An early 1950's ex GW rural branchline

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
THE CHIEF

Re: An early 1950's ex GW rural branchline

Postby THE CHIEF » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:47 pm

Looking good there pete, this may sound stupid... But does the crossing need a red disk? Ive only really seen the peco types so I dont know if this applies to all gates?

Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:50 pm

But does the crossing need a red disk?

I wondered that, I have them, and they are painted up, I just didn't like the splash of red...I'll have to do some research unless anyone can answer the question.

Edit, found this, but maybe the disk would be best...I'll try it and see.

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:59 pm

Well that looks ideal. Perhaps instead of the disk you could have a simple beware of trains sign? Either way it looks good ;)

DAVE1562

Postby DAVE1562 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:43 pm

Hi Pete...like the look of the toad and wagon weathering..top marks, love the gwr bench..shame they are not available in N gauge :D how about a couple of red lanterns for crossing?

Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:42 pm

Hi Dave

I can't take credit for the BR Brown wagons, they were donated by a kind Mr Chapman, the others are all mine.

Just had a look at some pics online, I think I am definitely in need of some lanterns, I'll have to see see what I can cobble together from bits and spares. (This was a Dapol crossing, I don't think any were included, I'll check the spare sprues).

Funny old stuff this OO, it's soooo big! I'm getting N-withdrawal symptoms... :D

Pete

whynot

Postby whynot » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:38 pm

I like this very much! The "sparse" look is not, I think, as easily achieved as might be imagined - no doubt why so many layouts, large and small, simply cram stuff in.

10/10 - thanks for the photos.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:05 pm

Thanks for your comments. This is my first go in OO, it's been an adventure :D

Pete

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:59 am

That's a good looking layout Pete. Your adventure into British 00 seems to be paying off. Your weathering is particularly well done. I presume you over saturate the paint with water and let it run across the bodywork and then wipe off the excess or do you let it sit and soak in?

Rob

Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:51 pm

Rob

I generally just let it dry in place, I only rub off the excess if I don't like the look of it. The washes dry so 'faint' you can build up layer over layer until you're satisfied.

Pete

ceejaydee

Postby ceejaydee » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:33 pm

What a delightfully tired line modelled as it gently fades away into history.

I've always fancied a little WR/GWR BLT and despite many being almost clichéd in their style they do still have a certain attraction.

Your style of modelling and approach to the subject lifts the whole layout to a higher level where you forget the incorrect track gauge or the simplicity of the whole layout and get wrapped up in witnessing a twilight scene in miniature.

I love the dry-brush effects and the use of oils adding texture to rolling stock and infrastructure alike.

Quite inspiring really :wink:
Regards
Christopher D.

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:07 pm

Good to see the mojo is back Pete. One day I will get around to doing some scenic work and weathering. I know where to turn for instruction.

Andrew
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):

Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:58 am

Thanks for the comments.

Mojo on overdrive at the moment...loads of stuff going on :D

I've pretty much wrapped this layout up now, so here's some pics to show the result:

And finally resolved the level crossing from:

to

I replaced the thick plastic disks from the kit with ones cut from thin aluminium (drinks can).

I've a few touchups to sort, and I'm waiting to get a couple of people, but otherwise I think I've finished, it's in my play room at the moment until I decide it's long term future, it was only ever meant as an experiment to see what I could do in OO rather than my usual N stuff. It's been good fun, and I've probably spent more time on it than I ever intended, but I'm pleased with the result, but OO is soooooo big!! Anyway I have a number of other things on the go at the moment to fill those empty minutes... :wink:

Regards

Pete

whynot

Postby whynot » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:05 am

Love it! I'm torn between it inspiring me to try harder or plunging me into gloom at my lack of talent and ability.

An excellent model all round.

Thanks for the photos.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:24 pm

Love it! I'm torn between it inspiring me to try harder or plunging me into gloom at my lack of talent and ability.

Hi

Don't knock your talent, this stuff is easy, and I sincerely mean that, it's just about thinking, experimenting and time, I could show you how to do any of this in minutes, though far better if you work it out through experimentation and develop your own style.

If you see anything in the layout you'd like an explanation of how I did just ask, there's no secrets :D

Pete

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:24 pm

A lovely little layout, love the GWR toad van, it looks exactly as a real one did as it came into C&W at winchcombe where i help out waiting to be restored, the rust o the white bars are perfect (having studied it in detail having to sand it all off on a real one!)
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”