Tom's N Gauge Railway Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
B@rney

Postby B@rney » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:09 pm

Coming along nicely.

Are those the trees that come from Japan or China? sold all over ebay?

thomase

Postby thomase » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:28 pm

The trees are german. Here's the ebay link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... TQ:GB:1123

I might try and find some other cheapish trees of different colours and styles so that the trees don't get too continous.

bricklayer

Postby bricklayer » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:29 pm

why not put some rock down the gap between the tunnels, and then maybe use the scatter and some sea foam or similar to simulate bushes and stuff growing over the stone/ rock between the tunnels, would soften the overall look too.....

you have built up the rocks elsewhere and done scatter so iam sure you will continue the build nicely !

thomase

Postby thomase » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:24 pm

I just figured it would need a retaining wall there, to hold the hill back from collapsing onto the inside line.

I've added in level crossing gates and done a little bit to the road there but just as much as a bit of paint and scatter, to be finished later.

I've got a garage built and I did have a petrol pump, but it was soo small and I can't find where i've placed it - damn!!

thomase

Postby thomase » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:36 pm

Just a quick photo update, to show that not much has happened! I've added the level crossing gates but still need to develope the area. I hope to get some fencing and things at some stage which I can use around there. You can see the garage (the board it's on is just taped down) with the men outside on their cigerette break.

I need to get on with building the station platform (scratch built) but I'm a bit nervous about it. I've also not got around to doing any proper plans for it.

thomase

Postby thomase » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:20 pm

Started on the platform. Cut the platform to size and some strips to hold it up. I can paint and put textures on it once it's all done.

thomase

Postby thomase » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:41 am

I've completed the actual platform's shape now and need to get some textures to put on it. Has anyone got any places for free textures for a platform?

The next stage will be to build the railway station house.

thomase

Postby thomase » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:03 pm

I've put some brick paper that I manipulated from a card kit I have with photoshop. I then stuck it to the underside. The top is painted but will be putting another brick paper over it when I find something sutiable.

^^The building there is just being used to help show the change from platform to the painted baseboard as it's got the grey tarmac scatter on it.

When the station's all complete I'll stick it and landscape up to it!

thomase

Postby thomase » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:47 pm

Done a bit more work. Stuck the garage down, put a bit more road in and a pavement. Currently scratchbuilding a station building, modeled from the one in this/last month's railway modellering. The one in the picture I did wrong as I was doing it, hungover, yesterday, but I decided to stick a bit of printed roof texture on it and I also have built a raised bit big enough for it.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:30 pm

You're certainly being quite resourceful with your use of materials and construction. Keep up the good work !

What have you used for the road surface ? It looks like it's a cobbled texture from the picture - but it's a bit difficult to tell. Btw - What happened to the garage with the men having a cigarette break ... it's got no road to get to it now :? Or did it go out of business because the workers took too many cigarette breaks and so the road became grown-over ? :)

thomase

Postby thomase » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:16 pm

SouthernBoy wrote:You're certainly being quite resourceful with your use of materials and construction. Keep up the good work !

What have you used for the road surface ? It looks like it's a cobbled texture from the picture - but it's a bit difficult to tell. Btw - What happened to the garage with the men having a cigarette break ... it's got no road to get to it now :? Or did it go out of business because the workers took too many cigarette breaks and so the road became grown-over ? :)

The road surface is javis grey tarmac scatter stuck onto a paint (the colour of the sky).

The garage is where it is in the previous picture. Cars can still get into it. The garage is tarmaced too, but next to the road is a pavement. the pavement lowers so cars can drive in and out of the garage. This is hard to see on the photos but when i get some fencing it should hopfully show it a bit better.

The actual people will all be added again once i've finished more of the bigger jobs. I'll add them when i need to start adding character and things...I don't want them to get bashed and painted over just yet :P. Might go to prison for putting tarmac over one of the poor, little people.

thomase

Postby thomase » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:30 pm

Does anyone know what the 'ivy' house covering is in this photo? I would't mind getting some for my buildings.

thomase

Postby thomase » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:52 pm

Done a little bit more scenic work on it. I've also made a station building, put fencing up everywhere (not as well as i would have liked though) and i've got some houses and shops and thatched cottages to make. That aught to fill it up quite well so I will just need to put them down, roads, etc, then people people and stuff, then think of funny things to put on it. I might put some absailers on the tunnel mouth :)

anyway, here are the photos, sorry about the flash, but it's too dark otherwise:

any comments anyone? good or bad :P

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”