Galgorm Hall 00 Gauge Loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Rono

Re: Galgorm Hall 00 Gauge Loft Layout

Postby Rono » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:03 pm

carnehan wrote:...in a word no but you did get me wondering so I went and had a little read up on it. Apparently, trusses and joists have particular loads they can withstand but a screw or nail should have little impact on that and can be treated much like having a knot in the wood - an element that is factored in to those load tolerances. A big no no is to chop a chunk of the truss out or bore a large hole through one as this will greatly affect the load. Another option to disperse the weight being placed on the truss is to spread that weight between two trusses rather than relying on the one.

There you go, I learnt something new today. :D My roof shouldn't fall in round me! :lol:

Paul

It has also been bothering me, Im due to be laying a baseboard structure in the next 12 months or so, I’ve been playing around with all these elaborate plans of avoiding the webs, which is just serving to introduce a stupid amount of weight, I’ve not seen many stories in the newspaper recently however, reporting how roofs have collapsed due to model railways :)

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:43 pm

The branch line side of the layout had its final pieces of track installed and testing has continued on all areas of the layout. I’m more than happy with performance on the branch side so have opted to start on scenics here with the station now being known as Abbots Hollow.

F516E94C-B1FA-4550-8A7D-7ECB51717536.jpeg

I think I will use the station from GH1 and am probably looking at kits for the most part to make up the remainder of the builds on this side with maybe the exception of the signal box.

Anyway, the thinking is the station will have a small goods shed straddling the far siding with coal staithes alongside and at the end the station masters house. I’ve bought the Wills Craftsman Victorian Houses set for this so the signalman can live on site too. lol Everything round the station will either be hilly or carved in to for the railway and that’s what most of my time has been spent on doing.

A43A6E19-3064-47D4-91FE-4F69BDFE979D.jpeg

94EE18A6-4080-476A-9C9A-717663F976EF.jpeg

A retaining wall will allow for additional space in the station area. Behind the mainline flowing hills and just beyond the bridge the beginnings of steep embankments for the branchline to carve its way through. I’m trying to do as much of the framework of this first before plastering over just in case I want to modify other sections. I’ll also need to build the three bridges before most of the plasterwork can go on too and have ordered plasticard for that job.

Another minor job underway is painting the railsides. What tedium that is. A 6 foot length of track takes me about 35 minutes to complete and that’s just one side of rail Needless to say I do a bit, leave it and come back another evening. Ballasting could never be this annoying.

Having spent what seemed like ages working on laying the track I’m in love with trains again and at home in my scenery. :D

Paul

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:04 pm

Looking very good - I like the boxing in for future contours around the tracks - it looks like it is gonna look very much like the railway is built through the hills rather than the hills built around the railway 8).
carnehan wrote:Another minor job underway is painting the railsides. What tedium that is. A 6 foot length of track takes me about 35 minutes to complete and that’s just one side of rail Needless to say I do a bit, leave it and come back another evening. Ballasting could never be this annoying.

I found that too - even my tiny Table Football layout took AGES to paint the rail sides - though it was definitely worth it! Next time I may research using a pen of some kind that I think someone mentioned - it sounds much quicker! Good luck with the ongoing build . . .

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:48 pm

It's all worth it in the end Paul.

PNP replied whilst I was taking a photo of what I used:

P1070820.JPG

It's just like a marker pen - although the tips can wear out quite quickly - I actually emailed Woodland Scenics on this point and they sent me some new tips all the way from the USA (I can therefore appreciate the Enterprise Car Rental advert claiming "with American Customer Service".)

You may have to still use a brush to touch up small missed spots, but I would say it doesn't take 35 minutes to do 6ft.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:22 pm

Hi Carnehan - looking good! One other option for painting track is to strip the rail out of the sleepers before laying, masking off the top of the rail and spray painting the full length in one go then returning it to the sleepers, only negative aspect of this is that you have to scrape off the paint where you cut it to make a rail join, not sure which is the fastest in the long run.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:33 pm

PNP, that is the result I’m trying to achieve. In the back of my mind is the natural landscape and the man made blending in to this were the railway ran through. If you are picking that up just from the formers then hopefully I’m getting it right.

Ex-pat, I had looked at track pens but I’d read so many negative reports on them that I didn’t bother and the price tag made me baulk too.

LMB, when I first started gathering track for the layout I said I would paint all the rails before installation began, I managed one point! Impatience got the better of me and perhaps I’ll pay for that now.

