Galgorm Hall 00 Gauge Loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
carnehan

Re: Galgorm Hall 00 Gauge Loft Layout

Postby carnehan » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:51 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments.

End2end wrote:Excellent modelling carnehan. It looks the business and maybe even more interesting than the digger would have been. :D
Perhaps a location for a small cameo. :idea:
Thanks
End2end

End2end, I may park the digger up at the workmens scene - seems obvious really considering there is a dirty big hole in the road.

Bufferstop wrote:A great job with the sandpaper, the cracks are truly random. I've got a section that could benefit from giving that a go.

Bufferstop, I'd like to see your interpretation of it. We don't see enough of your layout on the forum.

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:
Carnehan, I'm just catching up on things after a period of absence, and your recent scene is looking really very good 8)
I'm definitely getting inspiration from this for my own layout . . .

Nice to see your return to the fold PNP, your layout updates have been missed.

Paul

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:31 pm

I love the build up of those little cameo scenes, it enhances
the superb modelling & I love seeing experiments, must try
that torn sandpaper.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

andm76

Postby andm76 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:18 am

Love the layout, quick question where did you get the layout printed from?

i am about to start my layout and am struggling to get this printed anywhere, i wanted to start the layout without laying the track so i could finalise the actual scenery plus i am getting the set as a present and wanted to be in a position to have the layout under way / completed by the time november comes

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:22 pm

Thanks andm76, the layout was planned using the Anyrail programme. There is a free version limiting you to the number of track pieces you can put together and a paid version which gives you unlimited pieces. By breaking your plan down into modules the free one tends to suffice for most needs. Once complete you can print out the plan 1:1 scale and lay it down to see how everything looks.

Hope that helps and good luck with the build - I look forward to your updates.

Paul

andm76

Postby andm76 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:53 am

Hi mate

I designed my layout on anyraill free version too when I printed the individual sections out I must of got the scale wrong and not 1:1 breaches the pieces where not right when I printed them :?

Not to worry I will try again

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:32 pm

Things have been quiet of late on Galgorm Hall. Following the completion of the yard and the August competiton JCB build I took a rest from modelling until I decided what to tackle next. Having had a visit to The Ulster Folk Museum last weekend I found my inspiration.

image.jpg
image.jpg (108.03 KiB) Viewed 1271 times

Originally built in Carrickfergus it was moved to the museum and is currently a sweet shop ideally located at the museum entrance. The shop, in its original location, had various trades throughout the years including a drapers shop. My intention is to place it to the right of the terraced houses on the corner of the two meeting roads and make it The Railway pub complete with frosted glass window to hide the unruly drunks :lol:

The build process will follow similar techniques to that used on the terraced houses. This time, however, with decent photos of the real life building I spent the first evening doing a lot of brick counting of the real thing and marked it all out on the Slaters brick sheet to bring it down to 4mm size. With this cut it was time to make the card backing with all the supports to allow it to stand and to prevent it bending.

image.jpg
image.jpg (81.44 KiB) Viewed 1271 times

Here is where I am at to date. The card low relief section is complete and the Slaters card cut. A strip on the right hand side will have to be cut to suit the much thinner door end on the card piece.

Paul

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:36 pm

A good solid start and the style of the prototype will match superbly with your terraced houses, so much more personal than just throwing a metcalfe kit together. Looking forward to it coming to fruition. :)
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:37 pm

carnehan wrote:
Bufferstop wrote:A great job with the sandpaper, the cracks are truly random. I've got a section that could benefit from giving that a go.

Bufferstop, I'd like to see your interpretation of it. We don't see enough of your layout on the forum.
Paul

I'll just have to get myself one of those round things, you know - a round tuit.
I know the layout is well overdue for an update report,
This is what happens when you touch type with a dying battery in the keyboard
must shift all the crap thats accuulated in te circulation space, 'd need a 3ot elhot lens to get anytig.
lets try again
I must shift all the crap that has accumulated in the circulation space, I'd need a 3 foot lens to get anything at the moment. Check out my competition thread to see where I was forced to put my tramway test plank.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:57 pm

Steady progress is being made on The Railway pub. Once the plasticard was applied it was time to get the brickwork painted. This has worked out much better than expected - especially the yellow bricks surrounding the door and windows. This has come from careful planning and measuring before cutting the openings.

image.jpg
image.jpg (115.01 KiB) Viewed 1194 times

With previous scratch built efforts I have used a wash of acrylic paint to highlight the grouting between the bricks. This time, I took a slightly different approach and applied the acrylic paint without thinning it and then removed the upper layers with kitchen roll. I hope you agree that it gives it all a much more defined line.

Next up was installing the door and windows.

image.jpg
image.jpg (109.67 KiB) Viewed 1194 times

The door was from the scrap box and fitted perfectly. The window frames were all scratch built using 1mm square plastruct and 0.5mm plastruct for the centre bar.

image.jpg
image.jpg (100.09 KiB) Viewed 1194 times

Tonight's work saw the frames and door getting a lick of black paint and the window sills some grey. The sills will get a touch of weathering applied later to tone them down a little.

Next up I'll be tackling the timber work of the double doors and large window. This will be a foray into the unknown so fingers crossed all goes according to plan.

Paul

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:27 am

This looks great. The different brickwork around the windows looks very good and the brick colouring is very effective too.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:12 pm

Thank you Skyblue. The last two nights have been spent putting together the woodwork round the large window and corner doors. Before I paint everything I thought I'd share a photo first in order that you can see the series of plastruct pieces used to create the effect.

image.jpg
image.jpg (101.1 KiB) Viewed 1133 times

Once painted the whole thing should come together quite well.

Paul

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:38 pm

The build is reaching its conclusion now. I have completed the pub windows and doors, the roof has been fixed in place and the chimney installed. Tonight saw the first coat of paint on the roof and chimney and now waits 24 hours before the next stage can be applied.

Still to do once this is completed is the guttering and downspouts, a sign extending from the wall, the window panes - including the frosted bar windows and a touch of weathering to the whole piece.

image.jpg
image.jpg (122.35 KiB) Viewed 1077 times

Paul

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:49 pm

Paul,

This is looking really good, I can't wait for it to be finished so I can drop in for a pint - Bass preferably!

:)

Peter
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:43 pm

Thank you Notroh, if you take a look at the final build picks I think you won't be disappointed with the beer available. :D

The build is more or less complete. All work is done on the building other than placing it on the layout. The pub windows became a real pain to create a frosted window effect. I used clear transfer sheets but found that when placed the colours just disappeared from view. I settled with white transfer sheets instead. It's left the colouring a bit more solid than I'd like but I'm happy with the effect it's trying to achieve. In the last photo I've tried to show the lettering within the frosting but it wasn't easy to get a clearly focused shot.

image.jpg
image.jpg (126.76 KiB) Viewed 1025 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (100.56 KiB) Viewed 1025 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (68.35 KiB) Viewed 1025 times

Paul

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:33 pm

I think you've caught the atmosphere of a pub really well - well done.
carnehan wrote:Thank you Notroh, if you take a look at the final build picks I think you won't be disappointed with the beer available
The only thing stopping me going in there is the terrible beer on offer :o (you can't please all of us all the time!) - I'm a real ale man through and through, sorry :lol:

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”