Westdale, West Lothian

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
AllyG

Westdale, West Lothian

Postby AllyG » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:05 pm

Ok, here goes. Now a 50+ guy with money in his pocket and who always had a hankering for model building and railways. Did a lot of models as a boy and had a lego trainset. Only played with an old one as a kid which was bought for an older brother sometime in the 60's. By the time I played with it, it was no longer electric and lots of broken bits. Allegedly I ran through it as a toddler. I've not really gone for either in adulthood except for a brief foray into Airfix warships in the early 90's. Always worried about what folk would think and that I was weird. Now I don't care what others think, I'm gonna do my thing. As someone replied to one of my earlier posts - AllyG is in the house.

My intention is to build a not period specific layout that I'm calling Westdale. My town ends in 'Dale' I live in West Main Street and the County has villages beginning East, West so another would not be unreasonable. I've got approx 3.5m x 2.5m plus wing room for a layout which is coming together in my mind. It will be a local mainline station (we've actually got one here anyway) and will also comprise a military and railway museum portion featuring road and fighting vehicles used from any period and nation and perhaps some period specific rolling stock.

joshing_man

Re: Westdale, West Lothian

Postby joshing_man » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:54 pm

Sounds like a plan ready to get out. If (when) you can, post a track plan so we can see what you are aiming to achieve.

Andrew
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):

hornbyandbf3fan

Postby hornbyandbf3fan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Sounds good, I wish I had some money in my pocket :lol:
15 and a railway fan, something very rare now
My youtubehttp://www.youtube.com/user/hornbyandbf3fan?feature=mhee

AllyG

Postby AllyG » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:21 pm

The track plan is a bit fuzzy at the mo. I've just been seeking advice whether to floor mount it or table it. Opinion seems to favour table and I guess that's about right. But... checking out some members set ups and visiting a web site by Brian Lambert (wow) he favours a wrap around set up. Thats really thrown my mind out of gear. I'd rather do it that way than have a table in the middle and me outside, albeit due to size I'd probably need a cutout somewhere in the table. Being surrounded I reckon will give a feeling of submersion in the set up. I've been measuring again and reckon I can squeeze 3.7m x 2.9 mts for use plus space outwith that area. As we all like pics, hopefully there's a few attached.
Attachments
055.JPG
Pre project clutter!
055.JPG (146.28 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
054.JPG
Pre project clutter!
054.JPG (122.57 KiB) Viewed 2888 times

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:59 pm

'ere, who said you could take pictures of our loft? Ah 'oops, our plastic boxes are green :oops: Welcome to the forum anyhow, If you check my Signature line you'll see we share a disregard for the opinions of those who don't get it.
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:00 pm

Wow, I thought that I had too much junk in my loft :lol:

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:45 am

Hi AllyG - welcome to the forum, know your home town well (wasn't hard to work out :wink: ), used to pass through it from my old home town Airdrie to work in Livingston!!
If you need any help with the track plan I can offer some suggestions.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:32 am

AllyG wrote: I've just been seeking advice whether to floor mount it or table it. Opinion seems to favour table and I guess that's about right. But... checking out some members set ups and visiting a web site by Brian Lambert (wow) he favours a wrap around set up. Thats really thrown my mind out of gear. I'd rather do it that way than have a table in the middle and me outside, albeit due to size I'd probably need a cutout somewhere in the table.

When I saw "table" in your first thread I didn't actually think "table" - I thought "baseboard(s) at table height", and I imagine others thought the same as the replies don't actually mention "table" only. So I'm glad we've sorted that one out!

Hope you don't mind me saying it but when I saw your age I was surprised you talked "metric" - perhaps I'm too old as I'm staunchly Imperial and have to convert metric before I can envisage the sizes involved. (Shades of John Motson's "numbers don't mean a thing" I'm afraid!)

Yes, welcome and looking forward to your progress.

AllyG

Postby AllyG » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:33 pm

I'm not up with the lingo but although I say table it would actually be baseboard possible OSB or similar. I still talk miles and yards but but when I started school, up here at least they taught us the metric system although I'm sure my eldest brother got the feet and inches thing. I've always done my own decorating DIY etc and just have always found it easier to work in in mts and cms. Spent a couple of hrs today clearing out the clutter but you wouldn't notice.

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:37 pm

Hi mate, don't panic, seen worse chaos in smaller places! underneath all that is a cracking space for a top level layout, good luck sir! shall be watching progress, just shout out if there's any questions and don't worry about the modellers double dutch, it grows on you eventually and you'll be speaking in riddles like the rest of us poor buggers in no time. :D :D

top stuff!

Chris P

AllyG

Postby AllyG » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:33 pm

Some clutter gone, don't look at the other half of the loft. Some boxing in, or out, and hiding the ugly mucky chimney breast. I could give up now, I'm not intending of doing that, but it's going to be a long haul.
Attachments
IMG_1232.JPG
IMG_1232.JPG (131.21 KiB) Viewed 2714 times
IMG_1231.JPG
IMG_1231.JPG (125.54 KiB) Viewed 2714 times
IMG_1230.JPG
IMG_1230.JPG (123.38 KiB) Viewed 2714 times

AllyG

Postby AllyG » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Not been doing much this week as I can't devote all my time, who can? but I'm also lost in the opportunities presented by the size of the possible layout. I've tried using SCARM but spend more time trying to master it than getting on with the designing. Often the circuit doesn't meet!

Anyway the reason for the post - as I'll be running double track for large parts likely a complete circuit am I right to assume that the inside curve is radius 3 and the outside is radius 4? and what happens if I switch it back on itself? I want the larger radii as I intend running long flatbeds as well as long passenger trains/coaches. If in areas I want to have a 4 track curved area how do I handle that with the various radii as there seems ample suggestions to steer away from r2 or r1 for what I want.

On a different note I'm going to try and experiment with station platforms, constructing them from plastic video boxes or CD boxes. My question, as I've no passenger coaches to use as comparison, is how high are they normally? I've already sprayed a video box grey and it does seem to have potential.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:45 pm

AllyG wrote:
On a different note I'm going to try and experiment with station platforms, constructing them from plastic video boxes or CD boxes. My question, as I've no passenger coaches to use as comparison, is how high are they normally? I've already sprayed a video box grey and it does seem to have potential.

You will find useful dimensions at:

http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Hints%20&%20Tips.htm#00

(Scroll right down to the bottom diagram.)

AllyG

Postby AllyG » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:29 pm

Thanks, theres so much on his site I'd missed the final diagram and the bit about his station platform. The vid box is 30mm thick so there may still be scope for it's use.

AllyG

Postby AllyG » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:06 pm

Planning!

I've been kept busy with lots of other things but have found that I'm trying to run before walking. I realised the other day that although the loft has sockets and lights the sockets should be moved to a more favourable position. And the fluorescent fitting was exactly where I'd be wanting to stand so to avoid sore heads it'll have to go also. Once thats moved it's easy to see that parts of the proposed layout will be a bit dull so I'll need to fit some bulk head style lights to brighten it up. Yes have a sit down (or a few) with a cuppa and try and consider all the ancilliary things that need done before you even start building the base framework. That said it's now boxed in completely well except for the space so I can move the light and painted white, painting does really brighten it.

I've still been trying Scarm to set a layout but as I keep failing to make proper, meeting, circuits I'm thinking of just going with a rough idea, building the base to fill the space and see where that takes me. Building up a small collection of wagons R243's mostly & well wagons and have bought some locos & track. Perhaps I should spend the money on the basics but I suppose, like us all, there's somethings we just can't help it.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”