Galgorm Hall 00 Gauge Loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:33 am

Thanks Jon

I haven't really any tips that I can give when it comes to wiring. All I can say is that I didn't have a clue but with lots of reading I was able to get my head round it. The Brian Lambert website was invaluable. He gives great detail on all areas of the 'layout' with helpful diagrams and do's and don'ts.

As I said previously I wasn't to hot at the soldering so I also found the Scothlok connectors excellent and very easy to work with. It reduced the soldering to only the track sections and with a little patience and methodical work practice I was able to put it all together quite easily.

Just take your time, do a small section and test and this will give you the confidence needed to get the rest done when it works. :)

All the best.

Paul

carnehan

Re: Millburn Station 00 Gauge Loft Layout

Postby carnehan » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:30 pm

About time to add another update to my layout. Progress has been very slow. A newborn in the house gives little time for anything else!

I have had made a start at track ballasting, however, and begun the installation of the Peco edging for the platforms. These have been painted and will be weathered in due course. The track will also have a little greenery in the form of weeds added.

image.jpg
image.jpg (164.49 KiB) Viewed 2964 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (140.44 KiB) Viewed 2964 times

While not in the loft I have also been able to get another road vehicle prepped for the layout. This one is another Corgi Husky model resprayed from its original blue.

image.jpg
image.jpg (133.78 KiB) Viewed 2964 times

Thanks for looking.

Paul

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:00 pm

The ballast in the bay looks very good - can't really see the through lines that well - but if you want nice neat lines of ballast for each track then you might consider laying down masking tape either side of the tracks - it also helps stop the ballast from overflowing into areas where you don't really want it.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:26 pm

Thanks for the tip Ex-Pat. The through lines are a work in progress. Platform edgings need doing on the side lines and then I will concentrate on neatening up the throughs when ballasting everything else.

carnehan

Re: Millburn Station Name Change To Galgorm Hall

Postby carnehan » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:45 pm

Small update for you folks.

First up I have decided to change the name of the layout from Millburn to Galgorm Hall (the estate in which I live).

Progress on the track continues at a somewhat slow space. A little more ballasting has been done and another section of platform edging has been installed. These are still in the process of drying from glue but a pic is attached.

image.jpg
image.jpg (178.99 KiB) Viewed 2878 times

Thought I'd also add a couple of pictures of the new locos that have arrived to serve Galgorm Hall.

First up was a Christmas pressure in the form of the Bachmann 105 DMU.

image.jpg
image.jpg (134.14 KiB) Viewed 2878 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (132.61 KiB) Viewed 2878 times

And secondly Dapols Class 22

image.jpg
image.jpg (123.13 KiB) Viewed 2878 times

That's all for now folks.

Thanks for looking.

Paul

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:02 am

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the update and the photo's, this is my first post on your thread and I have to say I'm very impressed mate.

I've taken a good hour or so reading from start to finish and you have made great progress, well done....there's nothing to add from me except I am enjoying thoroughly your build, so crack on and as the old saying goes which I know it banned in some quarters....I'll be watching with interest!! :D

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:27 pm

Hey Gav

Thanks for your very kind words. It's a marathon and not a race for me so I hope you have patience to follow it further.

So, today I had a day off and with SWMBO having her mum in for the morning it gave me the prime opportunity to tackle a little more on the layout.

Today's targets were as follows:

1. Paint the top edging of the platforms white and follow up with a little weathering.
2. Remove some of the ballasting laid. I made the mistake of not taking note of the code on the bag before emptying into a jar. I bought another bag and now have a colour that is just too bright for my liking so this section will have to be removed and relaid.
3. Add a little greenery to the edges now ballasted to give the impression of neglect and tiredness on the line.

What did I get done? A 10cm length of edging painted with one coat of white! :?

I have a good excuse. Mid painting the doorbell went with Mr P presenting me with my new Bachmann Class 25 (picked up on ebay for £39 -P&P included and a Bachmann 21 pin decoder fitted. :D Baaaaargggain!!)

I present exhibit A:

image.jpg
image.jpg (125.21 KiB) Viewed 2787 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (128.46 KiB) Viewed 2787 times

I just had to. I spent the rest of the morning doing what any enthusiast should do - play, play, play. Sometimes you have to put the modelling to the side and just enjoy a good old watch and play of trains.

Hopefully next time I will have something more to show for my time other than sheer glee.

Thanks for looking.

Paul

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:18 pm

Small update for you. In between feeding and playing with our 3 month old I have managed to make a start on the platform surface today.

I deliberated over this for some time as to what to use for the surface. I would really have liked to used the plastikard paving sections but these are just too expensive. Instead I have opted for 2mm mount board. With it I have scored paving into the surface (using the point of a 6" nail) and painted with black, grey and brown acrylic before applying a coal dust dry brush to the surface to bring out the grout lines. I will dab glue spots into random areas of the joins and apply some scatter to represent weeds and grass growing - but all in good time :D .

Some photos below to show the work so far.

image.jpg
image.jpg (186.18 KiB) Viewed 2727 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (200.94 KiB) Viewed 2727 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (166.68 KiB) Viewed 2727 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (143.67 KiB) Viewed 2727 times

Thanks for looking.

Paul

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:26 pm

It looks fantastic a very effective way to build a platform

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:20 pm

I echo Alex's comments - very convincing - looks like it's drying out after rain.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:40 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. I am really happy with how it has turned out so far.

Ex-Pat wrote:I echo Alex's comments - very convincing - looks like it's drying out after rain.

I agree, it does look like it's drying out after rain but this was purely by accident. It's more a case of the card being a little more susceptible to the water based acrylic paints than if it was being painted onto plastic. Still, it adds a little extra character you couldn't replicate as easily yourself. :)

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:06 pm

It's about time for a little update on my layout. Work has continued at the usual pace as I juggle work and home life.

I have finally completed all laying of the platform on the westbound line. Platform furniture is still to be put in place but this will wait until the far side is completed for fear of causing damage while stretching over.

I spent today experimenting with my first range of rolling hills. First up I formed the basic shape using polystyrene cut and shaped roughly with sandpaper.

image.jpg
image.jpg (157.5 KiB) Viewed 2579 times

Next I slapped a load of PVA down and laid basket liner down on top - making sure I moulded it into the folds to highlight the dips and rises in the hill.

image.jpg
image.jpg (171.53 KiB) Viewed 2579 times

This is currently drying. Once done I will add shrubs, fencing and an animal or two to finish. The ballasting between the hill and track will also be laid and hopefully one should blend into the other.

Finally just a couple of pics of the platform from different angles. Apologies for the poor lighting. Was all done in a bit of a rush without additional lighting.

image.jpg
image.jpg (136.88 KiB) Viewed 2579 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (164.47 KiB) Viewed 2579 times

Thanks for looking.

Paul

Dad-1

Re: Galgorm Hall 00 Gauge Loft Layout

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:05 pm

Hi carnehan,

Name changed correctly I hope !!
It fought back a little, but beat it into submission.

Nice space there and looking good.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

KevSR

Postby KevSR » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:25 pm

Ballasting looks great. Is that basket liner that colour normally or have you painted it? it's very effective.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:02 pm

Thanks Geoff. Much appreciated.

KevSR. That was the colour of the liner when I bought it. Thought it was a great colour. Will vary the colour with some bushes and trees in time.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”