Galgorm Hall 00 Gauge Loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
carnehan

Re: Galgorm Hall 00 Gauge Loft Layout

Postby carnehan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:10 pm

As a little side project I have turned to repainting another car and thought I'd show the process involved.

I picked this little Ford Corsair Lesney Matchbox No.45 up on ebay last week for a princely sum of £2.

image.jpg
image.jpg (76.13 KiB) Viewed 2966 times

First up was removing all the component parts. This is easily done with a small metal drill bit on a drill. Bore down into the two lugs fastening the chassis to the body of the car. Be careful not to over drill or you will be in and through the body of the car before you know it. Once separated you can take the pieces apart. The window needed to be prised out carefully as it had its own little lug in the roof. Being heavy handed would lead to cracking the windscreen.

You are left with four parts - the chassis with wheels, body, windscreen and seating.

image.jpg
image.jpg (87.19 KiB) Viewed 2966 times

Next up I took the body and put it in a container of acetone based nail varnish remover - the one my wife uses is a £1 jobbie from Poundland. Leave for at least 48 hours to soak in. Once removed from the container most of the paint should rub off with a piece of tissue. More stubborn marks can be removed with very fine sandpaper or the tip of a needle.

That leaves you with this:

image.jpg
image.jpg (75.62 KiB) Viewed 2966 times

Time for respraying. A coat of white Halfords primer was used first and then a couple of layers of Hycote Dove Grey. I bought a few of these tins in various colours in Poundland some time back and are great value for these little jobs. Whilst doing the various coats I tackled the seats with Revell SM381 brown and Revell black and silver for the dash and steering wheel. I also removed the ugly looking tow bar with a craft knife. Back to the body, the grill, headlights and taillights were all painted in the appropriate colours. Finally, two coats of lacquer were applied and once dried a light polish with some car wax.

Before re-assembly add any figures you wish to the seats. Pop everything back in place and glue the chassis to the main body with a drop of superglue. Further detailing of bumpers, handles and wheel hubs could be done but I've decided to let that slide on this one.

So here it is:

image.jpg
image.jpg (86.6 KiB) Viewed 2966 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (87.85 KiB) Viewed 2966 times

The finished product is nowhere near as detailed or expertly finished as an Oxford Diecast or similar product but for a few quid it is certainly much more enjoyable to bring a tired little model back to some sort of respectability and gives you a nice individual piece for your layout.

Thanks for looking.

Paul

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:13 pm

A very neat restoration - I do have one comment though - what about putting some glazing in the windows?

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:19 pm

Thanks skyblue.

The model suggests the windows are down on both sides. My story is the owner has had a big wet dog out for a walk and now needs to defumegate before the missus gets a sniff!! :lol:

outcastjack

Postby outcastjack » Thu May 01, 2014 10:43 pm

that is a neat restoration, thanks for the nail polish remover tip too!
Above all its a Rover.

http://www.pendonmuseum.com
or visit my layout.
or my other models.

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Fri May 02, 2014 11:48 am

for anything metal, then nail polish remover, or Detol work wonders. I tend to use detol as the smell is mildly less offensive :-)
Detol can also be used on plastic, acetone is a no no though.
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Fri May 02, 2014 7:08 pm

Thanks outcastjack.

Hiffano, I didn't know that about Detol. Useful tip. That's my new thing learnt today. :)

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Mon May 05, 2014 8:01 pm

I had to take the plunge sooner or later so this weekend I tackled ballasting my first point. Having read round the subject my prime concern was seizing the points once the glue dried so I made a point of tackling the job early in the day in order that I could keep an eye on drying progress.

I followed my usual procedure of laying the dry ballast down first - taking extra care around the points mechanisms to ensure free movement at all times - and followed this up with the watered down PVA and syringe. At the points mechanism I avoided any glue being dropped there and instead let the natural seep of the glue absorb these areas. Upon inspection throughout the day I discovered a certain amount of glue did draw up to the movements but with a periodic slide back and forth all was well. Two days on and the point is operating perfectly and I can sit back with a certain glum look of a positve result. :lol:

The result of my weekends endeavour:

image.jpg
image.jpg (202.36 KiB) Viewed 2841 times

In other news, I picked up a Hornby waiting shelter in a very ugly maroon plastic colour. I have repainted this in the Galgorm Hall colours of green and beige and weathered it. This will now be positioned on the westbound platform. I won't glue in place yet as I want to add a couple of waiting passengers to the benches and posters to the outer board and on the back wall of the shelter.

image.jpg
image.jpg (134.01 KiB) Viewed 2841 times

A further loco has also arrived to serve Galgorm Hall. A Bachmann Class 20 (20164) will provide additional passenger as well as freight services through the station. I am on the lookout for a second one of these as I'd like to double head it in a more prototypical fashion.

image.jpg
Class 20 20164 rounds the bend on its way into Galgorm Hall
image.jpg (196.52 KiB) Viewed 2841 times

Finally, the only other bits of work to be carried out is the placing of posts on the grass bank (the top picture shows them in place - these still need wire fed through them once I source a supply), a spot more overgrowth along one side of the westbound platform and I have started to frame the edges of the board with a matt black finished piece of board.

image.jpg
image.jpg (143.8 KiB) Viewed 2841 times

I got a little extra illumination behind me today when taking these photos so hopefully they enhance the detail a little better than my previous efforts.

Thanks for looking.

