Galgorm Hall 00 Gauge Loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: Galgorm Hall 00 Gauge Loft Layout

Post by Dad-1 »

Want a challenge Paul ?
How about an empty fag packet on that pavement and a few
dog-ends ?
Seriously though this is first class.

Geoff T.
thebritfarmer

Post by thebritfarmer »

Layout is looking very nice.
All Aboooooard !!
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Geoff, when you say dog ends that's terminology for butts and not dog sh@t?!? Although, has that ever been viewed on a model railway - particularly the white ones you never see anymore. Ok, I'm off to think modelling techniques for all those thoughts. :D

Britfarmer, thanks for the feedback.

Paul
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Some fantastic and atmospheric modelling there :) .
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Thanks Gerald for getting kind comments.

I have now completed all the pavements and the section is now positioned and glued on to the layout.

The one problem in returning to similar projects so long after you completed the task before is that you forget what method you used to achieve previous results. I thought I'd followed similar practices when producing the tonal effects for the paving but the older paving is much lighter than that produced this time round. I did manage to highlight the pavement joins better this time though so I may go back to the older paving and try to bring it up to the same colour as the new.

I haven't completed the tarmac laying at the top of he road as I want a continuous piece to cross the join of the two road sections for a smoother finish. None of this can be done until I construct the road on the other side of Bridge Street though.

For now, I've had enough of road building. There are huge voids either side of the road that need some buildings slotted in so it's back to some more enjoyable construction. :D

Paul
manna

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Like it, sometimes there was archways over the start of an alleyway.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Thanks Manna, an archway is something in my future plans. Ive been giving some thought to what I want to populate the remainder of Station Road with. I'd like another pub, a small 1 screen cinema and, perhaps on the corner at the top of the road, a bank or small hotel. I do know the trackside buildings will have a cobbled lane serving the rear with access via an arched entry beneath one of the buildings. Hopefully, as a viewer, you will be able to peer up the passage and view a glimpse of the street beyond.

In the meantime I have started the first build and it is probably the last kit building I will tackle on the layout. I'm using the Dapol general store kit but am hoping to make some minor modifications. The first glaringly obvious one is that it's been chopped in half as it forms a low relief store next to the fruit shop. This will plug the small gap between it and the joining side street.

Here's the progress so far.

I've added an additional wall to the side from the offcuts of one of the gable ends just to add a little interest. I'm going to keep it as a hardware store and hope to stock it with all manor of items in the shop windows, on the kerbside and hanging on the walls. In addition to this, I'll add a cloth canopy above the shop windows. The building is going to have a whitewashed finish to the brick although this will be faded in places to reveal the original red paintwork.

Since writing this I have the main rendering of the walls is done.

A coat of red oxide primer was applied first followed by a coat of white primer. This actually took two or three applications to cover over the red but applied lightly and left to dry after each coat prevented the brick recesses from being lost. Finally, sandpaper rubbed over the surface revealed the red brick beneath. Care needs to be taken on what appear to use. Too fine and it doesn't work it's way through the primer and too coarse and it scores the paint in lines rather than lifting full sections of paint.

It all looks a bit spotty at the moment but it should tone down somewhat once signage is fitted and the windows, doors and walls are painted.

Paul
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Hi Paul looking through those pictures of the road surface a thought came to mind. The surface shows wear and fading so is obviously not just laid, so how come nobody has been along and dug a trench across it, then reinstated it with a darker asphalt? Or dug out a manhole cover and re-levelled it to the surface of the road. Easy enough to do with some different grade abrasive paper. Have you tried making tyre tracks with a Peco track rubber, great fun.
Good stuff - I'm looking forward to some more.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Bufferstop, what a great idea. When sanding the road surface I've used my finger to try and vary the tone by rubbing my finger alongside it to represent tyre tracks but it's very subtle and barely noticeable - particularly in photographs. The track rubber may just produce a more defined line so it's time for some experimenting. As for ashphalt repairs, it's something that has been suggested to me before so I must have a look at that too and your solution of different grade paper to produce it may produce the desired effect.

Thank you.

Paul
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

carnehan wrote:

Paul
Now, there's an idea for something rather different - a crime scene - you've already got the chalked victim outline in the road!
railwayjim

Post by railwayjim »

I'm enjoying the extending of Station Road Paul and am lookng forward to it's development, I really like
the road surface you've created using wet n dry, it looks so realistic, might be pinching that idea Paul!

Keep the pictures coming, as and when.

Jim.
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Ex-Pat wrote:
Now, there's an idea for something rather different - a crime scene - you've already got the chalked victim outline in the road!
Ahh, Mrs Trimble was deeply distressed when her much loved poodle, Mandy, was callously run over by a hit and run driver. Good news though, the police say they have a lead! :shock:
railwayjim wrote:I'm enjoying the extending of Station Road Paul and am lookng forward to it's development, I really like
the road surface you've created using wet n dry, it looks so realistic, might be pinching that idea Paul!

Keep the pictures coming, as and when.

Jim.
Thank you Jim, I'm sure I stole this technique from someone but I don't remember who or where I saw it. It is, I think, a very effective solution for creating a road surface though. Pictures may be slow in coming but I'll endeavour to do my best. :wink:

Paul
Coopslner

Post by Coopslner »

Hi Carnehan,

I've been catching up and I am impressed with your updates, I really like the finish of the hornby terraced shops and a great idea to cut them into half relief. I managed to pick up a boxed kit some while ago which is awaiting assembly however I need to add an extra floor to mine.
I also like your road surface, quite realistic in colour and texture.
I look forward to seeing your hardware store completed.

Cheers, Coops.
Derby Friargate GN
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Hi Coops, nice to see your return to the fold and thanks for the comments. The Hornby shops are a particularly good kit, full of detail whether built in half relief or taken as a whole. It's a shame, actually, that they didn't persue the kit options more in their range.

The General Store kit is on hold at the minute, sitting at the back of the work bench awaiting my return. Shortly after my last post I'd had an attempt at a running session with little success and the outcome of which is full brakes applied to the layout with a view to ripping it all up and starting again. I have a planning thread elsewhere on here where discussions are afoot to resurrect Galgorm Hall in to a smoother running and more visually appealing layout. I've already had some great input and ideas that I hope to incorporate in to the build - a new dawn for 2017.

Paul
harris

Post by harris »

hi
great job - what brand/type of retaining walls did you use
thanks
I measure 5 times but still end up drilling twice