Chinley, Modern Image N Gauge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
ASFC

Chinley, Modern Image N Gauge

Postby ASFC » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:40 pm

Hello all!

Well, it is time to start again! As previously discussed in my old layout thread (link at bottom of post) Ollerton met its fate at the hand of track issues at board joints.

So, for my new layout, a few things had to be met.

1. Continuous run. I like to watch trains go by.
2. All on the same board. As my layout is mobile, the larger they get the more boards I need. I needed to avoid board joints this time as they were my downfall last time.
3. Use Code 80 streamline. It is what I have in stock, bought and paid for. Will use code 55 next time!
4. Motorised points and colour lights. Tried both out on previous layout and I am now a convert.
5. Try out new materials and skills. One day I want that big layout round a room with nice finescale track, rather than a succession of smaller layouts. I can live in hope!

So with that in mind I came up with this (excuse the red bits they are an aproximation of later 'real' edits to the design!):

I decided to call it Chinley, I have moved my modelling wonderings further west to the middle of the peaks, hence the name picked from Google Earth. I discovered from my rail atlas that it does indeed in real life have a station with an island platfom, but I am no aiming to replicate what really exists. I don't have the room for a prototype.

So anyway, the back story is that the station is on a combination of ex-GCR/MR lines in the Peaks/Pennines areas. The normal closures happened in the sixities and seventies, which left the truncated lines to Buxton. However, I am working on the idea that for some obscure reason services from West Midlands and East Midlands still make it up to the area. Therefore, in my later period, I have a premise that London Midland have a through service from Wolverhampton/Birmingham to Chinley occurs with LM and from Nottingham with EMT. Must get my self a Northen Unit at some point! :oops:

Anyway, here are some pictures to show progress to date. Went for a liberal interpretation of the term 'open frame' baseboards. I was inspired by Layouts such as Frankland, Rayne St and Gresby where the rails stay at the same height most of the time but the landscape varies. Fed up with my flat baseboards. All of the track is down and painted, the station is under construction and the colour lights and point motors are in. This includes an excellent handbuilt (by CR Signals) cantilever Signal post at the end of 'London' end of Platform 1 and 2 (did I mention I have a GC HST! :mrgreen: ).

Thanks for looking!

Mat. :)
My New N gauge layout thread 'Chinley': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=41038

My Old N gauge layout thread 'Ollerton': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32899

StevieDay

Re: Chinley, Modern Image N Gauge

Postby StevieDay » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:06 pm

Hi Mat,
I like the plan & your track looks to be laid well. Its good to see you've gone for an open frame. It'll give you much more scope & variety in scenic design.

I look forward to see how your layout progresses.
Regards,
Steve

My Layout;- Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout viewtopic.php?t=30856

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:35 pm

Nice track plan. I can appreciate your reasons for following the open frame route.

All the best for this build. :)

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:18 pm

Looking good and sturdy Mat, glad to see you're back up and running with a new layout.

What's the plan scenically (eg. rural / mountainous / suburban / village / a mix of various?)

ASFC

Postby ASFC » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:50 pm

StevieDay wrote:Hi Mat,
I like the plan & your track looks to be laid well. Its good to see you've gone for an open frame. It'll give you much more scope & variety in scenic design.

I look forward to see how your layout progresses.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to what the open frame method will allow.

JohnN wrote:Nice track plan. I can appreciate your reasons for following the open frame route.

All the best for this build. :)

Thanks!

SouthernBoy wrote:Looking good and sturdy Mat, glad to see you're back up and running with a new layout.

What's the plan scenically (eg. rural / mountainous / suburban / village / a mix of various?)

Hi SouthernBoy. Scenically there is going to be the station round the front, a tunnel to the right hand side (as you look at the track plan), with a small village/town close to the station and countryside at the back. There will be a couple of bridges scattered around to break things up, and I will probably have a go at some rock face given the part of the country I have supposedly set it in!

Thats all for now, hopefully be an update in a few days!

Mat. :wink:

1977joey

Postby 1977joey » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:31 pm

I'm likeing this already Matt :) . Love the sweeping curves you have & also those signal gantries! Where did you get those if you don't mind me asking? I'd like to replace my handmade one's at some point as they do look a little chunky on my layout :|

Looking forward to seeing this develope,

All the best,
Mark
My Layout Shrewford viewtopic.php?f=22&t=55270

Cheers,
Mark

ASFC

Postby ASFC » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:25 pm

Hi Mark, thanks!

The Signal Gantries, the fancy one is from CR Signals, and the normal ones are from Eckon-Berko, bought in a sale a couple of years ago.

Has to be said the CR Signals one is a masterpiece!

1977joey

Postby 1977joey » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:12 pm

ASFC wrote:Hi Mark, thanks!

The Signal Gantries, the fancy one is from CR Signals, and the normal ones are from Eckon-Berko, bought in a sale a couple of years ago.

Has to be said the CR Signals one is a masterpiece!

Thanks for the info Mat :), i'll look at getting a couple in the near future to replace my home made one's

All the best,
Mark
My Layout Shrewford viewtopic.php?f=22&t=55270

Cheers,
Mark

ASFC

Postby ASFC » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:37 am

Hi all!

I said I would update in a couple of days earlier in the thread. Ooops :lol: such is life!

There will be a more full update later, but for now I will leave you with a video and some pictures, previewing progress on the station. Unfortunately photos are quite cruel.

The Dutch 31 has had a hard life, it came to me in bits, it is a miracle it works at all!

Video:

http://youtu.be/GdKWVqFFW90

Mat :wink:

ASFC

Postby ASFC » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:25 pm

Update time!

Well a few days has almost turned into a week! :oops:

A few changes have been made to the layout, I was really having trouble with the outer of the three lines through the station, as it came back round to join the Outer oval. With a slight change in alignment, that has now been fixed!

I have also been concentrating on scratchbuilding a rail over road bridge for the back of the layout, which needs to be done before any other roads and or landscaping can be done. It is built from Plasticard and (normal and embossed) and is loosely based on a picture of a similar bridge found in February's edition of the Railway Magazine on p.29. The final photo in the set shows the bridge at its current stage, waiting for capping stones and painting.

I was going to say that Zunnan might be impressed :wink: , but I blow any Kudos by using peco products elsewhere!

And finally a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpIWVBVdlag

Thanks

Mat. :wink:

ASFC

Postby ASFC » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:57 pm

Ooops. Haven't updated this in six months. :shock: Been busy couple of weeks see below.

Over the bank holiday weekend I have been finishing the Civil Engineering of around the layout so I can begin with the scatter etc at a later date. This involved finishing the road bridge over the throat of the station, see pictures below. It is cardboard and plasticard carcass with Slaters brick and Peco sides. I should of taken a photo of the underside of the deck because the girders are there as well, but nevermind...

(I would post the photos but photobucket is being a pain in the :o

Also I had a little operating session to celebrate the fact the layout no longer looks like a collection of wood, but a railway built through the arctic!! I hope you enjoy the video below which gives an overview of the layout and the sort of stock I like to run on it. You will notice that the rail over road bridge has ever such a slight (it looks more than it is) incline either side of it (this is deliberate), which gives a nice effect when Locos reach the 'summit' and start racing down to the tunnel at the end.

http://youtu.be/wnNu6wJ9P00

Mat.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”