Sodor Quarry Mk1

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
MrH

Sodor Quarry Mk1

Postby MrH » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:30 pm

Work on Little Bits Sodor has been a little slow recently mainly due to Seren having to go to school and not getting to play trains with Daddy :(
So what to do? I have long been planning an exhibition layout based around a timesaver and inglenook puzzles with a passing spur thrown in for good measure.
This sounds quite simple a slate quarry but given it's Sodor it needs a few twists to bring it to life. In addition to this I want to practise all the skills and make all the mistakes on this board to make sure the Mk2 exhibition version will be as good as I can get it. So as I go through I will be documenting my mistakes trials and errors resulting in a set up ready for MK2

So onto the layout....
Track plan is two layers

Layer 1 on the ground The grey areas are potentially going to be removed so that the layout doesn't have a flat front profile.

Layer 2 for extra interest which may or may not be a gradient depending on how trials go.
The corridor at the back right of the picture will be the quarry walls with an iron bridge over for the track

Rolling stock
Ultimately will be aiming for about a dozen of the grey hornby troublesome trucks a mixture of number 1 and 2 (any chance of a 3 and 4 Hornby?) for the main puzzles, with all my 0-6-0 's Toby (the star of the show whom the layout is designed) for assited by Stepney (when he arrives) Thomas, Duck and percy the lone 0-4-0 they lined up for a starting mug shot! The small trucks and S.C.Ruffey will have cameo rolls on the upper layer

Control is initially dc but fully wired for a straight conversion to DCC (hopefully coming soon) with a seperate point control board (both of them!)
Last edited by MrH on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My layouts

Trucks in a Tizzy - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48086

SR/ScR Fan

Re: Sodor Quarry Mk1

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:37 pm

Nice. Thomas with a serious design behind it. I love it.

Rob

Christina!

Postby Christina! » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:55 pm

Oh this is great! I have one of those troublesome trucks with the printed on face if you want it, It'll need a new underside though. :P

TK421

Postby TK421 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:14 am

That's a grand idea and I do like the added realism to a thomas layout, just because they have faces doesn't mean there isn't a railway to run! As it's slow speed shunting will you be using electrofrog points, as little percy from what I recall doesn't like insulfrog at slow speed. Will it just be the grey trucks you'll be using? I can see the variety of thomas wagons ideal for a inglenook set up and you could just as easy base one on the yard at the big station. As it's a quarry will a bachmann Mavis be turning up? More than ideal for a such workings.
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

MrH

Postby MrH » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:17 pm

Christina! That sounds great will send you a pm. I'm planning on having a space for broken wagons :)

TK421. This layout is using Hornby insulfrog as I have been given some to play with but when it comes to the Mk2 exhibition version that will be electrofrog. If percy doesn't like this version I'm not too worried as the 060's will be fine. As for Mavis probably not as I prefer steam but then I wouldn't rule anything out long term.
My layouts

MrH

Postby MrH » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:42 pm

Next step the Baseboard

Made from stuff I have lying around as I know it will become a pin cushion and as you will see already is!
It's a piece of furniture board around 10mm chipboard in 80's black.
!st job was to mark it up and raid Seren's pencils for a white one.

So five batons mounted vertically. Knowing that I want to put a skirt round the front of the board and profile it's shape I haven't put any horizontal batons in.

Laying the track on showed a problem....

checking by putting full scale print on...

yep their is a baton where a point motor needs to go....
so already I have plenty of holes in my pin cushion board and gone down to 4 batons...

So first lesson learnt Mark where the board strengthening needs to go on the plan and refer to it before batoning the board

the track appears to be ok now but more i=on that in my next post
My layouts

MrH

Postby MrH » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:49 pm

Track time....

this version is running Set track mainly as I've been given some and have a few I had already. (the mk2 will run code 100 with electro frog points)

First experiments with the uncoupler/rerailer made the track too long, the other hornby type will only fit in the middle of an r600 or at joins
and wont fit at a point join :(

so then it was over to the PEco ST271 - which dont fit hornby settrack....

Fortunately I had a piece of Hornby flex track which I cut to size to make milipede's

Have ordered 2 more as they are quite cheap but expect to use the gaugemaster tlu's on the mk2 but as I'm going to get 2 for little bits sodor I can play with them when before i fit them there.

So thats me up to date Just awaiting delivery of all the bits I ordered today which will hopefully be in the next couple of days...
My layouts

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:43 am

I got myself some of these they fit into my hornby track and if you don't glue them in place you can reposition them as needed - i have 4 that i move around my layout but will get some more next time i place a order with hattons

MrH

Postby MrH » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:27 pm

alex3410 wrote:they fit into my hornby track and if you don't glue them in place you can reposition them as needed

Aha! I searched for uncoupler and they didn't come up they are under decoupler
grrr I ordered other suff from them last week :(

Waiting for all my orders to turn up before I can do any more work on this one.
My layouts

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:27 pm

It took me a little while to find them, i find that with Hattons as soon as i complete my order they send out their newsletter with more stuff i want :lol: its as if they wait just to catch me out

buz

Postby buz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:39 pm

Hi MRH
S C Rruffy must be there to pick up the narrow gauge slate trucks that got totaled and other scrap metal :D
Interesting idea I am pretty sure the great man himself did the quarry branch as a model will see if I can find the link for you.
Dare I suggest this becomes an extension of the other Thomas layout you are doing as well 8)
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished

MrH

Postby MrH » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:30 am

Buz,
Scruffey is a ballast truck that gets moved to the quarry after some bad behaviour (and the ring leader of the troublesome trucks)
As for the quarry being an extension of Little bits sodor I asked the viallagers and they said no quarry was going to be opened in their back yard ;)
My layouts

MrH

Postby MrH » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:42 pm

Spent today getting the wiring done and the track laid with some training of the apprentice.

track laid with the dropper wires drilled through.

Drilling hole for bus wire

threading the bus wire

cable ties for tidyness

wiring up choc block to the temporary power feed

I just did the soldering.. but need to add some isulation to stop the wires shorting so will get the glue gun out tomorrow.

Tracks cleaned and Toby got the first run

although I had forgotten to connect the stock rails on the points so had to lift them and then do that and now just need to clean Toby's wheels and it should all be ok. Tomorrow should get a run with the trucks on.
My layouts

MrH

Postby MrH » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:07 pm

Having helped build it it was time for Seren to have a run.

and completed :)

Clean wheels is proving to be quite important.....
My layouts

TK421

Postby TK421 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:18 pm

Like the coulored rocks I was wondering how you where going to make the wagons individual for the puzzle.
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”