Siddington Lake in 00

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Alexander Court

Re: Siddington Lake in 00

Postby Alexander Court » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:08 pm

I shall try get the 0.5mm first then, I was worried that if I used 1 or 1.5 mm then the hole would be tooo loose for putting the pins in, will have to see about that then when I get the money for a drillbit :)

I've tested the rigidity and integrity of the layout, and I think for the time being its strong enough, but if I were to add the batons when I have the wood which I probably will do, how would I go about doing that? if I screwed it to the inside of the legs it would have to go sidewaysish towards the baseboard frame to be against the baseboard frame to screw it, would this be an ok way to do it??

Thanks, Alex.

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

Blue_2

Postby Blue_2 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:56 pm

PIcs! Pics! :lol:
Weekend toy, Victor XL231's blog- http://victorxl231.blogspot.com/ Admittedly not a train, but classic, British and LOUD!
My OO work in progress: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36766

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:39 pm

Yes yes soon enough, i'll get you some soon I promise!

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:16 pm

Ok, Piccy time, though Graham you may have seen some of these on my facewacey book, here are some pictures of me lighting up and detailing the Metcalfe signal box that came with Railway Modeller aaaages ago:

The Componants at my disposal

Glueing a wooden bracket into the top of the signal box from which to suspend the light

With flash and lighting inside box

Box lit, without flash on the camera this time

Cabin interior

From the front

The bulb is a skale lighting one from the lighting stuff I bought off a member on here ages ago, the flooring is cork with biro on to draw the wooden floor planks, the signal man is a fireman with his shovel chopped away, less convincing like this but from outside he looks the part, fencing which underwent some cutting and some styrofoamy stuff from a pizza which was cut up too were painted kinda purple (only colour I had, also covered signal man in but its too soft a colour on the black to be noticeable) and glued in place. I wanted to make the bland and all too visible interior slightly more interesting :)

From the other side window

Looking in the door

Making the lighting bracket in one of the cottages

And the same with the engine shed

Outside with flash again

Outside without flash (the light leakage from the rood is noticeable llike this, but when you are stood up next to the layout you can't see it)

What do you think of that then???

Alex

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:48 pm

Not a BR Period box then. You'd only be allowed a 30 watt bulb in a box that size :( Serious though if it was too bright you couldn't see the signal lamps. Unless that is you'd been upgraded with the high tech oil lamp detector, a thermistor in the top of the lamp housing, with 2 wires for each signal going back to the frame room where there was a mahogany framed cabinet with rows of telephone switchboard style winking eyeball indicators which closed if the lamp cooled down. The eyeball closing sounded a bell upstairs and the lampman, or at night the poor signal man had to trudge down to the signal with a spare lamp.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:24 pm

That all sounds very high tech, My signal is operated by a wire that has one end going under the box and then down through the board, and its a Hornby one which doesn't use lights (shame really, maybe one day I can afford to get a dapol operating signal fitted, now that would be awesome). I don't model any particular period, but I think any signal man would be pretty annoyed at a light that bright just above his head, its no wonder my signal man looks so tan!

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:24 pm

Some more pictures to bring this thread almost up to date (will get some fresher pics tomorrow):

Gluing the roof brackets for the lights on the white cottage's roof and the inside of the cottage painted grey to avoid light escaping like a flood on a plain.

Roof supports glued the lights are attached and then I used tape (because I want a better shed in future) to channel the wires down the wall of the shed to where the wire will run into a hole in the ground.

Here's a few pics of my 37 and 47 in the shed with the new lights fitted (will get a decent shot or two of the new trackplan in tomorrows update pics btw)

By using left over sweet wrappers from quality street's that I cunningly put aside for this cunning plan, I cunningly celotaped different colours to the inside of the cottages to make the window give off a different glow, warm orange for out the front, and a cooler more night time pinkish glow for the rear of the properties.

With flash on and their lights on

Flash off, lights in houses on, front sides

Flash off, lights in houses on, rear sides

Let me know what you all think please, asI'm not a very experienced modeller and ofc being kinda poor most of the time I am trying to both cheap and efficient at what I am doing :)

Thanks again Folks!

Alex

MrH

Postby MrH » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:56 pm

I like the sweet wrapper filtering. Did Henry eat all the sweets?
My layouts

Trucks in a Tizzy - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48086

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:00 pm

MrH wrote:I like the sweet wrapper filtering. Did Henry eat all the sweets?

Yes, he was so fat he wouldn't fit back in his box to send him back where he came from until recently :P

Blue_2

Postby Blue_2 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:16 pm

You have been busy! Nice work on getting your buildings illuminated. Budget method done well!
Weekend toy, Victor XL231's blog- http://victorxl231.blogspot.com/ Admittedly not a train, but classic, British and LOUD!
My OO work in progress: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36766

buz

Postby buz » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:39 am

Hi Alexander
Those Hornby cottages are not the best thing Hornby ever manufactured.
I have a couple of them my self.
They certainly need some work on them to be useful.
My solution to that problem was a bit more costly than yours.
I have fitted Peco window frames with plastic chocolate box glazing to mine and Dornaplas (spelling) front doors over the Hornby front doors. this has improved the appearance quite a bit.
I still have to add curtains to the windows yet.
I am trying to get a more three dimensional look to them.
The hight was raised to match the door steps on the doors packing painted to match the block work on the cottages
I also used the hole over one of the doors to fit an "N" scale bracket gas lamp which looks quite good as a domestic sized lamp.
I have also stuck a wall mount hanging basket to one of the cottage frontages.
Waiting to be fitted if they fit is a pair of Wills porches.
A useful note here if you can save the plastic clipy things off the bread and can cope with fiddly stuff, two of those clipy things could be cut up
to make porches with masking tape to represent roofing felt.
I have at this point no idea what to do to the roof on mine as that IMHO needs the most attention.
The big thing you will need to do with your cottages, as will I with mine.
Is to glue it down to a 2mm plastic card plot of land and really do a job on the gardens from the council foot path
to the front doors and the same with the back to the back fence.
The gardens etc have to be good enough to distract you from the fact the walls are flat.
Another thought for the walls would be to cover them with fine sand paper painted white for the lime washed look I have not tried this idea yet.
Just a few thoughts to consider.
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:32 pm

Haven't posted lately due to various things, currently working on non-railway stuff being the main reason, BUT I do hope to have some paper maché done by the end of the week on the station area, before laying down some brick papers on the platform sides and some platform edges, all done with what I could source on my travels to Kerry and back and will almost certainly look pretty rubbish because I haven't really done any of this before, but I look forward to seeing the results all the same. I have the cottages test wired in place and they work, so I can remove them before paper mache and stuff. Need to drill holes for the factory and boiler house lights and holes in beams to tidy the wire processions and stuff.

~Need:
1. white paint to make grey
2. grass scatters
3. trees
4. a station building
5. hedges
6. and more boards :P

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:01 pm

Here are some pictures of the Paper Maché work I did on my layout, using pages from Ed Valences 'A Radical History of Britain' as I was throwing it out anyways, its just about dry now, more work to do tomorrow hopefully :)

Alex

hornbyandbf3fan

Postby hornbyandbf3fan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:10 pm

Looks good, a great way to use a no longer needed book
15 and a railway fan, something very rare now
My youtubehttp://www.youtube.com/user/hornbyandbf3fan?feature=mhee

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:13 pm

Thanks, I wanted to see if I could get something smoother than lots of ends of newspapers and it saved me a lot of tearing up paper just to cut the pages out of the book with the knife, I have plenty of the book left for extending the layout if I need them, and a box full of newspapers the library gave me spare about a year ago when I built the last layout :)

Alex

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”