An early 1950's ex GW rural branchline

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Pete

An early 1950's ex GW rural branchline

Postby Pete » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:15 am

Hi all
Apologies to those who have started to follow my little Bavarian layout, unfortunately I’ve been sidetracked into another project, and although running them in parallel this one is moving faster than the Bavarian one. I hope you find it of interest.

Back in April I was struck by the bug to build something in OO, not a scale I’ve ever worked in before. I wanted to build a small ‘scene’ approximately 1.8m long to fit in a shelf space. For reasons I have blocked from memory, I decided I fancied a semi-traditional GW BLT. Knowing nothing about railways in Britain I searched for a suitable prototype.

I was attracted to the idea of a small rural station, with minimum rolling stock and a very simple track configuration. Here the internet proved its value. I happened upon the Golden Valley Railway in Herefordshire, which ran from Pontrillas (those who have dealt with Ontracks should know Pontrillas) to Hay on Wye (of second hand book fame). With a nice website charting the history and containing lots of photos it was ideal. In particular I was struck by two photos of Dorestone:

And

I liked the idea that though there was a few years between the photos the scene remained almost unchanged. Although originally a passing station, as the line drew towards the end of it’s life the track from Hay was taken up and Dorestone for a short period became the terminus before being closed completely. I also purchased a book on the line (I was amazed that such a book existed!) that was packed with pics, and info.

So this was my prototype. I decided to model the scene a few weeks before final closure. The scene comprises the station, a passing loop, a single siding and a dis-used siding (originally the line was intended for two train use so an additional siding and ramp was built, from research it seems this was never used and fell almost immediately into dis-use.

At this point I had no stock, a small amount of track and it was raining...so I decided to build the station first. Preferring to scratch build and there being no kits available anyway, I scaled some drawings from the photos (and those of similar stations) and constructed the station building and storage shed (I posted this elsewhere on the forum at the time) from foam board and card/paper, the:

AS this layout is only an experiment really into OO I’m not too concerned about a few imperfections as it’s a learning curve, so I appreciate the building is ok, but not perfect (I can see the gaps and flaws, even if others can’t), and at least it’s all my own work which is nice...

I won’t bore with the woodwork, suffice to say it’s a 2x1 ladder frame and 9mm MDF top. I also sandwiched two offcuts of MDF to make an 18mm platform. The track plan was simple, I had to compromise length a bit to fit the space, but not much and the passing loop was designed to accommodate the small train so it looks fine in practice, a few hours of cutting, trimming and stuff it was all down (code 75 track, DC, electrofrog points, manual operation):

The platform was ‘textured’ with polyfiller and edged with card formed ‘engineering brick’. Washes of acrylic were built up to give it some colour:

For rolling stock I only needed a single loco (an 0-4-2), and three or four wagons. The prototype was a 48XX, I’ve gone for a Hornby early crest BR 14XX which I’ll re-number to a 48XX later. The wagons are all ex GW, a Toad, box-van and 7-plank open, I’ll add a 5 plank when I find one, if I’ve got these numbers wrong please excuse my ignorance of GW locos etc.

Because of the limited stock I decided I’d like to have 3-link couplings, though dreading fitting them, they were in fact really easy to fit (albeit requiring some trimming and grinding):

Finally the sun came out and about a week ago I could start ballasting, and I had a willing volunteer to assist too so progress moved on apace, I don’t think we need pics of bare ballast.

Now the fun could begin, greenery and stuff. I’ve started on the middle section first, firstly getting some base greenery down, and then slowly adding detail with static grass:

In parallel I’ve worked on the platform, adding details and my only detail purchase so far two Hornby Scaledale lamp-posts (they were perfect for my needs), and some PECO milk churns which I painted up:

And there we have it, progress to date, I’ll try and post updates as they occur.

I think it looks quite nice so far, and maybe I’ve demonstrated how easy it is to achieve nice effects with very basic materials, and in a short time frame. The long term future for this layout is uncertain, once completed I might dispose of it, as it’s sparked an interest in something more ambitions. But for now I’m having fun though doing the scenery.

