Galgorm Hall 00 Gauge Loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
PinkNosedPenguin

Re: Galgorm Hall 00 Gauge Loft Layout

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:58 pm

Shop fronts (esp. the easels!) look excellent . . .

whynot

Postby whynot » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:13 pm

So very, very, good!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:18 pm

Thanks chaps.

Not done with you in mind, Jim but the shop fronts are now complete. :lol: Shop signs and porch tiles have been produced using a word processing app and some white decal sheets. For a little personal touch, the art shop is named after my son and the wedding shop is my wife's maiden name. 8D

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (102.07 KiB) Viewed 1124 times

The fronts will get a touch of weathering at the end of the build process which will help hide the staining from using the Decalfix solution.

Next up is a bit of a headache. I started on the roof this evening using plain plasticard as the base to which the slaters tiles will be glued. It took two attempts and a lot of slicing and dicing to get the main bulk of the roof to sit precariously in place. I put everything away for the night before I got more frustrated. In setting the stuff up on the shelf it dawned on me that the ridge of the roof is sitting to high and too straight against the rest of the build. Grrrrrr! I'll have to trim a little off each gable end before I return to positioning the roof. Perhaps everything will go smoother tomorrow night. ;)

Paul

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:18 pm

The tiles and shop signs have transformed it, if that was possible.

re. roof: I'm sure sleeping on it and starting afresh tomorrow will reap it's rewards.
Look forward to seeing the results.

Jim.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:46 pm

The roof fitting turned in to a minor drama as I tried to first fit the plain plasticard and then make a choice as to what material I was going to use for the tiles. I was torn between Wills sheets and Slaters.

The pros of the a Slaters was in ease of cutting and being able to use one sheet for the whole roof. The cons were the very subtle relief it gave which I felt was a bit flat. Pros for the Wills was the strong relief you get in the embossed sheet but far out weighing this was the difficulty cutting and the fact I'd need two sheets to span the length of the shops.

In the end I opted for the Plasticard sheet. To enhance it a little a randomly cut three sides on some of the tiles and pushed them forward a little to produce a more pronounced relief. A coat of grey toned this back a bit.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (133.25 KiB) Viewed 1090 times

Finally, a range of acrylic washes and dry brushes gave the roof a more weather worn look. The protruding tiles have blended in much more but still add a subtle texture to the overall look.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (122.96 KiB) Viewed 1090 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (126.46 KiB) Viewed 1090 times

Paul

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:17 pm

That looks superb! The roof weathering is flawless, absolutely photo perfect. Bravo :) I tip my hat to you on that one.

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:03 pm

I agree with "THE CHIEF", and I think your weathering work on the roof is just about as good as it gets.

You must be very pleased with the results, I certainly would be!

Jim.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:41 pm

Thank you Chief and Jim, I'm delighted with the result.

Tonight has pretty much finished the build. The backing is gluing in place, I have gutters and downspouts fitted and I've also scribed a date stone for the building too. Once I get it fitted in place on the layout I'll post some concluding pics.

Paul

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:36 pm

Carnehan,

As ever, cant wait for the pics. This has been a real treat to watch.

I hope some newer modellers catch this and gain the confidence they need - well done

Peter
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:56 pm

Excellent work, you are putting me to shame with your progress!!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:26 pm

Notroh wrote:Carnehan,

As ever, cant wait for the pics. This has been a real treat to watch.

I hope some newer modellers catch this and gain the confidence they need - well done

Peter

Thank you Peter. I think any form of modelling is all about confidence. With practice comes improvement and with that the confidence builds too. I'm a true convert to the scratch build method and if my techniques can help anyone dabble in the form then this project has been well worth the effort.

luckymucklebackit wrote:Excellent work, you are putting me to shame with your progress!!

Jim

Jim, this project has taken approximately 7 weeks to complete so I don't think you have any need to be shameful. If Galgorm Hall had lovely new locos arriving such as those recently on Gateside I wouldn't have much time for projects either. :lol:

Well, I have the building set in place on the layout. There are a few scenic details to carry out surrounding the shops such as the alleyway between it and the Victorian shops and I should also address that crack in the roadway! For now here's some shots of the completed project.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (148.41 KiB) Viewed 996 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (128.58 KiB) Viewed 996 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (147.41 KiB) Viewed 996 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (148.46 KiB) Viewed 996 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (155.11 KiB) Viewed 996 times

Paul

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:50 pm

A superb completion of the project 8)
What will you build to go between these shops and the houses? (i.e. to hide the incongruous green toys :lol:)

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:28 pm

It look's brilliant in situ. I especially like the hieght diffrence.
One tiny tiny comment. With such detail will you be dressing the upper windows somehow?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:00 pm

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:A superb completion of the project 8)
What will you build to go between these shops and the houses? (i.e. to hide the incongruous green toys :lol:)

Thank you PNP. The lack of backboard is really starting to detract from the overall look of the thing. I have spare sheets of 2mm ply that I need to paint and fit in place to rectify this. As for the gap, I have two more builds to complete this little section, the first of which will commence tomorrow evening.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (105.38 KiB) Viewed 936 times

I love the look of this drab building with its very functional 60's styling to it. It used to be a health centre of some description - I can remember attending it as a young child for ear examinations. I'm going to model it as is with the view that it's a brand new health or welfare centre for this area of town.

This will leave a small gap for a single house dwelling.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (98.67 KiB) Viewed 936 times

The house in the middle might fit and is similar in architecture to the terraced row that it will sit beside. IF that doesn't fit I'll find something else suitable - perhaps an Arkwrights type shop

End2end wrote:It look's brilliant in situ. I especially like the hieght diffrence.
One tiny tiny comment. With such detail will you be dressing the upper windows somehow?
Thanks
End2end

Thank you End2end. Tiny, tiny comments are more than welcome, it's what focuses me on aspects I may have overlooked. I had considered adding curtains and blinds to the windows and if I'm really honest I didn't fit them in the end as it was close to project end and I just wanted to get it fitted on to the layout. The backing of the build is just some black card so I will probably come back to it at some point and remedy my laziness. :oops:

Paul

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:12 am

Lovely work as usual Paul.

I really like what you describe as the 'drab' building.

It is one of those buildings that could be used as anything.

Being a time served compositor it would probably be a printing works if it landed on Millsend.
Looking forward to seeing it come to life.

Jim.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”