Siddington Lake in 00

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Alexander Court

Siddington Lake in 00

Postby Alexander Court » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:06 pm

For those of you who knew my previous layout, and those who didn't, Tonglington Vale was an 8 by 4 twin oval layout I built in March 2012 (and onwards) with help from my friend lawrie to build the frames and baseboards and laying the track. Now there were numerous problems that developed while the layout was being built:

A) The layout was rather large for the space we had and that meant the spare room didn't really have room for people visiting (the girlfriends brother fell on the layout in the night looking for the bathroom and also a friend we had who stayed the night decided to sit on my platforms fencing while getting dressed!)
B)The way the track was laid didn't really go very well, I continually dealt with loss of power half way round the layout, points not working and breaking and the layout being a pain the the back side to operate when not just running trains in circles.
C)If we were made to move house it would be really difficult to pack up and go with the layout as it was.

More problems will probably be remembered in time. Now I decided it was time (after moving the layout into the front room which involved sawing it in half and rejoining it) to cut up Tonglington and re-use the pieces to build a new layout set somewhere else on the railway network operated by the Muddleston and Siddington Light Railway and the Tonglington Vale Railway co. and one of the places I used to run excursions to was Siddington Lake. After having a look at the space we had available in the front room I decided I would model the station, with two platforms, and have the scenery mostly as a backscene.

The Layout itself is made up of two boards 4ft by 16"s long and bolted together which forms the main scenic area for the railway. The layout will not really work til i get the fiddleyard made which will be at an L angle to the first two boards and will be made of two 4ft by 1ft boards bolted together, the line will leave the station on the first two boards and go round a corner before going into a tunnel which contains (when i have the track) 4 sidings. The road will run near the railway before the tunnel and then above the tunnel on the hill, where there will be a pub, a brewery, maybe a house etc and the circus will find its way onto the layout too.

I will post pictures of progress tomorrow when I have all things resized, but so far I have spent 12 euros and have two boards bolted together and on 34" legs with track resting on top until a package comes from liverpool with Cork and Ballast (which cost 22 euros).

Thanks for reading,

Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

mika

Re: Siddington Lake in 00

Postby mika » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:59 am

Hi Alex,

sounds like a good plan. I also do not have much space, but terminus to fiddle yard layouts really help and they are quite nice to work on and operate.
I wish you all the best for Siddington Lake and look forward to the photos you mentioned.

Michael
My layout 'Sudbury-on-Sea'

My German layout 'Zinnroda (Thür.)'

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:33 am

Thanks Micheal, so here are the pictures, I will start with the beginning and work my way thorugh uploading pics til we get to where we are today, and here is the first batch now:

The Remains of Tonglington Vale after I managed to get it to pieces (at the cost of my beloved hammer).

The first of two frames that were constructed by recycling the old wood.

Using old boards from tonglington, which were in fact about 8" too wide I laid down a mock up of the layout (at this time the frames were still not bolted together, that shall come later)

End on view.

My class 110 nicknamed 'Clancy' meets a local snowman at the station.

The longest road in the shed/depot can hold a 2 car dmu :)

Now here are some pics of a recent project of mine, developing an Irish train to run on my layout, a cie repainted hornby mk1 and 2 repainted triang suburban coaches so far make up the train.

Will work on getting more pictures soon, Thanks,

Alex.

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:52 pm

Here are some more pictures:
With the Correct size boards obtained for the frames I screwed them together and ran some trains to test how level it was, revealing that even after bolting the two together I was going to have a slight issue with height at the board joints.

My class 31 :D

The whole of the layout, long/end on view.

View from operating side.

Locos on shed.

Alex

buz

Postby buz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:45 pm

Hi Alexander
Looks like a very good start to the new layout.
I take it this one is to have a more Irish feel to it.
If you can get some fish plates and solder feed wires to them so the feeds can go under the board to the control point.
It will look a lot better than the the power feed tracks.
Does this mean you might just make an Irish cottage or two :)
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:21 am

Yes i think i might have to! probably mould the house out of clay to get that rough cobbled-together kinda look, paint them white and give them thatched roofs, although as far as I'm aware the irish painted their doors brown and red mostly, must avoid emerald green then. Thinking of when i have two platforms, i will probably use the aifix/dapol footbridge and paint it in emerald green, just to squish another hint of irishness on the layout, and of course i will run an irish train on paddy's day :P

Got more pics to resize and upload so stay tuned folks i'll have them as soon as i can :)

Alex

buz

Postby buz » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:41 pm

Hi Alexander
I think you mean rustic look :D
The pictures I have seen of the Irish cottages I would not have called them rough and cobbled together.
thin polystyrene foam from packing might be able to provide the walls a bit of polyfilla as needed could provide the
rustic look don't over do it.
Thatch well not sure what to use for that.
Then you just need the pub.
regards John

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:24 pm

Depends how old the house is :P i'll have to see what i can find to make stuff out of when i get to it :P

and now for some pictures!

Here are some pictures first of Minories hauling the titfield train i have managed to assemble so far :)
I have 1401 coming soon :P

And now some shots of my shoddy workmanship, at least it hasn't fallen over yet :P

And finally some locos at the end of the day :D

Alex

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:41 pm

Progress as far as last night:
Using library books and yellow pages sorts of things to hold down the ballast while drying

What is left to be ballasted.

My two early BR Prairies :D

Slight problem is that the cork i bought was half as thick as I wanted it to be, this caused a problem later on,as hornby track pins won't go into my wood so they sit at rail height the tops of them, i don't really care so long as it holds the track in place :D

First half ballasted:

The shed area:

The B12 arrives, meets henry and they shunt off to the shed:

Hope you enjoy the pics, thanks again.

Alex

buz

Postby buz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:31 am

Hi Alexander
(tongue very firmly in cheek)
What about this one :D
Gladstone.jpg
Gladstone.jpg (49.79 KiB) Viewed 4738 times

Who cares if Buggleskelly is a totally fictional place :D
regards John

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:15 pm

I have been thinking about how to obtain a Gladstone, i have a few ideas that will probs take a while and money to come into fruition, as for Buggleskkelly? Well just because it was actually in England doesn't matter :P

Alex

Blue_2

Postby Blue_2 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:12 pm

Good to see you're having a bit of fun and games with the new layout. And your Budget Thunderbolt's pretty damn good! Nice work mate.
Weekend toy, Victor XL231's blog- http://victorxl231.blogspot.com/ Admittedly not a train, but classic, British and LOUD!
My OO work in progress: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36766

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi Alex coming along very nicely, your woodwork looks quite neat, but before someone leans on the end and causes the legs to start folding up put some diagonal braces between the legs and the side battens.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:24 pm

Ok, time for an update:

Track plan was changed
Buildings fitted with lights include: Shed, Two Hornby plastic Cottages, Water tower and the Signal box (to which I have fitted my own interior).
Fitted a signal to the layout which I can move the arm via wires going under the board.
The station platform is taking shape (out of paper maché)
I need to get a drill bit to get holes in the wood for my track pins, anyone know whether I need a 1mm or 0.5mm drill bit to do this? (using Hornby track and pins)

Ummm, think that's all, will try and get a decent picture filled update during the week for you all (if anyone is indeed still interested)

Alex

lezjez

Postby lezjez » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:53 pm

Hi Alex,

For the drills, start with a smaller drill as a test to see if the pin will go in. If it is still too stiff, you can open out the hole with the next size up. The hornby track pins are quite thick if I recall.

I agree with Bufferstop - make sure you get some diagonal bracing between your baseboard legs before your hard work get ruined by a collapsed baseboard!

Liam

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”