Andrew's New Loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
lairadepot

Re: Andrew's New Loft Layout

Postby lairadepot » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:58 pm

hi andrew
no dcc systems arnt cheap my gaugemaster prodigy advance 2 cost me £190 but well worth it but please take my advice and stay away from the bachmann dynamis system as i had one and after a year it would not communicate with the infra red box
been told lenz is the pucker one to get if you can afford it
and as for loft being tidy well you should see mine when the kids go up for bits and pieces a you can guess a bomb hits it lol
keep up the good work
laira depot aka peter

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:12 pm

Finally managed to spend a couple of hours in the loft on Saturday and put together the basics of the far end incline. Ran out of time and needed some adhesive to hold the formers in place so hopefully that will all fit brilliantly first time when I get a chance to put it all together! Thankfully my mate Ben is helping so two minds cthinking, checking and re-checking is helping us to avoid too many mistakes.

Once done then on to the near end incline, fix track to both and sort the bridge/viaduct to top level terminus. That will then leave the sidings and works area plus all the scenics and electrics. Starting to thinking cap on re the scenics now along with access to tracks inside tunnel(s). Should be OK :roll:

Slow progress (I need to learn to be more like Lofty but he has a lot more knowledge and skill than me :lol: ) but hopefully be abit more presentable by the time Olivia arrives in town.

No pics at the mo as not a lot to see.

Andrew
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:27 pm

Hey good news Andrew, progress....we want progress... :)
Trev

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.......

My layout thread

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:00 pm

Progress of sorts today as I have tidied the loft up. All trains and rolling stock has been put away, tools likewise, accessories and trackbed put under the layout along with yet to be used track. There then followed a big session with the Dyson hoovering up all the sawdust, scraps, waste material and normal loft dust. Track was also hoovered. Now I have a clear (and relatively clean) work surface and baseboard. So much easier to get an idea of what to do next, where things are going etc!

No doubt it won't be long before it is messy again but who knows maybe this is the new me ......... :|

Andrew

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:06 pm

joshing_man wrote:No doubt it won't be long before it is messy again but who knows maybe this is the new me ......... :|

Erm, if you're anything like me then it never works out that way - it soon gets messy again :roll: :lol: !

Any new pics coming soon?

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:13 pm

My loft is not tidy even after I have put stuff away :oops:

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:21 pm

Well when I say tidy ... the baseboards are now clear of all the previously mentioned items (including sawdust!). The floorboards have been hoovered too. Then everything is as neat as I could get it. To both sides of the layout in the eaves are boxes (full and empty!) and 'stuff'. That will have to wait for another time (and probably a skip :? ).

Andrew

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:27 am

Another two hours in the loft tonight and the 1st incline is in place! Well pleased with it. Done a rough test with loose manky track and locos seem happy enough with incline although yet to do a proper test with coaches etc. Also there is a bit of a camber so will see what it looks like when track laid!!

Photos to prove work is being done.

Start of the incline

Middle section

Joining to the upper level

Hopefully will get the track done soonish.

Andrew

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:36 am

Way-hey! Progress indeed mi' old fruit! 8)

Glad to see that despite the uphill task you were inclined to produce good work and didn't slope off to do somat else instead...that's it, I'm sacking my script writer with immediate effect :oops:

Splendid to see things coming along old bean. Good compensation for KUT's sad demise (I'll be gentle tomorrow, I promise :P
Don't worry too much about the camber at this stage mate. it can easily be rectified anyway with a spot of 'modeller's initiative' (or 'cheating' as I usually call it) 'cos I had a similar spot of bother on the approaches to the station on Moorcroft (St Anthonys) where the weather had managed to get through my weatherproofing and warp the wood :evil: I just propped up the lower side of the track and what do you know, it worked! 8)

And you can cover it all up with ballast anyway :wink:

Catcha soon fella, hopefully with a full frontal gratuitous up-the-hill shot complete with stock :shock:

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

waz

Postby waz » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:30 pm

Hi Andrew !!

Good to see youre getting on with it. What a great job that is. I wish I had that much room. May be that's what holds me back from starting again. I am so limited as to what I can do in the space and shape of room I have. Keep up the good work. I'll be checking on you.

Take care.

My Very Best Regards

BILL.

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:34 pm

Thanks chaps.

Used Gripfill glue to help hold it down and expand into any gaps and seems to have done the trick with hardboard formers and top. Gradient really shouldn't be a problem - the Warship powered up the two lengths of flexi I plonked down on the steeper bit from start to middle section.

As Tim says I can always pad out to reduce the camber!

Bill - the loft and layout are a good size but as can be seen from the time it has taken me to get anywhere I probably should have started with a small layout to get the confidence of doing it myself and making mistakes. With this I want it as near right straight off as mistakes are costly in time and money and I don't have much of either!!

Next session will probably see the track laid and and a good hour of train running :lol: 8)

Andrew

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:31 pm

Nice one Andrew 8) I trust you have done some further work since that update, no slacking allowed you know :)
Trev

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.......

My layout thread

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:14 pm

Coming along nicely look forward to seeing this develop, wish i had that much room to play with :D

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:06 pm

wow, that looks cracking Andrew :) Lots of space to play with, and regarding track work it looks well filled :)

Ben
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas.

Film-making Railway Enthusiast.

81D

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:14 am

It took longer than expected to get work done but finally it has happened. With an oval of manky old track downstairs for my lttle one to play with (4th day now and still enjoying it!) I got into the loft yesterday (yes I saw some of the Royal Wedding but thankfully not all of it!) and laid some track.

The incline now has its track connected with no foam bed so could get noisy with a lovely soundbox created by the hardboard. Locos coped well with the incline - the Warship has power to both bogies and weighs a ton so no issues there :lol:

Spent ages working out the second incline, route, angle etc and got the formers down before running out of Gripfill and time. May get that finished soon, foam bed and track laid so able to complete a top to bottom circuit for the first time ever! If I time it right that may be in time for Olivia's visit, so no scenery but a momentous occasion.

Will try and get pics up soon but not a lot more to see at the moment.

Andrew

ps One reason it took so long to do so little yesterday was the tidying up meant I couldn't find some tools incuding the craft knife for removing the sleeper chairs. Ended up using the Stanley knife which is getting blunt from scoring the hardboard - blame the tools I say!! :P

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”