Galgorm Hall 00 Gauge Loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
End2end

Re: Galgorm Hall 00 Gauge Loft Layout

Postby End2end » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:10 pm

carnehan wrote:Drinks are on me chaps. 8)

I might drive a train later so I'd better just have a single......loop. :D
Thanks for the video. Very theraputic. :mrgreen:
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:23 pm

carnehan wrote: with guru Ex-pats words ringing in my ears. I stripped back all the wiring and started again and believe it or not, things operated perfectly on first testing. :D

Paul

It wasn't me guv (or guru!) - honest - I have to confess that I've never laid a double slip in my life!

But I know it's a great feeling when things work - either first time or even eventually.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:43 pm

Thanks End2end.

Ex-pat, it was your methodical approach that helped. I've been a bit scatty with my process which will lead to the occasional **** up so when I went back to basics I tried the more logical approach with both points mirroring each other. The result spoke for itself, right first time. :D

I'll stand by my guru statement.

Paul

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:22 pm

The ice cream van pulled in to the estate a couple of weeks ago. In the course of conversation it turned out that he knew a man in to model railways so I asked him to pass on the information of our fledgling model railway club. Turns out the chap was interested and I got his number to make contact. That conversation occurred today and he's coming along. The other interesting development is that, prior to the decimation of beauty for functionality at Ballymena station, he took photographs from every angle of the station before its ugly transformation. He was going to look them out for me and I was to call this evening to have a browse. Alas, he can't find them, currently. Fingers remain firmly crossed as this could be a huge resource for when modelling begins.

In the meantime, track laying continues. God, it gets tedious! Both mainline tracks are complete and pointwork is underway in the station area. Look...

IMG_0558.JPG

I've hit a bit of a bump now, I can do no more until more track arrives. I've run out of flexi and have had some on order with my local stockist for a few weeks. Time wasn't an issue but now I could really do with it and he still hasn't received an order. The point of using him was a) to give him a little business and b) to avoid the heavy postal charges for having flexi track shipped.

I guess, if nothing else, it'll give me a chance to start looking at other projects and give me a break from track laying. I can still run trains after all. :D With that in mind, I'm turning my attention to the Signal Box.

IMG_0030.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

This box is all that remains of all the old buildings at Ballymena and something I really want to replicate. Unusually, the box sat back to front to the main line to allow the signalman to monitor all the goings on in the engine yard and narrow gauge railway.

I also like this finger to health and safety. :lol:

IMG_0089.JPG

Paul

Coopslner

Postby Coopslner » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:00 pm

Progress is looking great, and it is tedious. I have decided to get my track from Hattons. I will gather an order together, and usually it is cheaper than high street shops. The postage is no more than a fiver and on a big order you could make a saving. I find that the dispatch is quite quick as well. I understand the support for the local shop and there are services they do which you rather a face to face, but when it comes down to an already expensive hobby, it's just econnomics that drive my loyalty these days.

What point motors are you using?

I look forward to seeing more of your buildings again and hope you get your pictures!

Coops
Derby Friargate GN

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:34 pm

a. How the hell does the buying of a 99 come around to the subject of railways???? Timbs>=Baffled
b. Mushroom men built that Signal box! Never seen such a large overhang!
c. The signalman has watched too many Youtube vids and was trying to catch the last train home
d. Rejoice in the interesting work which is track laying, for the tedious ballasting has yet to come!

Strangely, just did some ballasting tonight and have now perfected the technique, so it is quick and easy, almost enjoyable!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:09 pm

I can see a nice scratch building project developing with the signal cabin Paul.

This reminded me of a TV advert long ago;
Perhaps the driver passing the box wasn't collecting a token, the dangerous
acrobatics of the signalman suggests, just maybe he loves 'Milk Tray' :lol:

The track laying is quite enjoyable, now ballasting, that's a different matter.

Jim.

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:12 pm

:P Sorry chums

I think that signal box is a wonderful modelling challenge which will give Paul lots of frustration and much enjoyment

Go for it carnehan!

:)

Ps - don't moan about track laying -you are so lucky to have the space but just remember how much ballasting you are going to have to do

;)

Peter
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:19 am

Thanks chaps.

Coops, Hattons would usually be my first choice for merchandise but they hit me with a £10 postage charge the last time I ordered flexi track making it £15 dearer than my local stockist. Perhaps, in hindsight, I should have ordered anyway and sucked up the costs. :wink:

I'm using Peco point motors with polarity switches attached. I got a batch free from a modelling friend so waste not want not. :D

I'm seeing the chap this evening so hoping he's maybe had another hunt for those pictures.

Timbersurf, don't you always try and drive conversation to trains if an opening appears. He asked what we were doing today so I said 'playing trains'. Door opened. :lol:

I don't mind ballasting. Track laying feels a bit like making the baseboards, it's an evil necessity to get a layout together. The ballasting comes undet scenery building and that is pure joy.

Jim, it's been too long since I did a bit of scratch building and I'm looking forward to starting. I've already picked up the Ratio interior pack for detailing so I just need the building. Railway club tonight so tomorrow night should have groundworks commencing.

Peter, you're not wrong. Hopefully there will be more enjoyment and limited frustration during the build. You are right too regarding space for the layout, no Brigadoon here and I am grateful for that.

Paul

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:34 pm

Still no sign of any track arriving so I've turned my attentions to the signal box. With this being the last remnant of Berkeley Deane Wises architectural wizardry in Ballymena I can at least build it as closely to the prototype as I'm capable of.

First up, was a rough card mock up to get an idea of scale when placed in its location.
IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

Immediate thoughts are that it needed an additional 6-8mm in height but other than that I was quite happy.

The build will follow my usual technique of a card skeleton to which I will apply brick plastic to the lower structure and a combination of scribed plain plasticard and plaststruct strips for the wooden panelling and windows. The interior will use the Ratio signal box kit with flooring made from scribed plasticard. I need to source some pictures of box interiors to assist with positioning of furniture and colour tones for the walls.

On with the actual build. The four sides were measured out and cut, removing the window and door apertures.
IMG_0001.JPG

Next up, on the internal sides, I applied card strips to form the support for the floor and vertical supports to help guide when gluing all sides together. In addition to this I have added additional struts in the centre of the long sides to prevent them from bowing inwards and also to stop the floor sagging.
IMG_0002.JPG

A quick loose assembly just to show the current state of play.
IMG_0005.JPG

I will cut the centre formers next and glue everything together. Before settling on scribed plasticard I'm going to experiment with foam board for the floor in an attempt to represent grained timber. Previous working with this medium has been a complete disaster so I don't hold out much hope this time either. :(

One quick question. The small arched windows will need some wills brick arch pieces added. I have enough to do one side but not the other. Would anyone have any knocking about in their scraps box before I go an order an entire pack?

Paul

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:59 pm

Now you're getting somewhere - Buildings something you do really well !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:03 pm

At last !

Scratch building on Galhrom Hall :)

I can't wait to see your progress - it will be stunning as ever

Notroh
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:50 pm

Great looking start to your signal box

Coopslner

Postby Coopslner » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:52 pm

It's great to see a step by step of this build snf I am very much looking forward to following your progress with it. It looks very well thought out so far, keep the pictures coming.

Coops
Derby Friargate GN

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:02 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Dave, you've helped cast a little doubt in my buildings height. :? No turning back now I'm afraid. It's taken three hours of cutting and gluing to get to this stage, I ain't starting it again! :roll:

Paul

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”