Galgorm Hall 00 Gauge Loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
harris

Re: Galgorm Hall 00 Gauge Loft Layout

Postby harris » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:06 pm

hi
great job - what brand/type of retaining walls did you use
thanks
I measure 5 times but still end up drilling twice

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:11 pm

Harris, if it's the walls that were along the siding you are referring to, they were scratch built. Flick back to page 10 and you'll find the build process. Hope it's of some help to you.

Paul

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:25 pm

Thanks carnehan. Inadvertantly you've taught me something new. :)
Down next to the thread page number selection buttons is a box with a bent arrow that you can use to jump to the exact page you want within a thread.
Brilliant! :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

js1975

Postby js1975 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:43 pm

Loving the shop front relief.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:25 pm

Thanks JS, sadly all gone now with preparations well under way for the rebuild. I do hope to retain some of these low relief builds for the new town scene though.

Paul

carnehan

Re: Galgorm Hall - The Reincarnation

Postby carnehan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:24 pm

It's been a little while since anything was posted showing progress on the layout so time to rectify that. Following a decision to model something based on my home town station a new track plan was drawn up producing this.
Using Anyrail software I was limited to 50 rails so some track has been omitted. The main roundly roundy is a double track being served by the station of Galgorm Hall. A branch line also terminates at Galgorm Hall on the bay platform at the upper side. This branchline feeds the outlying station of Abbots Grove before continuing to other outlying stations on the route. The track feeding off the board on the bottom right hand corner will eventually be a fiddle yard for the line.

The mainline sits 70mm above the main baseboard so it was necessary to carry out a lot of woodwork to produce the required hieghts for both main and branch line and that work has just been concluded.

With some track loosely placed and the shape of the raised trackbeds it's now possible to get a feel of how the layout will look when permanently laid.
The north end of the main station sees the track feed round from the branchline and the main line run. This is where the main pointwork will feature with the two road station shed sat in the upper corner and a goods siding on the lower side. The lower baseboard will have an access road sloping down from the upper board to the main road with the station and its upper level platforms the main feature here as per the prototype.
Moving south out of the station the tracks will run over an embankment with the town featuring on both sides.
The bridge is not as per the prototype but I liked it from the last build so wanted to incorporate it in to this. The low relief buildings may have to be replaced with something else as the dimensions don't quite work at present for what I have in mind.

Going back to the north end, the trains loop round the corner with the branch-line at the rear beginning it's decent to the lower level baseboard.
Having swung round the joining board the mainline is on the upper tier with the branchline crossing beneath
The branch enters the outlying station with the mainline sweeping round behind.
The branch then continues under the mainline again and will end in a fiddle yard off the back of the main layout (yet to build).
Enough of this image posting; kids are in bed, Mrs C is watching some rubbish so I'm off to the loft. lol

Paul

manna

Postby manna » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:41 pm

G'Day Gents

Looking good, like the way the branch sweeps around and under the main line, but where dose it go after it enters the tunnelmouth ?

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:40 pm

Already looking very interesting Paul with the prospect of some fascinating shunting movements.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:15 am

Thanks Manna and Ex-Pat. Manna, in answer to your question, there will be an off scene fiddle yard for dmus and short branchline trains.

Paul

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:58 am

One to look forward to seeing progress with. Really first class carpentry on display so far. Also a nice uncluttered track plan, many new modellers should take note!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:55 pm

Thanks Jim. One thing I haven't found the solution to yet is where to put all that stock when not on the railway. :?:

Paul

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:12 pm

Paul,

Re - Thanks Jim. One thing I haven't found the solution to yet is where to put all that stock when not on the railway.

My House?

Oh no, i do N :)

Fantastic start to a great layout by the way

Peter
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:34 pm

Notroh, you wouldn't know what to do with something so big in your hands! :lol:

Paul

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:23 pm

carnehan wrote:Notroh, you wouldn't know what to do with something so big in your hands! :lol:

Paul

Ooh - 'ere - NO! Madam - PLEASE! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:52 pm

carnehan wrote:One thing I haven't found the solution to yet is where to put all that stock when not on the railway. :?:

Well............

I stubbed my toe on my off layout rolling stock storage :lol:

I use a lidded underbed storage boxes giving a large area inside to lay out A LOT of rolling stock.
Both boxes have hinged lids so you can open either end or take the whole lids off.
I think I got them from Wilko's or Poundstretcher (not poundland) ??
I've placed bubble wrap in the bottom of both boxes to keep everything safe and not move around possibly scratching or otherwise damaging any of the contents.

This first box is almost twice the size of the second and houses locos and buildings until the layout is ready to site them.It also has plastic wheels fitted as can be seen by the second picture.
ubs1.JPG
ubs1.JPG (32.76 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
ubs2.JPG
ubs2.JPG (34.17 KiB) Viewed 1431 times

This second box contains only rolling stock.
ubs3.JPG
ubs3.JPG (43.82 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
ubs4.JPG
ubs4.JPG (33.18 KiB) Viewed 1431 times

I've shown side-on pictures for both so you can see how deep they are.
Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”