My first layout !!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
linuxyeti

My first layout !!

Postby linuxyeti » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:17 pm

is energised !!

Hi all, well, finally got the outer/upper level ovals up and running. Blimey, didn't realise how much of a challenge flexi track is !! Anyhow, at last real progress, I'm also glad I had a voyager before I got down to laying some track, as it needs much broader curves than I as originally planning, so a lucky break there, otherwise the layout would have been built, only for me to find that some of the stock I want wouldn't work !!.

I'll sort out a couple of photos as progress continues. From the offset it's being wired for DCC.

Basically the layout with have a general west midlands feel to it, with some artistic license thrown in for charters :-)

It's N Gauge

Cheers

Tony

linuxyeti

Re: My first layout !!

Postby linuxyeti » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:27 pm

Hi All

Well, basically the track is in place, aside from the spurs that will run off to the fiddle yard.

IMG_0040.jpeg
IMG_0040.jpeg (358.13 KiB) Viewed 1354 times

The attachment IMG_0041.jpeg is no longer available

There's still more wiring to complete, then it'll be a case of firming up the track, and try and reduce the likelehood of derailments etc.

After that, I plan to ballast the track before embarking on the point motors.

Cheers

Tony
Attachments
IMG_0041.jpeg
IMG_0041.jpeg (360.57 KiB) Viewed 1354 times

MOHAAPlayer

Postby MOHAAPlayer » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:12 am

One of your pics has gone down for me, don't know about you!

james2k

Postby james2k » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:15 am

Looks very interesting.

Have you left holes for the point motors?

DAVE1562

Postby DAVE1562 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:49 am

Hi Tony...nice trackplan...have fun with that :wink:

linuxyeti

Postby linuxyeti » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:31 pm

Hiya

Yep, I've got the holes in place for the point motors, I've got a few days off work coming up, so I might have the chacne to do some more on it.

Cheers

Tony

linuxyeti

Postby linuxyeti » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:03 pm

How many points !!!

Well, it turns out for the main layout, I've got 30 points !! 15 point motors are i place now, tested, but not yet wired up !!

Here's my point switchboard image that I'll be using place the point switches.
Attachments
points.png
points.png (62.83 KiB) Viewed 1118 times

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:23 am

Are you using a CDU and wiring up the pairs of points that form crossovers (12 & 13, 15 & 16, 17 & 18, 20 & 21, 22 & 23 and 24 & 25) so that they operate off 1 switch per pair?

linuxyeti

Postby linuxyeti » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:28 am

Hi

Yes, I'm using a CDU, and I've considered using 1 switch for the pairs you mention, I'll test that out first before going for it. I have enough switches anyhow to make it 1 per point. I've heared that sometimes when running off a single switch, they can occasionally get out of sync.

Cheers

Tony

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:45 am

linuxyeti wrote:Hi

I've heared that sometimes when running off a single switch, they can occasionally get out of sync.

Tony

I must have that pleasure to come then! Seriously though I've not heard of that happening - the only problem I had was when I lost concentration and managed to wire one pair out of sync in the first place - but very easily rectified - definitely calls for "test as you go"! For me it wasn't the question of availability of switches, merely the fact that you only need to throw 1 switch rather than 2. (Don't know if that reflects prototype practice or not.) Good luck.

linuxyeti

Postby linuxyeti » Fri May 17, 2013 6:50 pm

Hi All

Well, it feels like an eternity since I last posted about this, anyhow, major milestone passed now, all the points are wired, and shockingly enough, all work on first attempt !!! Currently 30 Libe points, but my 'point controller board; is already wired for another 10 points for what will be the fiddle yard !!.

As you can see, lots of wiring:

Point switchboard wiring !!

Underboard wiring

Point switchboard to baseboard

Then, to stop the wires from snagging, I out some of that cheap shiny loft insulation that we had left under the board

As I've said this my first layout, and my first attempt at wiring points, but overall I'm really happy as everything worked first time.

For the transformer, for the points I found the perfect little transformer in B&Q of all places. It was less tha £10.00 and I found it in their external lighting section. It's a 20W Transformer 'Linking LED lighting' , model number 34004.

It's certainly good enough to power my 30 points at the moment.

Cheers

Now off to play for a bit, and program in some DCC ID's :-)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”