New Mexico HO layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
SR/ScR Fan

New Mexico HO layout

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:31 pm

Hi all,

It's been sometime since I have been on the forum, and also never finishing a layout, I feel it is time to show you all how far I have got with my current layout.

Set in New Mexico circa 1995, it is a small diesel servicing station, being frequented by ATSF and BNSF locos. It is 4 foot by 1 foot.

Please let me know what you all think. All comments and complaints welcome.

Rob

whynot

Re: New Mexico HO layout

Postby whynot » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:47 pm

Different - and different is GOOD! Size (micro I assume)? Track plan? (Just that I have an H0 diesel and 6 boxcars waiting for a micro to be built come Autumn and am always seeking ideas!)
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:58 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your kind comment. I wanted to try something new as I had done all the cliched stuff. Branch terminus, both gwr and sr, and a scottish diesel depot. It is 4 foot long by 1 foot wide. Simply a fork design, using a medium peco point. I have benn working on it for about 6 months so far, keeping costs as low as possible.

I definately think you should give an american micro a go dave.

Rob

whynot

Postby whynot » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:54 pm

@Rob, perhaps I need to think even more simply than my current "plan", which adds a 24" sliding traverser to the basic 4'x1'

dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:36 pm

Hi Dave,

It maybe be over complicated, but it looks good! Stick with the traverser I say.

Rob

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:48 pm

Hi all,

Just a quick update as I have spent the afternoon adding lighting. I do apologise for the awful pic quality.

I need to secure the roofs to stop the bleed, but im happy so far.

Thanks for looking,

Rob

MrH

Postby MrH » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:59 pm

Love the office interior and the layout in general although the lighting looks a bit bright although if your adding lamps to the yard it will probably balance out.
My layouts

Trucks in a Tizzy - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48086

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:29 pm

Hi Mr H,

Thanks for your kind comments. The lights are connected to a dimmer switch so the level is on full in the pics for my phone camera to pic them up. I will be adding yard lamps to give a nice overall balance.

Rob

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:38 pm

Me again,

After Mr H made a fair point on the brightness of the lighting, I have taken a shot of its normal level.

Much more realistic, and once I have made some yard lamps, it will look much better.

Thanks for looking.

Rob

MrH

Postby MrH » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:57 pm

:D
My layouts

Trucks in a Tizzy - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48086

buz

Postby buz » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:49 pm

Hi SR/ScR Fan
Given the BNSF is a merger of the BN and the AT&SF and the BNSF loco is fresh out of the paint shop as it should be.
Any BN and AT&SF locos going in to the facility should be of a suitable care worn appearance.
Nice job on the office shame to hide it under a roof.
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:35 pm

Hi John,

Thank you for the kind comments. The BNSF locos will stay fairly fresh and the Sante fe stock will be fairly worn. And of course the lazy paint jobs that they applied. The office is pretty visible when the bulbs are on.

Rob

SR/ScR Fan

Re: New Mexico HO layout proper pictures

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:15 pm

Hi all,

Nothing new to show really, just thought I would post some better quality pictures.

14mp does wonders! In this shot are my homemade pallets and oil drums. Plus the incomplete fuel stand.

GP38-2 2257 pokes it's nose out.

In the background is the fuel storage tank made up from an incomplete dapol tank wagon kit, some plasticard strip and some bent sprue.

The over bridge is supposed to represent the end of some storage sidings, wagons will be place there awaiting despatch. The bridge is made of 3mm mdf sheet for the track bed with pine supports, all wrapped in Scalescenes concrete. The main tree is 2 Woodland Scenics trees glued together, as one didnt have the height for a full grown tree in this scale.

I have broken out the airbrush recently and have started to weather the track and ballast, and after that the loco's and wagons shall be getting the same treatment.

Until then, thank you for looking.

Rob

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:41 pm

Me again,

Well I broke out the airbrush for some weathering, and here are the results. Apologies for the picture quality.

No specific weathering details here, just a layer of general muck. Mixtures of blue grey, dark earth, anthracite grey and reddish brown in equal measures and sprayed at a distance of about a foot. Both my current ATSF boxcars got this mixture at different thicknesses.

This one I streaked the paint in a downward motion as it was drying with tissue. The GP38-2 received a quick splash of this mixture as well but only the lower sections, bogies and the fuel tank etc by aiming the airbrush at the newspaper so it was splashed up. No pictures im afraid as the light isnt good enough at the moment.

The track was done with a washing up scourer, rubbing the scourer over the track and ballast. First, a heavy layer of grey, then a medium layer of black, then a gentle rub over with the grey again, leaving hints of black here and there. The rails sides were brush painted with Revells acrylic Rust paint. Its a lot darker than usual rust paints and doesnt come out too orange.

While I had the modelling box out, I added some wall support beams to the sides and ends of the service shed. Im slowing getting there with how I want the shed to look, but its still not quite right. Im planning to add roof ventilation fans and associated wall furniture like breaker boxes etc.

Anyway thats all for now.

Thanks for looking

Rob

SR/ScR Fan

Re: New Mexico HO layout video

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi all,

Made a quick video earlier. Again sorry for the awful quality.

http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw ... 184400.mp4

Thanks all,

Rob

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”