I don’t intend doing the entire layout at once but I need to get these first sections completed before continuing too far with the scenery. After that, ten minutes here and there won’t maybe grate as much.

Paul

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:58 pm

Looking good so far Paul, especially like the station track layout, should be interesting running.

My tip to speed up and ease boredom painting railsides is to spray the track with Railmatch Track Grime.
Making sure to mask point blades where they make contact and also wipe the rail tops before dry. This also
has the added benefit of giving the sleepers a matt grimy finish instead of the brown plastic finish. Once ballasted
the rail sides can have a small touch in here and there, especially where track is not in regular use.

Don't want to hog your thread Paul, but the following pictures show a before and after, may be of help.

before ballasting - Track grime sprayed.JPG
before ballasting - Track grime sprayed.JPG (150.53 KiB) Viewed 538 times

after ballasting.JPG

Keep your pictures of the progress coming Paul, we're on the edge of our seats :wink:

Jim.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:17 pm

I don't know if all would like it, or have the equipment or skill, but I wanted rusty track, with shiny top and some rust bleed onto the sleepers. After much research, I concluded the fastest way (given that I am looking at 100 meters to do) would be to spray, rather than use paint brush, pen or wheel.
My first attempt was a bit heavy handed, but soon got into the method afterwards. The track can be laid and ballasted, then before addition of obstacles (buildings, platforms, fences, etc,) use an air brush with a small nozzle at low pressure and very light strokes at a very low angle. The paint hits the side of the rails and only a little goes on the sleepers/ballast (counts as rust washed down), a light rub with wetted clothes removes most paint from the top and 1600 grit the remainder. A light 'wash' with grey acrylic tones down any hard red areas on the sleepers/ballast.
Attachments
Spray rust track.jpg
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:58 am

Jim, hog away, any chance of photos of your layout are always welcome. The sleeper grime tone of paint looks good but observing railway lines in my area they tend to be more orangey brown in tone, perhaps due to the lesser use these lines get than those on the mainland.

Timbersurfs examples of rail colour are more along the lines of what I’m trying to achieve. I’ll post a picture later of a tester I did of different rail colours and the one I settled on.

Paul

heda

Postby heda » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:19 pm

I too like the look of the hills, I think you have got it right there.
Regarding painting the rails I found it very tedious, especially as I'm an N gauger, I did a bit each day, took ages but worth it, I wasn't to worried about getting paint on the sleepers as I went over them afterwards anyway with sleeper grime and it all added to the rust stains and weathering.
I did find that although the rail painting and ballasting was a chore once that was done it becomes much more fun, landscaping and buildings.

Dave

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:24 pm

Thanks Dave. Not alll modelling can be enjoyable I guess, some is just a necessary evil. As you say, once past that stage things get more fun.

Paul

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:05 pm

As said earlier, here are two pictures of a test piece of track I did to ascertain colour choices for rail sides.

FD73F844-1EF7-499A-8E8F-65A7D58CC656.jpeg

387D6481-F38B-4C06-A4C8-C98F10CC5A0E.jpeg

The top picture, as you can maybe read, has the upper rail painted in Revell Rust and the lower in Revell Leather Brown. The bottom picture has the top rail painted in acrylic Transparent Red Oxide and the lower in Cinnamon Brown. These pictures maybe don’t do the colours justice as one would appear very similar to the other. It was a difficult choice to make but I’ve opted for the cinnamon brown option.

Just throwing it out there. :D

Paul

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:53 pm

That would have been my choice as well Paul.

Looks like you're going to be busy for a while :wink:

Jim.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:53 pm

Just a bit Jim.

Paul

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:43 am

The card formers are now in place in this area of the layout and almost ready for plaster bandage to be applied. Before I can do that I need to finish off one or two other jobs. The rails need painting on five sides of the track, two bridges constructed, a wood trim facia applied to the edge of the board and I need to lay ballast beneath the tunnel section.

13576665-44CA-4282-B3A5-5FBEB705F0E5.jpeg

D3EF940D-8C13-4E40-A34E-7488CCD59F8D.jpeg

There is a card insert above the tunnel section that hasn’t been glued in place yet to allow access to underneath for ballasting and bridge building. To add some scenic interest in the corner a road will climb over the hill with a cottage or something similar placed on that square piece of card near the top.

On rail painting, below is a better shot of the crimson brown being used. In comparison to the shiny new rails behind I think this is a vast improvement.

B2CA5774-41AE-4D0B-B659-A1AF078CB383.jpeg

On with the bridge building then.

Paul

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”