Galgorm Hall 00 Gauge Loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
TimberSurf

Re: Galgorm Hall 00 Gauge Loft Layout

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:56 am

Painting the rails is totally worth the hard slog of doing it! Looking very professional :)
Can I ask why cardboard construction rather than styrene foam?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:55 am

I also agree that the rails are looking so much better, well worth the hours
of toil.

'Rails needing painting on five sides?' No wonder it takes a long time Paul :lol:

I really like the overall look of it, sweeping curves and double level, very nice.

Jim.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:24 am

carnehan wrote:
On rail painting, below is a better shot of the crimson brown being used. In comparison to the shiny new rails behind I think this is a vast improvement.

B2CA5774-41AE-4D0B-B659-A1AF078CB383.jpeg

Paul

Quite agree with you Paul (but is it crimson brown or cinnamon brown?).

This has become a very interesting study of rail colours, so much so that I have been taking a look at my railway photos back in the 1980's/90's.
It's remarkable that my Sheffield photos very much reflect railwayjim's tone and yours reflect my Dundalk photos - a slightly rustier look - must be all the rain we get!

Timbersurf's colour comes in between you both and is representative of many places - all look well in their own right.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:31 pm

Ex-Pat wrote:
Timbersurf's colour comes in between you both and is representative of many places - all look well in their own right.

To be honest, the pic I showed was of my carriage sidings, which I chose a very orange colour as if newish track, as opposed to the mainline, where I used a more crimsony shade. The point being, different ages (of laid) and uses, would give different shades of rust and different tones of dirtiness combinations!
i.e. use different colours between sidings, TMD, mainline, platforms and branches!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:57 pm

Nice pictures! The rails looks so much better - you could also blend in the colors with a very slight dusting with an airbrush (sleeper grime etc) The only problem I have had is removing the paint when cleaning the track! I agree with the others that the there are so many hues and differences between sidings, yards, branch and mainlines particularly with steam and diesel eras.
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:04 pm

Timbersurf, a hard slog is what it is but having watched a few trains roll by on the painted sections I know it’s going to be worth it. Why card? One reason is it was free and available to me in large quantities, secondly, I started with polystyrene sheets and knew all too well the mess it would make. Not only did it make a mess but I couldn’t picture the contours as I tried to sculpt it. Finally, as per number two, using the card was perhaps more labour intensive but it let me build up the contours gradually. If I didn’t like something, ripping out one sheet wasn’t a big deal. If I used foam and didn’t like the finish then that was a whole sheet lost.

Jim, thank you as usual for the positive comments.

Ex-pat, you’re absolutely right, it’s Cinnamon Brown. If my posts lend you to search out more on the topic then perhaps they provide more of s service than just a ‘how to’ example. :lol:

Eastern, thank you, I was going to experiment with weathering powders on my tester piece to see how that faired. I don’t own an airbrush so any weathering will have to come from dry brushing or powders

A final picture from an old project. This was all produced using the same method I’m using with the layout.

E7E7BCE8-0677-488F-9295-B138A09C8CD1.jpeg

Paul

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:18 pm

Nice diorama Paul, displaying my favourite loco class, Jubilees .... 'Victoria' if I'm not mistaken.

Jim.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:33 pm

It is indeed Victoria and she’s being a contrary old girl. For some reason or another she does not enjoy my points and Is also not that keen on pulling long trains. I’m just not that way minded to know how to fix her. Some time I’m going to have to leave her with someone to sort it out for me, either that or sell it!

Paul

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:35 pm

Agreed, that diorama is VERY nice :D - I think you got the colour of the canal water just right too.
I always use card for contours for much the same reasons as you. I also use paper mache rather than plaster bandages as, again, it just needs (in my case) some kitchen towels and watered down PVA from a big tub! Easily available, cheap and not too messy! Good luck with the next stage of your layout - I'm following it all with interest.

Coopslner

Postby Coopslner » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:40 pm

I really like the tones and the texture effect of the grass you have created. I would love to be able to master this, which in your case I believe you have.

I will eventually have a couple of small grass areas on my layout and have been looking at grass mats rather than buying a static grass applicator but don't know what would be better ..alas I fear that stage is a few years off for me :|

Coops
Derby Friargate GN

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:37 am

Very well done carneham for showing your test piece. You sure you have used electrostatic grass? It is hard to tell! Most layouts I have seen in model railway magazines look rather odd with this static grass. Dont ask me why as it would be very difficult to answer, as I dont know! Somehow the foam scatter materials look more natural.
I have to say though, the PIC you have shown us looks great. Keep it up!
See below ↓

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:15 am

PNP, I’d thought of using paper mache as a cheaper alternative to the plaster bandage and may still go down this route, nothing set in stone yet.

Hey Coops, long time no sign of you. :D This was my first dabble in static grass and it turned out not too bad. The embankments were treated to 4mm and 6mm grass tossed together to give a random tone. The field, I think, was 2mm and all grass came from WW Scenics.

As to the applicator, I couldn’t bring myself to buy one of the expensive ones so went down the route of butchered fly swatter and fine sieve. The results speak for themselves.

Mountain, thank you for the comments. I can concur, it was static grass although the resolution required to post pictures on here does mean you lose some of the detail. This is the best close up I have.

9DCD0A6F-1CB0-4F99-A116-99102C583FD3.jpeg

Paul

Coopslner

Postby Coopslner » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:46 pm

Great stuff Paul, I've been busy in the background, building white metal vehicles and some wagons along with a bit of scratch building. I had a bit of a set back, having used flux while soldering I failed to remove any residue resulting in the seep point motors corroding .. Basicly destroyed all the wiring work and need to replace those motors (all) and try again.

Making mistakes is bloody expensive ha. I will up date when I have made some progress on the layout as no one wants to see a load of vehicles.

I look forward to more of your updates with your scenery

Coops
Derby Friargate GN

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:16 am

Coopslner wrote:as no one wants to see a load of vehicles
Coops

Oh yes we do :wink:

Jim.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:14 am

That little diorama looks terrific Paul, I agree with your comment that the home made static grass applicators are every bit a good as the expensive ones, I need more practice but I am happy with what I have done already. I like the bridge and canal, looks very well done.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”