Grayholme - BrotherWolf's layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
BrotherWolf

Grayholme - BrotherWolf's layout

Postby BrotherWolf » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:34 pm

Grayholme
I should have posted this a month back but I wanted to have something to show.

The Plan
I'm not great with XtrkCad, but this gives a good idea of what the track plan will be. The biggest difference being that the station platforms won't be so thin!

Aim:
Build a layout to play with in the loft.

Era:
My problem is there isn't really an era I don't like. The only one that really springs to mind is BR Blue, and even then it's only the small logo period. As a result the layout will feature loco's from any time from the Big 4 steam era to the present day. That said, trains will be prototypical. You won't see a Class 66 pulling LMS carriages or a Duchess pulling seacows.

Rather than say where it is, it's easier to say where it isn't. ie it isn't in Southern England, Scotland or Wales. Neither is it in the South West or Eastern England. The fixtures and fittings will be mostly LMS and its more than likely I'll decide where it "fictionally" is after it's finished.

Rolling Stock:
As hinted at under era, I'll be running lots of different stuff from steam to diesels. At the start though the chances are it will be more Diesel than Steam. However the advantage of steam is that there was a lot more diversity in the freight area. These days it's only bulk freight on the rails whereas in the past you had Goods, Coal and Livestock. This gives me an excuse for a Goods Shed, Coal Yard and Cattle Dock by the Station. Also I really want a turntable :-) .

Perhaps I should point out that steam wise rolling stock will be mostly LMS/BR. There won't be any LNER stuff at all. Though I may get an A4 one day just so that a Duchess can scream past it !!

The Layout:
Size 14ft x 8ft. Two loops with a 4 platform station on one side and a fiddle yard on the other. By the station will be a goods area and an engine shed.

Scenery:
Unfortunately the size of the station will restrict the amount of scenery. Any hills will be plaster cloth on chicken wire. Buildings will be Card initially though these will hopefully be replaced with scratchbuilt items once the layout is up and running.

So far:
At the moment progress is slow. God know's when it will be "nearly" finished. Here are some pics to be going on with. I'm hoping to have the two loops done by christmas and then onto the sidings in the new year.

General View of the Down Line through what will be the station area. I was thinking of keeping this bit straight to help with the platforms. However once the flexi track was on the board.....a little bit of curve and I thought, what the hell.

Heljan Class 47 "Abertawe Landore" in FGW livery. Bargain £45 from hattons. Great looking loco but another nail in the coffin of having the layout based in one particular region.

westbrom

Postby westbrom » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:43 pm

Very nice looking plan Brotherwolf. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Neil

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:12 pm

Interesting initial information post, nicely broken down into bite size chunks

Cracking couple of photos too

Lofty

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:18 pm

Jeeeeezzzus! The quality of the new layouts on here is just getting ridiculously high!! I have only been on here 2 months and already have been left in the shade...

Great plan, great start, well done, look forward to seeing things progress. Keep the photo's coming please.....

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:58 pm

BrotherWolf, your time has come! :wink:

Good stuff mate. Know what you mean about platforms. Sadly, mine will be quite rank and file as I need to keep the width of the trackbed to an absolute minimum, hence I've tried to make the station throats a bit more interesting.

Looks good so far, be good to see your progress

Cheers,

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

live-frog

Re: Grayholme - BrotherWolf's layout

Postby live-frog » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:39 pm

Good plan there Wolf , Nice size to play with .

Not wanting to create an East/West divide :evil: but being from LMS land , I'm right with you here !!!! --->>>
BrotherWolf wrote:There won't be any LNER stuff at all. Though I may get an A4 one day just so that a Duchess can scream past it !!

Good luck and looking forward to the updates !
Cheers
Ron

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:47 pm

Looking good, Brotherwolf :^)
Regards
Rob

Dinmore Manor

Postby Dinmore Manor » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:38 pm

Superb looking plan! and to have space like that......... Jealousy is a real bitch!!!!! I miss my old loft layout :( :D Look forward to seeing more progress piccies!

chrisalddin

Postby chrisalddin » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:43 pm

hmmm looks good =)

ClikC

Postby ClikC » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:46 pm

Awesome looking station, any chance of a full sized layout plan?

Regards

Matt
ImageImageImage

brush man

Postby brush man » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:48 pm

Great start brotherwolf, looking forward to watching your progress

Mark

retroman

Postby retroman » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:04 am

BRING IT ON ... GOOD WORK
1980s 50 and 37 basher. English Electric Roadie ....... Steam sniffers, move along please.

My Layout: MARSHFIELD WITH ELY BRIDGE
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14241

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:24 am

Excellent start.

Andrew
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):

Class 60

Postby Class 60 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:06 pm

Looks Great so far mate, look forward to seeing the progress 8)

BrotherWolf

Postby BrotherWolf » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:02 pm

Well the first loop has been completed through the fiddle yard which has allowed me to run in my new Heljan 47. Unfortunately this brought a halt to layout building as I watched the train go round.

Why is it such a pleasure to see a train go round in a circle?

Here is a diagram of the fiddle yard I did last night whilst the missus watched X Factor/I'm a celebrity......

Key
Red = Through Roads
Green = Storage for 7 coach MK1 Loco hauled trains/Longer Goods traffic
Yellow = Smaller Passenger trains/Local Goods
Blue = Engine Storage

There has been a bit of a debate as to whether you should have a fiddle yard or more scenery. For me it's simply a place to store trains. If it was another station for example where would I keep the excess stock.

Whilst buying some insulating joiners picked up 3 of these ICI tankers. At £5.70 it seemed too much of a bargain.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”