TerryB's new layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Lofty

Postby Lofty » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:38 pm

A Diesel fan myself, but got to admit, you have a cracking layout there Terry 8)

Lofty

Class 60

Postby Class 60 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:53 pm

Great pics and a brilliant layout Terry :D

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:18 pm

hi
great to see some more pics, good stuff
michael

Craig

Postby Craig » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:20 pm

Looks very nice and there's a lot to see - especially like the grave diggers in the first 'batch' of pictures :!:

Have you got a trackplan of your layout? :P

Craig

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:01 pm

Great to see more of it mate

Lovely fun to be had on that masterpeice :wink:

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

TerryB
Location: Loftbrough Central [aka ....a spider infested loft in Rotherham]

Postby TerryB » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:21 pm

Hi all ......thanks for the nice comments .......cheers for posting 'em Chris.

Hi Ron .....the layout consists of four "00" guage tailchasers [inc the Live Steamer .....I just run a or'nery "00" DC loco if I cant be bothered to "oil it,boil it and clean it" when I've finished, two 3rail tailchasers and the goods yard .......which is basically a shunting plank connected to one of the loops but controlled separately.This gives me a maximum total of seven engines running ......although the live steam needs constant attention to get the best from it,and it gets a bit hectic working out little "shunting puzzles" in the goods yard with six "tailchasers" whizzing 'round.Future plans are to have a "N" gauge narrow gauge raiway serving the goods yard .....just to go completely OTT and run four* different systems just for the fun of it
* Four? ...."00",Live Steam,3rail & "N" gauge.

Hi Roadstone ....I was lucky? :roll: when I took those first pics,it was a cold day and the with loft being cold it makes the steam more in evidence.

Hi Lofty ........I'm thinking I ought to invest in a Dees-oil :wink: ....I think a BR green Deltic would fit in nicely with the period.

Hi Craig ..........I'm afraid a track plan is a bit beyond my rather limited 'pooter skills .........and there never was a trackplan to start with .......it just sorta "growed" like that :roll: .......its basically just four "00" loops,plus two 3rail loops and the goods yard ..........which was originally meant as a "passing loop/siding" and got extended with three off-shoot straights [I had to power it separately eventually as it was any-ones guess what was gonna happen when various points were operated] ...........the shed area is'nt powered as I dunno what the effects of putting 12v DC into my Live Steamer would be :shock: .......best left alone methinks.

Terry

Edit .....I'll "try" drawing a track plan and photographing it for the next batch of pics ......but they wont be for a while .....'cos the 3rail system,although it dont show from where I took the pics,is not much more than bare boards and track ............my next project is to get the 3rail looking half decent ..........I'll also include some pics of the control system ......which consists of a mixture of 45year old Hornby items[inc transformers] .....the LiveSteam controls and some new-ish hornby controllers
Last edited by TerryB on Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know it's the fastest .....but why did they have to name it after a duck?

westbrom

Postby westbrom » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:33 pm

Great pics and layout Terry.

Neil

Craig

Postby Craig » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:57 pm

Terry! Don't go to great lengths to show us a trackplan - I was merely interested but really, it's fine.

Keep up the good work 'cos it's looking great :D

Craig

Raider

Postby Raider » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:12 pm

Well, here are some more photos that Terry has sent me of his layout.

First off, the 3 rail section

Not live steam, but these locos have a smoke unit fitted

A selection of photos of different parts of the layout

live-frog

Postby live-frog » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:31 pm

You're making me rue the day I went diesel Terry !
That's a superb collection of steam locos on a good operational layout

Ron

TerryB

Postby TerryB » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:35 am

live-frog wrote:You're making me rue the day I went diesel ....
Ron

Hi Ron .......I was thinking of adding a couple of "Green era" deisoils next ......maybe a 40/45 and a green Deltic.
Terry

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:22 am

Lovely to see more of the layout Terry. I just love that you run 3-rail. Reminds me of my old next door neighbour, Eddie. He was always happy for me to use his locos- most notably No7 'Nigel Gresley' and 'N2' on his modest little set up. I loved that NG was in garter blue...and that, of course, at the time he bought it, it was the 'current' livery (or not long gone anyway!)

Lets face it, 'Number 7' is worth a fortune now and I was amazed even at the time that he let me use it just like any old 00 train. But then, I was a very careful 5 year old (well, with trains anyway)

I hate that collectors often don't run their 'precious' 3-rail stuff. I'm in the James May catagory: if it was meant to sit still, it wouldn't have a motor in it. If you want a static model, get one. Don't just get something many would love to have just to display it like dinosaur bones!!

Cheers Terry

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

oswestry station

Postby oswestry station » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:31 am

Loving that pic, how did you take that ? run along side it ?

Lover of all things GWR, LMS and most things pre 1965!

Visit my website on the restoration of the (real!) Cambrian railway - http://www.osrail.co.uk -

thebuisnessman

Postby thebuisnessman » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:35 am

I'd like to know how its done too, very nice!

A really good layout too!

TerryB

Postby TerryB » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:36 pm

oswestry station wrote:

Loving that pic, how did you take that ? run along side it ?

Hi OS & Owen ........

I just sorta like "followed" it with the viewfider whilst knelt down beside the track.
I noticed that as I was taking some of the other pics here, unless I used the flash some of them with moving trains in 'em were blurred,so I speeded the 4472 up and followed it without the flash,I tried the same with my LS Mallard but they were just too blurry to make out what it was.It took me about a dozen shots to get just the one of 4472 which I was happy with..... [thank heavens for cheap digital photogrphy]
Just for the record,the camera is a "Fujifilm Finepix S3000" ....it was set on "macro" and the lighting in my loft is 2 x 100w bulbs.
HTH
Terry

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”