Andrew's New Loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
joshing_man

Re: Andrew's New Loft Layout

Postby joshing_man » Mon May 02, 2011 7:42 pm

Bought some gripfill and stanley knife blades on Saturday and got some time in the loft just now. Managed to get the 2nd incline half finished (the technical end bits to do!) but will then need the foam bed and track laying but that is the easy bit!

No pictures as still not a lot to show.

Andrew
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Sat May 21, 2011 10:52 pm

Well today I managed 3 hours in the loft and the 2nd incline is now completed with trackbed and track laid. So for the 1st time I was able to run a train around from lower level up to the upper level and back down again :D All worked well so very pleased with the result.

Next up is the higher level terminus and connection to the upper level followed by the goods yard. (This could be a while but who knows!).

Then it will be wiring for DCC and finally ballasting and scenics (reckon that is a long time away as likely to want to run it in for a while and ensure any issues are corrected). I already need to cut a hole in the corner baseboard to allow some access to the tunnel in case of derailment. Will have to ensure the track is kept very clean to avoid major problems.

Andrew

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:17 pm

Hi mate :)

Good to know things have progressed since I was last on here. Any news sinc the completion of the incline bits? Any news on the terminus? Do tell :wink:

Catcha later mate

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:47 pm

Hiya Tim

Good to see you back on here mate. No more work but I ran my lovely Warship at the weekend and had it pulling 3 coaches and a dozen wagons up the incline with no issues at all (it is a lovely heavy model!!). Not sure all the locos would fare so well but all managed it with comfortable rakes so all good so far.

Cut my hole in the corner but will need something like a small litter picker to help with derailments but much better access anyway. Will need to do other end as well I think but that is where the terminus will partially be supported so will need to take care!! Made a right old mess with dust so the cleanup will be important otherwise the derailment is a given!!! :roll:

Andrew

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:22 pm

Back down to page 6 and 6 months since I cut that hole. Still not fully cleaned up the mess either!!! :oops:

Anyway, have finally got myself the NCE Powercab controller to go DCC. Today I spent a fair few hours with my mate wiring the layout - it's about half done I guess and it seems to work! The wiring would have been a lot easier if we had planned it better and done bits as we went along but hey ho why make life easy for yourself when you can struggle later?! :shock: :?

Have just the one DCC fitted loco - the Bachmann Warship. It runs a treat but top speed seems slow so will have to work out how to adjust it. Excellent at slow speed though. Pulls the wagons well and copes brilliantly with the inclines.

No photos or owt but at least an update to show I haven't completely stopped!

Andrew

ps Happy New Year to you all.

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:53 pm

Been trying to fit some point motors today. First few (Peco) worked a dream and were a doddle. Then on to some Hornby ones! What a palaver they are! Really struggling to get them to 'fire' across. Chap who helps out (Ben) reckons we need a CDU to do it properly as they are so stiff and stubborn even though the points work perfectly well by hand. Might get some photos up at some stage but with so little to show it seems pointless. Work has continued but very slowly.

Can't believe I have had my DCC Warship for 2 years nearly! Still it works well on DC and DCC so no complaints but need to finish the track and get it much cleaner having made a right old mess today!

Expect another update in 6 months time or so!

Andrew

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:42 pm

6 months? Make that two years!

Flying visit as getting a modicum of interest back. However, as we are moving house (hopefully within 6-8 weeks) the layout is no more as I have dismantled it all, removed the baseboards and supports and have a clean and tidy loft where once a grand project was starting to take shape.

In reality, I bit off far more than I could chew, work and family commitments took over and the mojo went missing.

Maybe, just maybe, it will return and a smaller and better layout will emerge in a new location.

Don't hold your breath - you know it will be a long wait for an update!

Take care all and trust some old timers are still on here and remember me!

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:17 pm

New house = new railway!
Good luck & we'll wait for an update - even if it is 24 months....!
OO in the loft. Lenz 90 making it go.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:18 pm

Hi Andrew,

Very long time no hear !!
Won't moving throw a spanner in the works so to speak, decorating, new curtains and anything
else the dear lady requires, all taking priority is time & expenditure !!
I'm now a big believer in keeping it small(er) and simple, so let's see what you can dream up as
and when you find the time.
There are a few oldies around still, with Martin Levin making a come back, Lofty is now just known
as Dave oh and quite a few others......

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:50 pm

Not sure if I count as an oldie, but welcome back regardless!

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:01 pm

Welcome back

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:21 pm

Hi Gavin,

Of course it includes you, although I was rather rude in including
you in the "Quite a few others", but then what about Mike64 and ....
I'll be just digging myself a deeper hole !!!!!!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:29 pm

Dad-1 wrote: Lofty is now just known as Dave

Hi Andrew

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:07 pm

Hi Andrew, nice to hear from you again. I go along with Geoff, something small that you can get running quite quickly is a great way to get back in.

John W.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:27 pm

One idea that is gaining traction in the States is The One Module Approach, (TOMA). In a nutshell, you create a large layout bu building one smaller module at a time that is operable and allows you to complete it in a reasonable timeframe, before moving onto the next module which connects to the existing one.
Eventually you can end up with a very large layout that hasn't overwhelmed you from the start and also allows for changes in plan along the way, but crucially, you can have something up and running in a short period of time, meaning you don't lose motivation halfway through and give up.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”