Tom's N Gauge Railway Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Derek

Postby Derek » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:53 am

thomase, welcome to the N-gauge 4ft x 2ft club!!
(There are a few of us about!)

Good start there, always nice to see a layout from the beginning.

And is that Tri-ang P4 or P5 controller? Love 'em, brilliant! :D

thomase

Postby thomase » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:44 pm

Derek wrote:thomase, welcome to the N-gauge 4ft x 2ft club!!
(There are a few of us about!)

Good start there, always nice to see a layout from the beginning.

And is that Tri-ang P4 or P5 controller? Love 'em, brilliant! :D

RP 5.5 controller is what is says on it. I've added another corner now.

I'm going to try and get a metcalf station kit, build that up and then see how I will lay the track around the station. Also need to get some stuff for point motors! :)

thomase

Postby thomase » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:37 pm

Nothing has happened, but I am tempted to just have one board, not cut up and start again on it. I can use the boards I've already made to make a small diorama or something. Least then I would have to worry about the gap over the boards!

thomase

Postby thomase » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:59 pm

After not touching the layout since one of my last posts and it sitting on top of my wardobe I got inspired by a thread on here the other night of a 2 foot by 2 foot layout...so I've taken one of the boards and turned the track around so it's nearly a loop...and I'll put a point and siding in there.

Hopfully I'll be able to build a few of the model buildings I bought last january...and test out doing different bits of scenics!

I need to go and buy some tools for it (like a little hacksaw for cutting through the track - anyone got any suggestions?)

thomase

Postby thomase » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:17 pm

okay, I've got it working now :D

It's an oval of track with a point on one of it's sides with enough space for a few wagons...and I've got a train going around and around at the moment :D

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:33 pm

Will you post us some pictures at some point ?

British Rail

Postby British Rail » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:27 pm

Sounding and looking good, psstt please can we have some pictures :wink:

All the best,

Rhys

thomase

Postby thomase » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:03 pm

photos? nooo. i'll never crack:

my attempt at a hill...expanded polostyrene (aka, snow effect bedroom :P) with polyfiller (well, cheap focus own brand) on top. It doesn't look great at the moment, but I wanted to do something. I'm waiting to get some tunnel mouths of ebay. There are two on auction I want but I'll still need another cos there are 3 lines going inside.

I'm too lazy to clean the board for y'allll

up above, down below...you're too slow:

An idea is that with the siding which goes into the mountain to have that as a more disused line. so i'll put a load of grass and moss on it :D. It'l still be used though, cos it'll be the only place to store some wagons and things.

I need to get a piece of wood for the back of the board so that I can build the hill up to it. I'll cut the other board i've got a part and have about it about 8 inches high. I can put holes into it and bolt it to the side of the board because i've already got bolts and holes on that side as that would of been where the two original boards joined together.

I've been buying things on ebay, and I've got some scatters and balasts to come and some mini trees and things. :D I've already got a few kits I can build (barn, garage and an engine shed, the latter i won't be using with this layout)

thomase

Postby thomase » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:19 pm

In the post today I got 2 of my scatters and 50 trees! I've tried a little bit of my road scatter to see what it's like and got this effect:

I think it'll be fine when it's an actual road. I've also put a little grass scatter down and stuck a tree in the hill:

Over the weekend i will be cutting up some wood for the back board of the layout and then I can build the hill up to it and finish it off. I need to get some dark green paint as well so that i can hide the polyfiller. I might get some other colour scatters and maybe even some of that static stuff. I dunno. we'll see :)

thomase

Postby thomase » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:01 pm

I've finished polyfillering the hill at the back and now need to get some paint and then put scatter down. I've also attached a back board and painted it with the paint I have for the road as it's a bluey sky colour (sort of).

I think with a lick of paint, scatter and some trees it could look quite good! I'm still waiting for the tunnel mouths to put on too!! Hopfully tomorrow, wednesday latest before I'll be upset :cry:

thomase

Postby thomase » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:54 pm

i've started painting the hill and putting scatter down. i'll post some photos when it's done.

One question though, what width would a 2 sided road be in n gauge?

Also, do level crossings need to have gates, anyone got any advice in making them myself? They only need to be static shut.

bricklayer

Postby bricklayer » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:45 am

keep us up to date with progress, and more pictures please !

thomase

Postby thomase » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:01 pm

I've painted the hill and put scatter down. The tunnel mouths on the right are just placed there so people can have an idea of what it will look like with them. The one on the left is attached. We've got the builders in at the moment so I pinched a bit of their cement stuff for the rock faces. I'm not that sure about the effect at the moment. I'm not overally satisfied so if anyone has any advice, comments about it be them good or bad I'd like to hear them! here are the photos:

I'll post some more when the glue's actually set :D

The builder's cement is quite hard to place. I may see what else i could use for the rock faces as i wouldn't mind filling in the bits with just bare paint with a rock face.

thomase

Postby thomase » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:32 pm

I attached the two tunnel mouths just now. The polyfiller's drying and i'll paint and scatter it later. I've added a rock wall on the side of the left tunnel mouth (hidden) because i had trouble glueing it in after and just attaching it into the polyfiller seemed easier :D

thomase

Postby thomase » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:52 pm

I've finished off the hill.

The only problem is, due to how I could fit the tunnel mouths in was to have this gap:

However, I'm not sure what to do to fill the gap in. I could print off some textured card/buy some sort of 'stone' stuff to go in there. I feel like I need something to match the tunnel mouth's stone. The other option is just to put a rough rock face down there. any ideas?

Here's a bit of a bad photo, bad light, bit blurry of the whole layout:

There's two buildings on it. Ones a farm shed and a unfinished garage. I've not finished these just yet. When i have I think i'll put polyfiller down to attach them so they actually blend into the layout and there isn't a gap between the ground and the buildings! I've also stuck a bit of card in as a rough idea for the station, which i will scratch build.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”