on here would you say has the best photography?
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:35 am

Hi Dan,

Taken a while to get back ......
I suppose light is one factor & that usually has an effect on the depth of focus field.
It's only good layouts where I want to see as much detail as I can that I really notice.
As to best - I scan through so many that picking one out is difficult - bearing in mind
that it's 2 mm I suppose Frankland is usually quite hot.
I know mine are often 'off' although I tend to take several and only use the best - one
of the advantages of digital - take 100's and throw most away !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:24 am

Dad-1 wrote:Hi Dan,

Taken a while to get back ......
I suppose light is one factor & that usually has an effect on the depth of focus field.
It's only good layouts where I want to see as much detail as I can that I really notice.
As to best - I scan through so many that picking one out is difficult - bearing in mind
that it's 2 mm I suppose Frankland is usually quite hot.
I know mine are often 'off' although I tend to take several and only use the best - one
of the advantages of digital - take 100's and throw most away !!

Geoff T.

Funny you should say about light, as I have only just built the extension there is lighting gantry for that section yet as for the rest it's lit by LED strip, this was recommended and installed by a friend who does event lighting, I said I thought it wasn't bright enough, maybe I'm right, but when i take photos with a camera and tripod they're fine, it;'s the phone one that come out dull, but I'm not going to get out the tripod and camera for every small update.
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

tom92240

Postby tom92240 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:24 pm

Didn't realise this was a photography forum ;) but I wouldn't say the light is the problem.

Bearing in mind the camera used is just a point and shoot, and whilst you can get pretty good images, generally better depth of field comes from something more controllable with a dedicated lens and manual settings. The record shots of progress are fine.

I think in my opinion the shots of trains for "lineside locations" could do with sharpening a little to get the definition but other than that the composition is a lot better than dingy lofts or the continuous birds-eye view shots where people haven't thought to what a railway looks with your own eyes like when you're standing next to one

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”