Andrew's New Loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Infrontcat

Re: Andrew's New Loft Layout

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:13 pm

Hi mate :D

Whoo-hoo! Now that's what I like to see! Nice big curves (Rather like my latest squeeze) and lotsa progress (ditto 8) )! Great to see the little beaut taking shape. Slight cause for concern though: I'm not entirely sure about the positioning of the model dogs. I suspect they would be nearer the tracks through canine curiosity and- far be it for me to criticise- they do seem a little 'off-scale'. And I'm not certain that pink poodles were introduced to this country before the era you are intending to model. Have they been checked for rabies? :lol:

Cheers mate, great to see yer on the move with it

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:40 pm

Infrontcat wrote:Whoo-hoo! Now that's what I like to see! Nice big curves (Rather like my latest squeeze) and lotsa progress (ditto 8) )!
Tim

PMSL!

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:19 pm

Hey Tim - thanks for looking in and for those pearls of wisdom. Will get the little girl to get her scale act together :lol:

Andrew
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:56 pm

Hi Andrew
Great to see you back on here updating us on your layout. Hope to see it develop even more.
Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:40 am

Thanks Dave.

Managed another hour and a half today and almost completed the inner track on the 2nd level. Really beginning to take shape now but some tricky bits to follow so may slow down again :roll:

Andrew

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:03 pm

Managed a couple of hours today so now have two complete loops on lower and upper level.

Yet again needed to file down the double slips as slightly raised (2-3 mm in fact!). Bearing in mind the cost of these it is irritating that Peco cannot send out better quality :cry: :evil:

Next step is to build the inclines. Reckon should be able to do each of them in a couple of hours each all being well. The track laying will be pretty quick once the support and base is in place (I hope!!).

Andrew

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:14 pm

Picked up a load of point motors from the sorting office this morning. No they don't sell them, they were delivered while I was away :lol:

Big thanks to a certain grumpy former mod who let me have them at a very reasonable rate 8)

Hope to have them in use by the end of 2011 :roll: :lol:

Andrew

lairadepot

Postby lairadepot » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:15 pm

hi ya
i just thought id say a big hello
and congratulate you on a good job so far your layout looks really good
so i wanted to know were is your layout based upon and what era and what are you going to be running stock wise on your layout???
laira depot

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:45 pm

Thanks laira depot

Layout is based on my mind I'm afraid (slow and messy some might say :roll: ) and what I hope will look good once the scenics go down! The station area on the right where there is a bay end is loosely based on the High Wycombe station where platform 1 ends at the station office but has two through lines with offset platforms. Mostly I have steam trains but whisper it ever so quietly but I am beginning to like some diesels too which is why I have a class 37 and the latest purchase the Warship. Doubt there wil ever be a class 50 on here but you never know :lol: . Will be going DCC so stock will likely change but will probably remain a 'my train set if I like it I will run it' type layout. Apologies to the purists but hey ho that's what it is!

Andrew

craw607

Postby craw607 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:51 pm

Glad to see you've managed more track laying.
Have you managed to run anything yet or still at the testing stage.
John

lairadepot

Postby lairadepot » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:44 am

hi andrew
well at the end of the day it is your layout and you run what you want as it is a fictiscious place so anything goes in my book
so what dcc system are you going to be using i have the gaugemaster prodigy advance 2 system and i would highly recommend it
and will you be adding sound on your dcc layout
and one thing i will say is to take your time
laira depot aka peter

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:45 pm

joshing_man wrote:Comments welcome. Also advice!
Andrew

Hello Andrew, At this early stage of construction I would put up a couple of shelves on that apex wall, its convenient at the moment to have tools & modelling materials on the area's of un-built scenery, but in my experience that will soon change as you progress beyond the track laying stage.

Track plan looks very interesting too, nice to see you have a hi-level line, as I look forward to seeing a few girder bridges :D

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:05 pm

John - yep have managed plenty of run time up to now (one of the reasons for slow progress!!). Have tested the final area that has been laid and took time to smooth the double slip as it was raised a little (just as the previous one had been!). All works a treat. My biggest issue will be access to the long tunnel once the scenery goes in. Have been contemplating this for a while and although I expect it to be perfect and never to have a derailment( :? ) I think I have a plan for access - will soon find out!

Peter - thanks for your interest. Am looking at the NCE Powercab system and have found a local stockist where I can actually go and test it along with some other options. These things aint cheap though are they!!

Dave - hope to have some girder bridges and there will also be a viaduct of some sort as the upper level goes across the board to the top level terminus. Once some of the scenery is closed in and starts to take shape hopefully it will look more like a layout and less like a train set although in reality tahat is probably what it is!

Thanks for the interest.

Andrew

ps Definitely time for a tidy up with or without shelves :lol:

lairadepot

Postby lairadepot » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:20 pm

hi ya mate
hows things going on the layout any work done on it
and do we have any new pics on the way???
laira depot aka peter

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:22 pm

Rarely get any work done on the layout during the week and weekends get packed too so not always able to get into the loft to work on the track laying. Next step are the inclines and will work closely with my mate to get the gradient and camber right on these. Will take photos of the construction as it happens but not much more to show at the moment. May photograph my mptley collection of engines and rolling stock if I do a major tidy up though!

Andrew

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”