Galgorm Hall 00 Gauge Loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Ex-Pat

Re: Galgorm Hall 00 Gauge Loft Layout

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:06 pm

Thanks Paul - even more fascinating prospects with the addition of the run-round loop.

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:40 am

Looks like good progress on the track-laying - and that's the first time I've seen the track plan - but are there some sections missing on it? Is it basically a double track circuit with junction station and branch to a terminus? Looks to have great operating potential and be nice to see some trains running 8)

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:43 am

Hi PNP, the track plan was drawn using the Anyrail programme so I only had the 50 piece limit hence the missing sections. The important bits are there though! If I just want to watch trains running round and round I can do so on the double mainline. The end to end branch line give me added play value by running coach stock or wagons in to the terminus and moving wagons in to the coal sidings or across to the goods platform. That's the theory anyway. :lol:

Paul

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:20 pm

It's official, trackwork on the mainline station side of the layout is complete. It hasn't got any warmer up there but I persevered, the air grew bluer at times too and I have a few cuts and scrapes whilst working under the boards. :'( Track testing proved to be more than a little frustrating as I kept finding dead spots on the points. A chat with the ever helpful The Chief gave me the hope that things could be rectified but it turned out that it was muck ups all of my own doing that was causing the problems.

One set of points hadn't been wired up correctly at all with the omission of bus feeds being the biggest blunder. On other sections problems arose as a result of wires having become dislodged from their moorings on the polarity switches. This had come about when I'd been underneath soldering and snagged another wire nearby. Clumsy or what? Anyway, all rectified now and things have been running smoothly so far.

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0505.JPG

I've moved on to the branchline side now. As the picture below demonstrates, I'm drastically running out of room on the edge of the layout to lay track so this afternoons job was to add a little 3" extension to the board for extra room. I'm currently messing about with a couple of points trying to create a small goods siding. Once settled, I'll stick all the track down and then move on to the final large electrical job - the mimic panel. 8|

IMG_0506.JPG

Paul

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:28 pm

It's looking good Paul, with nice realistic "flows" to the trackwork.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:44 pm

Thanks Ex-pat, so far the only straight sections of track anywhere on the layout are the four sidings in the engine yard area. I may even put a gentle curve to the branch line station to avoid that straight look. :D

Paul

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:48 pm

I echo Ex-Pat's comments, the track layout looks really interesting Paul,
looking forward to see it's progress over the coming weeks. Lovely job
so far, signal box looks at home in it's position too.

I must get back to building my 'many' wall sections, oh the joy :wink:

Jim.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:38 pm

Thanks Jim, it's getting there, slowly.

Paul

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:06 am

I really like the track flow as well - flexi-track can be a pain sometimes, but the end result gives a much more realistic look! Will you start ballasting sections or do it all at once?
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:04 am

I would make sure it all works first before ballasting, as once the ballast is set, any track adjustments can become a major operation!

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:37 pm

Thanks Eastern, I've enjoyed working with the flexi although it does take a little more work to get it to look right. As to ballasting, it'll probably be done in sections. Certain areas such as the platform sections will need to wait until they are constructed and I'm not quite ready to build those yet - I need more info on the station and it's layout first. I may, however, do large sections of the raised trackwork on the opposite side as there is no pointwork or other detailing to get in my way. First things first though, paint the railsides. :roll:

Mountain, I'm all to aware of attempting to rectify faults with pointwork on GH1 after ballasting so I'm in no rush to go down that same route again. There will be plenty of playing trains to ensure those faults are eradicated before the PVA appears.

Paul

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:00 pm

I like the way your layout is coming along though. The gradients look inviting. The trackwork gives things a spacious appeal.

Rono

Postby Rono » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:42 pm

Hi Carneham, just a question, and for any others that have either chose to fix their baseboards in their lofts the same way as yourself, do you worry about weakening the trusses by screwing into the webs?

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:58 pm

Mountain, thank you for the comments, hopefully when scenics begin, stretches of fields will only help to enlarge that feeling of space.

Rono, in a word no but you did get me wondering so I went and had a little read up on it. Apparently, trusses and joists have particular loads they can withstand but a screw or nail should have little impact on that and can be treated much like having a knot in the wood - an element that is factored in to those load tolerances. A big no no is to chop a chunk of the truss out or bore a large hole through one as this will greatly affect the load. Another option to disperse the weight being placed on the truss is to spread that weight between two trusses rather than relying on the one.

There you go, I learnt something new today. :D My roof shouldn't fall in round me! :lol:

Paul

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:03 pm

Hi Carneham - looking really good - this is where flexitrack laid out in a prototypical manner really shows up set track for what it is

Rono wrote:Hi Carneham, just a question, and for any others that have either chose to fix their baseboards in their lofts the same way as yourself, do you worry about weakening the trusses by screwing into the webs?

Think of it as a girder bridge with additional struts, it actually should strengthen the structure

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”