Galgorm Hall 00 Gauge Loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
skyblue

Re: Galgorm Hall 00 Gauge Loft Layout

Postby skyblue » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:53 pm

The shop looks great and I also really like the ballasting and the grass at the end of the platform.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:46 pm

Thanks Skyblue. Really appreciate the positive comments. :D

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:43 pm

September is drawing to a close so here's a small update for you. Work has been continuing at the usual pace. This month I have done a bit more on platform edgings and a little track ballasting and weathering. My main area of work is concentrating on the town section with more model making of buildings. I really only get an hour or so each evening to work on this so progress, as you can imagine, is slow.

My recent work has been a Faller kit. From a model making point of view they are exceptional. All pieces connect together really well with little or no work needed on removing flashing etc (Dapol take note). The printed sheet that folds into a box and slips inside the building is a great way of getting internal detailing with little effort. I didn't like the blue finish that the box artwork shows so I have gone for a pale green and beige combo. The only work to be done on this model is to add shop signage as the German ones supplied won't quite work!

The photos below show a few of my completed kits as they will be seen climbing the high street. At this stage they are roughly set in place until I make flat foundations for them.

image.jpg
Galgorm Hall high street beginning to take shape.
image.jpg (97.36 KiB) Viewed 2559 times

The little brick finished shop with EP Golds signage started off life as this:

image.jpg
image.jpg (16.95 KiB) Viewed 2559 times

This shop still needs interiors sorted and the nature of the business signage done (not sure what this will be yet).

In addition to this work the footbridge spanning the four tracks is complete and I am also painting and adding people as when they are complete.

image.jpg
image.jpg (106.97 KiB) Viewed 2559 times

image.jpg
What on earth is in this trunk?
image.jpg (103.58 KiB) Viewed 2559 times

On a side note, whilst looking at any of my photos posted on this thread I am always disappointed by the lack of detail and slightly blurred or hazy look they give off. Can anyone suggest how to improve this? Alas I only have my i-pad as a camera and always have to reduce image quality to enable me to post. Is it worth using the likes of photo bucket? I'd prefer the images accompanied the dialogue rather than a link to an outside site but if such sites allowed for better detailing of my images I think it may be worth the compromise. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Paul

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:36 pm

Another month rolls past so time for another update. October saw a change of focus at Galgorm Hall. Fed up with the painting, weathering and placing of the platforms and equally fed up with ballasting I turned my attentions to bridge building.

In the mould of the TV artist Bob Ross who's immortal words 'let's put a tree right about there' then whisked brush strokes across his canvas to produce said tree, I thought I'd do the equivalent in the modelling world with a bridge. It's still in its infancy but the road bridge will span the east end of the railway station crossing all mainlines and the junction throats.

image.jpg
Location of road bridge
image.jpg (234.71 KiB) Viewed 2462 times

With a few off cuts of wood I rustled up the basic shape.

image.jpg
image.jpg (124.16 KiB) Viewed 2462 times

2mm mount board was shaped to create the arches and will be clad in Plastikard Fleming Bond which arrived in the post this morning. Between the two arches Peco girder sides will be added. I'm undecided on the inside end. I'm torn between a solid wall with arch mould or and open arch with some sort of storage lock ups. I think I prefer the latter.

image.jpg
image.jpg (111.51 KiB) Viewed 2462 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (99.36 KiB) Viewed 2462 times

I will update further on this as it progresses.

Further to this construction the National Provincial Bank has been built for the town. This is from the Hornby Town And Country range. A very simple kit to construct I decided not to add the dormer windows as I thought they were a bit clunky. The main work of this building to bring it to life was done in the painting. Signage to be added when I get replacement ink for the printer.

image.jpg
image.jpg (105.78 KiB) Viewed 2462 times

Thanks for looking.

Paul

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:16 pm

Great work as usual!

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:17 pm

Thanks Skyblue.

whynot

Postby whynot » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:23 am

Guess have to be railway-related rather than commercial lock ups being on railway-land, but lots of interesting examples from a Google Images search on "underneath the arches railway" if you've not already tried it.

Some top workmanship on display - thanks.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:29 am

Thanks whynot. Had a little google search there with your suggested title and found an image very similar to what I'm modelling.

image.jpg
image.jpg (110.56 KiB) Viewed 2429 times

This will give me some help for colouring the brick as well as what could be modelled underneath the arches. :D

Paul

whynot

Postby whynot » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:04 pm

I noticed that one - so many variations on a simple theme ("occupy that archway!").
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:41 pm

Normal practice is for me to do an end of month update but having got an afternoon to myself in the house it gave me opportunity to pop up to the loft. With me I brought my ongoing bridge project to see how it would look in situ and have shared a couple of pictures with you.

image.jpg
image.jpg (99.36 KiB) Viewed 2270 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (123.08 KiB) Viewed 2270 times

I doubt it will get anyone too excited but thanks for looking. :lol:

Paul

whynot

Postby whynot » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:54 pm

Bridges and railways - what's not to get excited about? Nice work.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

AustralisRico

Postby AustralisRico » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:50 pm

Nice work sofar on the bridge, is that a brick pattern you've printed and glued on, a sheet of brick effect or a pre made brick facing?

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:33 am

I do like all these scratch built structures as well as kits.
Some very nice work there all well worth the wait !!

Sometimes it's worth trying a couple of B&W pictures.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

KevSR

Postby KevSR » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:10 pm

Really nice weathering on the bridge sides.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:12 pm

Thanks chaps for all your kind comments.

Geoff, I'll have a go at the B&W photos next time I'm up. Not sure the lighting in the loft will lend itself well to it though.

Australisrico, the brickwork is Slaters plasticard embossed Fleming Bond. It is incredibly thin but versatile and very easy to cut and shape. Painting has been a combination of Revel and Humbrol enamels and various shades of acrylic for the weathering.

Dad-1, I really enjoy building the kits and transforming them into something realistic with the painting. The bridge is my first foray into scratch building and I must say I have enjoyed the process so far. It's a fairly simple structure to develop so hopefully these skills will evolve into more complicated buildings.

Thanks again for looking.

Paul

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”