Paul

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Thu May 08, 2014 8:46 pm

The waiting shelter looks fantastic - a massive improvement on Hornby's attempt at a colour scheme.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:14 pm

The actual shape and design of the shelter I quite like, no idea if it's based an anything particularly, but I think it's definitely worth giving a link of paint, you've done a wonderful job of yours.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sat May 10, 2014 7:55 pm

Thanks skyblue and flyingscotsman123 for your kind words. I enjoyed the process of transforming it.

No work carried out so far this weekend on the layout. The Giro D'Italia arrived in Ballymena today so spent the morning at that. Great spectacle and fantastic crowds despite the miserable weather.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:38 am

Oh it's been too long since a posting on Galgorm Hall. Work continues albeit at a very slow pace over these summer months. Work is taking up most of my time at the moment, come the evenings I'm tired and just want to vegetate and the weekends are spent on outdoor excursions.

I have had limited time in the loft and besides was getting bored with the monotony of building station platforms so have turned to some building work for the small town scene. The options for buildings are wide and varied from plastic kits to scratch build to card kits. There are also the pre-formed Skaledale and Bachmann ranges but were is the fun in just plonking a product down in to your layout? I have no experience of scratch building so for now I want to steer clear of that. I have always struggled with card kits too due to the lack of texture to the material so for now I am settling for plastic. These have there faults too, I know, but it is a format that I am comfortable working with and to my eye have a pleasing end result.

What kit then? There really aren't that many OO kits available other than Dapol and some older Hornby Town and Country kits. I have been scouring the internet and picking up the odd kit in OO and HO scale. Of course there is the scale difference to contend with but in looking at the real world, buildings come in all shapes and sizes so I think with a bit of careful planning I can get away with this.

My first subject for your perusal has been worked on over the last 4 to 5 weeks, on and off. It is an American DPM kit that I intend to have as a bank or Post office. The kit was very simple with just the four sides to put together and a flat roof. I made a couple of minor modifications to try and make it appear a little more British in style. The windows upper half all had a bar dividing them in to two smaller windows. I cut these out to make them appear more like sash windows. The one more noticeable modification was changing the flat roof to a sloped one. Wills plastic slate sheets helped me out here. All that's left to be done is signage for the front and some drainpipes. The pipes will wait until final positioning is decided in case a neighbouring building is to sit flush with this one.

image.jpg
Downpipes will hide the unsightly join of the two wall sheets
image.jpg (204.68 KiB) Viewed 2612 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (190.7 KiB) Viewed 2612 times

At some point I'll have to tackle interior furnishings.

That's it for now folks - back to the sunshine.

Paul

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:43 pm

Hello all. My word, has it really been over a month since my last posting? Dear me! I must rectify that. So what's been happening on Galgorm Hall I hear you cry?

For the first time in weeks I ventured into the loft to have a modelling session. The fantastic weather had made this all but impossible before now due to the intense heat. The drawbacks of a loft based layout. Having not been up for some time I had grown a little jaded with the prospects of continuing but this was soon wiped away being able to spend time up there emmersed in it again.

I had intended on developing the town area ready for the buildings I have been sourcing but having re acquainted myself with the layout I really can't start this until I finish the platform areas. I need to do these and build the Station in order to see where it will end and the town can begin. So it's back to Peco platform edge painting and card scribing :roll: It's a job I would put behind ballasting for a real chore to complete.

So, for an hour during the week and a few hours this weekend I began another long job of weathering the track. The effect, I think is quite satisfactory and comparing the before and after really enhances the look. I've attached a few pics below.

image.jpg
image.jpg (203.66 KiB) Viewed 2407 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (234.71 KiB) Viewed 2407 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (232.05 KiB) Viewed 2407 times

Thanks for looking and hopefully a further update sooner rather an later. :lol:

Paul

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:48 pm

Continuing inspirational work well done, love the car refurb....you've done a great job on that...

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:16 pm

Thanks, Spavo, for your kind comments.

I have a small update below on progress at Galgorm Hall. Remember that grass area I laid back in April? Over this weekend I have been trying to complete the detailing. With various shrubbery now laid I think I've cracked it. The hedge line along the fence has taken 3 hours to do (only half finished in photo) with a pair of tweezers and a lot of patience!

image.jpg
image.jpg (238.32 KiB) Viewed 2266 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (239.45 KiB) Viewed 2266 times

The fencing is matchsticks with 0.5mm holes drilled in three places and 0.3mm jewellery making wire fed through it.

I also played a little bit with trains. It's been some time since anything ran. While they were I thought I'd try a couple of videos to see how things looked. They are only 20 to 30 seconds long. I wasn't sure how to post them on here so please excuse the links to YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lOPkGfWBhPg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oXtXdzvgetE

This is my first dabble in capturing video so apologies for the poor quality. I just like the fact that the layout comes to life more with trains running. :)

Thanks for looking.

Paul

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:50 am

While others batter on at an electrifying pace, unfortunately, Galgorm Hall continues at glacial speed. The month of August has seen some weathering of track, a few more platform walls painted and installed and a little bit of scenic shrubbery. Some of this I have posted photos of previously and the rest is just too boring to show. :?

I'm continuing the process of assembling buildings for the town and have begun work on the raised section for them to rest on. Photos will come when there is something substantial to show.

The only thing of any photographic value is the assembly of a Dapol general store. Looking at it in the pics I think I will need to find some accessories to adorn the window displays. It is very sparse without.

image.jpg
image.jpg (76.98 KiB) Viewed 2148 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (75.1 KiB) Viewed 2148 times

Next up is a Faller shop unit and then I must get on with the railway station.

Thanks for looking.

Paul

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”