Andrew's New Loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
joshing_man

Re: Andrew's New Loft Layout

Postby joshing_man » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:30 pm

First up for Bill is a picture of the trackbed! Part number is ST1474.

Then for Lewis and you all (seeing as I hadn't posted it) the revised track plan. The point on far right hand side has been reversed (may still alter this bit) and no doubt other changes will occur especially with the sidings. Believe this is a much better plan. It is on two levels (in fact the Terminus is on a raised level so that portion is 3 levels!).

Comments welcome. Also advice! Will definitely be going DCC as soon as budget allows the purchase of said operating system!

Andrew
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):

waz

Postby waz » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:03 am

Hi Andrew !!

Thanks for all the info. I was looking at it on Woodland Scenics web site yesterday but I couldn't get a good view of it. It does look great and if my memory serves me it aint that expensive. Looks good close up on the box. Did you use the special pieces for points etc?

Did you buy it direct from the distributors?

My Very Best Regards

BILL.

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:19 pm

Hi Bill

No I haven't used the special points pieces. So far it seems to have worked without and all the tie bars continue to have free movement. Once ballasted I doubt it will look much different either. Have drilled holes for future point motors too so that shouldn't be an issue either.

Can't remember now where I got the stuff from - I thought it was OnTracks or Antics Online but can't see it on either website. Probably did get it direct from Woodland Scenics I guess.

Andrew

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:24 pm

Great to see you back on it mate....that trackbed is superb, I used it on my layout and it was the business, really easy to use and gives you a nice angle for ballasting, top stuff!

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:25 pm

Cheers Gav - hopefully this time it will all go a bit smoother and I can keep steadily at it.

Andrew

waz

Postby waz » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:59 am

Hi Andrew !!

Thanks once again for the info and forgot to thank you for going to all the trouble of photographing the box for me.

Found the the product on "Totally Trains" web site so as and when, I know where to go for it. Looking forward to seeing more of your progress.

My Very Best Regards

BILL.

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:24 am

Hi Andrew,

Trackplan looks great. Just make sure you give enough thought to the height/incline issues at the bottom there. It looks a challenge as in the bottom left you have two lines (from the lower level) cutting under the inner loop but that inner loop joins the same lines about two feet later (if you see what I mean)

Great to see you back on track. This is now a proper race mate as I am working on my layout 24/7 :wink:
Trev

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.......

My layout thread

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:58 pm

Hi Trev

I probably should post the individual layers to help it make more sense but....

The lower and upper loops are exactly that on the LHS (and RHS for that matter :roll: ) but are joined by the single track that is the innermost loop on the LHS (top is lower level and bottom is higer level end of incline if that makes sense?). For the RHS the incline is the single track in the middle and separates the upper (outer loops) and lower (inner loops). That slopes down from bottom to top.

Originally was going to have double tracked inclines at both ends but it was becoming even more complex to fit in so went for more complex operational procedure that allows both inclines to be run in either direction! It seems to make sense and work but........

the proof will come at a later stage!

Hope that makes some sense and if you want pics of the various levels (remember the terminus in the top LHS is on a slightly raised 3rd level sloping down across the board from top left to bottom middle/RHS to join the upper level loops there. This means (I think) that there will be some running in wrong direction but it's been a while since I looked at the full plan :oops: :roll:

Now that the lower loops are down I will seriously have to check this all through again and get my mate Ben to make sure we are not about to make a big expensive **** up!

Hope that helps!

Andrew

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:08 am

Hi Andrew, thanks for the explanation. I now understand it and I think I was getting confused mis-interpreting where two lines pass over/under as being a link via points.

IWhen I planned my various levels I marked up a copy indicating the required height differences needed when lines cross over/under each other. Then, working with the gradient I thought would be safe, I marked the required height at various points around the layout to check there was nowhere where a total **** up could occur. If you want to make sure then it may be worth doing something similar :)

If you do go down the DCC route you can get auto reverse modules for around £20. One required for each reverse loop section. Make's life dead simple with no worrying about stopping the train and switching the polarity manually.
Trev

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.......

My layout thread

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:43 pm

Cheers Trev - will bear that all in mind when the time comes.

Andrew

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:32 pm

Hmm - sure I updated earlier this year but unless Lofty has been deleting my posts I guess not :roll: .

Anyway, will post pics soon of the progress that has been made. Plan basically the same but the inclines are single track and the sidings yet to be confirmed!

Today I played/ran in my new Warship that I bought in York last week and it was fantastic even on DC with the lights etc. When the DCC system is bought and set up I know it will be great. Pics to follow soonish but at least I won't now need to go looking for the thread so much! If I started a new one somewhere then someone please point it out as getting senile now I'm 45 :lol:

Andrew

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:01 am

Finally some photos. First two show the upper level that was fixed in place in April. Next two as they are today and then two of the Warship.

Hopefully will finish the track laying on the upper loop soon. Then it will be the inclines and the viaduct over to the top level terminus. Not to mention the sidings and industrial track in the middle! Maybe by next summer it will be all laid and ready for scenery and ballasting etc. Will also be DCC wired by then and allowing for plenty of train running too.

Andrew

craw607

Postby craw607 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:40 pm

Things are definately taking shape and plenty to keep you busy
through the winter nights.
John

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:48 am

Hey Andrew,

Great to see things progressing in the loft......those sweeping curves and the high level part really look great, even without scenics, great stuff mate,

Keep the updates coming,

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:24 pm

Thanks John and Gav

Plenty to keep me busy and will try to work on it more regularly! The curves do look good and the trains seem to appreciate them. I am going to have to be careful about access in the event of derailment in tunnels. May have to train my daughter's new hamster to go in and retrieve the trains and without chewing them to bits 8). My little girl loves loading the hoppers and trucks with little animal figures (see two of the dogs in one of the pics) so once the tunnel is completed and stations and buidings are in place she should love it. Reckon my son will then be more into it too.

The layout is really beginning to make sense now it is in 3D and looks like it will work if I can get the inclines and the Terminus right. Then it's the sidings etc with appropriate scenery - say 5 years of work :lol: :roll:

Andrew

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”