"Daunton Junction". OO Gauge.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Rabspat

"Daunton Junction". OO Gauge.

Postby Rabspat » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:09 pm

Right i figured i better start a thread on my layout. I called it "Daunton Junction". The layout is a end to end around my small bedroom, it will be based in Kent with stations using from currant south eastern colours to the traditional SR Green completely fictional. It will only be running DMU's and EMU's from the 50's through to now. Because i don't have enough room the station won't be able long enough for the 4 car EMU's or DMU's which is a right shame as i planned for them but we see how it goes. Because of budget i am only using Hornby track as i had a load of it anyway and i can't afford to get Peco stuff that i wanted.

Right i do have one question as i am not sure how to go about it, my branchline is coming off a Mainline but the mainline is just there for mainly cosmetic purpose, so how would i go about making it look like the main line continue at the end of the board but not continue. I drawed a rough track plan of the main line bit so you can see what i am on about.

I get pictures and stuff once the boards are finished.
SIMON
IN PROGRESS
"Daunton" oo gauge end to end Branchline, using DMU's and EMU's in different eras and regions. But general theme would be Kent area with some stations with the SR era colour. Be Starting Board 1 this week I at a time.

hiffano

Re: "Daunton Junction". OO Gauge.

Postby hiffano » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:14 pm

well, you just need to "hide" the end. rather than it just end at the edge of a board.

you could have it go under a bridge, into a tunnel or just hide it with trees, or even behind some buildings.

I recall a layout, and I am sad to say i can't remember who by, but their was a magnificent amount of work put into the "end" of the layout (well to be fair, the whole layout) in terms of trees and foilage just after a river crossing. it looked so natural, and their was no reason to expect the track just stopped.
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

Rabspat

Postby Rabspat » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:32 am

Thanks for the tips. Got a few ideas now so i have a fiddle around and see what i like the look of.
SIMON
IN PROGRESS
"Daunton" oo gauge end to end Branchline, using DMU's and EMU's in different eras and regions. But general theme would be Kent area with some stations with the SR era colour. Be Starting Board 1 this week I at a time.

Rabspat

Postby Rabspat » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:58 am

I thought I update my thread, there has been no progess on boards or track plan yet as my helper (stepfather) has had back problems, he had surgery on his back last year but still seems to be bugging him. So I am sitting here waiting, I would do it my self but due to my own medical problems I am not allowed to lift the timber or to hold in place to fixe it to wall. So I am in a bit of a catch 22 over here at the moment. Plus now I have the station platform names made up I am no happy with Daunton Junction which is annoying I only went with it as my mother wanted a part of it and she is better than me at coming up with names, well I even get her to name my Characters on Online games lol.

So once I find a free program that I can do a track plan on that I understand and don't swear at I have a track plan, if not it be good old MS Paint :roll: . So far it be in sections not sure yet if perm or detachable, but be 5 boards, don't have measurements to hand but I post them later on. I do know that the longest boards is 6ft x 3ft. Not sure if I am gonna have a fiddle Yard anymore as I was thinking I could have a service yard at the end of the line, as I be mainly running DMU's and EMU's it don't need to be to fancy. I have the occasional rarity such as the Class 60 and the Black 5 once i get my hands on them. Otherwise like i said Multiple Units only. stock list so far is:

Bachmann Class 150 (Arriva) not really suited for SR but considering £50 delivered when on offer at hattons i don't care, maybe a long distant service that you sometimes see?

Bachmann Class 205 (BR Green) Wanted this as soon as i heard about them, i wanted the connex but as it was a momento towards my great nan i thought BR Green was perfect, figured a Special paint scheme. I will be getting a BR B/G if they ever do one.

Bachmann Class 108 (BR Blue) These where sometimes seen in the SR but as far as i can find out extremely rare, besides it was a birthday pressie from my mum and stepfather bonus is DCC on Board.

I plan on getting 4 other EMU's as well as a Black 5 and Class 60 which are:

Bachmann Class 416 in both BR Blue and BR B/G
Bachmann Class 411 not sure if to get BR B/G or BR Green
Hornby Class 423 NSE or BR B/G

Well that's it for now i post more when i have more to show.
SIMON
IN PROGRESS

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:34 am

I missed your first posting. If you haven't already decided on how to hide your ends then I would suggest you look no further than your own location, see:

http://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/searc ... t&y=Search

As far as the name "Daunton" goes I have to say that I automatically thought Western Region (based on Taunton and Dainton).

For seeing whether track fits or not, my method is to cut out cardboard templates for each of the point types you are intending to use, and then lay them down in "real time" on your boards (even on the floor if the boards haven't been built yet) and just move them around until you are happy with the result. Then photograph it and/or commit it to paper.

Grayum

Postby Grayum » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:08 pm

As it sounds like you've got your track already you could try marking out your planned base board sizes on a table/floor using masking tape then playing with your track to see how it fits.

Will your branch line loop back around to the fiddle yard and have you considered having a siding or bay platform in your station for the branch?

Rabspat

Postby Rabspat » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:34 pm

Thanks for the idea but I have nowhere to lay the boards out, so I have to wait till they are up. As I said the boards are in 5 pieces and are measured as:

1) : 4.5ft x 1.7ft
2) : 4ft x 2.2ft
3) : 4.8ft x 2.2ft
4) : 6.2ft x 3.2ft
5) : 5.1ft x 2ft

Not very big space as it's going around the bedroom and I have to live in it as well. If I was doing N gauge it be a super layout but I choose OO gauge. Hench the end to end layout. I am just not sure on if I am gonna have a fiddle yard or have sidings at the last station for storage of the loco's. Or if I am gonna have a fiddle Yard at the end of board 5 after the station to make it look like it continues on. I really need to get a track plan but every software product I have used I have just could not get on with. Maybe someone who has the knowledge could draw me up one that I could work with?
SIMON
IN PROGRESS

whynot

Postby whynot » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:31 pm

",,,Not very big space..." is relative I guess! Quick guestimate looks like about 60 sq ft - that's really quite a lot. Even if/when money not a constraint, time and effort can be. Why not start small(er)?

Layout planning - have you tried SCARM? Easy enough for me to use and I'm not exactly over-technically minded!

Just thoughts you understand - good luck!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Rabspat

Postby Rabspat » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:56 am

Well finish the main construction of the platform. Next up to use filler on top and to smooth it out before painting then on to the track.

SIMON
IN PROGRESS

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”