If you’re interested, this is all that’s left of the station, it’s a farmer’s field, you can just make out the platform edging (I drove past and took this pic over a hedge):

I hope you enjoy looking at the pics, please feel free to comment or ask any questions.

Pete
Last edited by Pete on Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

Brossard

Re: A little something in OO

Postby Brossard » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:42 pm

That's a very atmospheric small layout and I like it. I also like that you've scratchbuilt buildings which look good. It's rare to see 3 link couplings so good on ya for that. Keep up the good work.

John
John

manna

Postby manna » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:12 am

G'Day Gents

Excellent little layout, you'll have hours of fun with that, congratulations.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

the weston guy

Postby the weston guy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:09 pm

Hi, i am very lucky to be living in North Herefordshire in all its beauty. I am planning to model Further south (Cirencester/Tetbury). If you need to know anything of the Countryside or Pictures feel free to ask :) .

Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:33 pm

Hi

Thanks for the offer, we live not far away too, but on the other side of the border :D

Pete

whynot

Postby whynot » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:40 pm

I like this very much - my sort of size! Looks as if I ought to have a try at static grass - makes a big difference I think.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:24 pm

Hi whynot

static grass is the best!!

Takes a bit of working at to make it look good, but once you get it right it's second to none.

Pete

Pete

Postby Pete » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:53 am

So progress has continued, a bit more detail on the platform, including the lovely Metcalfe GWR laser cut card seats, these are so cute!

And I've even had chance this week to run my train:

Hope to spend some time this weekend getting the remainder of the basic ground cover down, and fitting a Dapol single track level crossing in place to the far left (well the gates that is).

I have a feeling that I might actually finish this over the next two weeks or so...what the hell will I do with it then!

:|

Pete

MrH

Postby MrH » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:34 am

pete wrote:I have a feeling that I might actually finish this over the next two weeks or so...what the hell will I do with it then!

:|

Pete

Finish! That's a bit rash

Its looking great

H
My layouts

Trucks in a Tizzy - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48086

Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:19 pm

No further progress on the layout, but weathered a few wagons up...

There's still a bit of work to do on the chassis of the Mink.

They are done entirely with artists watercolours, just built up in washes until the desired effect achieved. I like a nice shagged wagon :D

Pete

Pete

Re: An early 1950's ex GW rural branchline

Postby Pete » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:57 pm

Well not setting the forum alight with this layout it seems, but there we go...I'll keep trying... :|

Shagged my toad a bit more:

Pete

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:01 pm

Well i think it stunning love what you have done with it - had to go out and get a static grass puffer bottle after this just so i can give it ago in the hopes of replicating your brilliant results!

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:31 pm

Everything on this is built to a professional standard :) Frankly im amazed how some layouts get missed on here.

Mike

Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:49 pm

had to go out and get a static grass puffer bottle after this

Hi Alex

Thanks for your kind words. You can't go wrong with static grass, just have a play on a bit of scrap first, get your 'puffing' just right :wink: Use fresh, neat PVA, paint it on and get the grass on ASAP, don't worry if you can still see PVA, it'll dry clear. The wild flowers are achieved by just touching the tips of the static grass with artists acrylics, straight from the tube (buy a cheap set in the Works) it forms a little blob.

If you work from photos you'll generally get a better effect than trying to imagine the scene, I know I'm always going on about modelling prototypes, but it's soooo easy to get nice results, I also like simple layouts, I wouldn't know what to do with a large complex track plan. It's been great fun dressing the station with posters and the little details. I have to confront the train next, I've never weathered one before, not had the courage, wagons are fine, if I mess one up I've only spent a few pounds a loco is a different matter :D

If you do go down the static grass route feel free to drop me a pm if you have any problems.

Mike

Ahh you flatter me, it's easy stuff, I just take my time and lots of experiments off board, have I shown you my cabbages... :wink:

Pete

Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:04 pm

Ok so work continued this weekend, we saw two kindly donated interlopers make an appearance in the form of a Toad and a Mogo in early BR brown; I like their light weathering against my shagged GW wagons; and a new arrival PO wagon which I weathered in keeping with the older stock. All fitted with three link couplings.

Got the level crossing in place and planted a couple of trees.

The platform is pretty much complete with the addition of a trolley and a set of fire buckets.

Pete

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”