Askham Railway 00 Gauge Shelf Layout -New cricket pavillion!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Notroh

Re: Vale of Askham - OO Gauge

Postby Notroh » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:16 pm

I have looked at this a couple of times and thought, god you would have to be tall to enjoy it, but now I am starting to 'get it'

Not sure my wife would allow trains in the living room - the back bedroom seems to cause her enough problems!

A really different project - I have seen it in a couple of pubs before, but never in a house. Great work.

Peter
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

YorkRail

Postby YorkRail » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:34 pm

Thanks Peter - fortunately I am tall, although not 7+ feet tall!

The key approach for me is placing on my layout tall objects which stand out. Things like tunnels, buildings etc can then be seen when you are looking up from the floor, whereas fancy ballasting and rusted track can't be seen. If you stand on the staircase you can see about 20% of the track so all the tiny details are only really necessary for that area.

YorkRail

Postby YorkRail » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:35 am

As promised, a few pictures.

I have added a small tunnel, just to break it up a little, still needs lots adding to it and needs painting inside. End2End suggested me removing the 'pointless' siding and putting a loading platform there instead. I have done so by removing the base from the Bachmann crane and cutting it into 3 long sections, glueing them back together and them putting the crane back on top. I've also built a small area for the signal box. None of this is finished yet, it's just the basics for now...

1.JPG
1.JPG (103.02 KiB) Viewed 1491 times

2.JPG
2.JPG (111.79 KiB) Viewed 1491 times

3.JPG
3.JPG (100.4 KiB) Viewed 1491 times

4.JPG
4.JPG (74.99 KiB) Viewed 1491 times

5.JPG
5.JPG (95.57 KiB) Viewed 1491 times

YorkRail

Postby YorkRail » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:42 am

This is the first corner...I'm still impressed with the hops but it *can* be much better. I'm going to cut a new, bigger piece of wood and start again, enabling me to put in a loop round the back and a small siding (see trackplan from earlier)

6.JPG
6.JPG (97.32 KiB) Viewed 1489 times

This is the last corner (until I work on the extension), as you can see the tunnel is almost three times as big as the old one, and I've made the siding into two long straights rather than the three cramped short straights which were there before. I am going to do a bit of kit bashing and make an engine shed to fit in this siding. On top of the yet to be finished tunnel I am going to put some castle ruins....when funds allow anyway!

OLD TUNNEL:
12.JPG
12.JPG (98.32 KiB) Viewed 1489 times

NEW TUNNEL:
8.JPG
8.JPG (72.26 KiB) Viewed 1489 times

whynot

Postby whynot » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:53 am

Careful! "I'm going to cut a new, bigger piece of wood and start again, enabling me to put in a loop round the back and a small siding (see trackplan from earlier)" - it'll soon meet in the middle and you'll have to cut holes in the ceiling to view!

So very innovative.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

YorkRail

Postby YorkRail » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:31 am

Now there's an idea! Hah

That corner section probably won't look that much different, the line will still run round the front of the Hop farm but having a hidden loop at the back lets me store another train there.

Roberto

Postby Roberto » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:11 pm

Your layout is what backscenes and low-relief buildings were made for, Yorky! I live in an old terraced house and looking up at what I would call my picture rail , as opposed to dido rail, I can see that a narrow layout would be totally visible. :) (I have my layout in the loft.)
However, I would be concerned about derailment and the subsequent plummet to the ground, but it looks like you have a retaining wall around your layout. Where do you have your transformer/ controller?

YorkRail

Postby YorkRail » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:20 pm

Hi Roberto, my Dad calls the dado rail something else but we won't go there!! :lol:

My controller is plugged in underneath the first station (next to the small tunnel), it has a long lead so I can walk a few feet. I had one disaster early on when my brand new Mallard fell to the ground, there were parts everywhere. Cost a fair amount to get it fixed again.

Yes, I now have a mix of walls/fences/grass banks to prevent that happening again. The only part where it can come off is near the first station (but I'm stood there anyway). It could fall off near the falt but at the moment I very slowly back the train up to there anyway....once the extension goes in I'll put some fencing there I think.

But yes I'd say go for it and get building!

Roberto

Postby Roberto » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:54 pm

I normally call it what your dad calls it. Maybe its were they used to hang them .(Those things that cannot be mentioned!!! :oops: )
I will not be building in my living room, I have sufficient layout space in my loft. (it can be found in Personal Layouts-Under Construction : RLR Robs Loft Railway)

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:10 pm

Dado rail is usually at waist height to protect wall from chairs
Picture rail is just below ceiling as a rail to hang pictures on and split the room between ceiling and wallpaper (makes room feel less tall)
Low ceiling cottages expanded the idea and made it into a shelf for plates or toby mugs.
Most commonly seen in mansions and large toy stores as a show piece for O gauge or LGB, but not commonly seen in OO as to small to see from the ground.
I have had a hankering for this technique in my dining room for years, but the chimney breast and windows present too much difficulty
For visitor closer inspection, hand a stick with a large mirror on at 45 degrees for them to get a high up view (back to wall, look up)
A long (suspension) bridge will help traverse windows
Don't be scared to "cut" the corner with a curve that doesn't fill it
Breach chimney breast either side by not going into it and suspending span with nylon wire from roof or just bust you're way through it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0XlHo8bLqs&feature=related) [who said OO was too small?]
Or if you're completely nuts, convert the room lights into a railroad!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U66pqWZzxjA
Whatever floats your boat (or you have space for!)

I was little dubious at beginning of thread, but as its developed, it looks pretty good to me!
Carry on mate!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

YorkRail

Postby YorkRail » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:50 am

Thanks Timbersurf for your comments - not too sure what you mean by "Don't be scared to "cut" the corner with a curve that doesn't fill it"...do you mean a curve on it's own so the layout looks like it is floating through the air, rather than a big corner section?

Unfortunately having cut some wood for the extension, I can now see it's just not possible to extend to that third corner. There isn't enough picture/dado rail for the wood planks to rest on, the plank bends in the middle and that's before I even nail the track down and run a train over it! Having it suspended via nylon wire from the beams is a possibility but as soon as it gets to that third corner I get the feeling it will all tip over. I don't know, I just have a hunch/bad feeling about it!

The only other way would be to drill some supports into the wall or even better have someone come in and build a new picture rail along the big gap. However as I rent and don't own the property (for now) that's out of the question.

Instead of sulking over what I can't do, I have been focusing on what I can do with the layout. Think positive!

-it's still going to be a 2 station + 1 halt layout
-The small tunnel next to the brewery is being extended to break that section up a bit more
-I'm adding a pub to the brewery

I Hope to have some photos up early next week....

YorkRail

Re: Layout - no name for now!

Postby YorkRail » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:17 pm

Made quite a bit of progress since my last update.....

The brewery area has had a chimney and crane added. I've also tried the 'tracks in concrete' idea, not too bad for my first attempt. I've extended the tunnel between the brewery and first station and put in some more realistic tunnel walls. The station platform itself has been extended slightly to accomodate the small signal box and can now handle a two coach train.

I've also decided to 'cheat' a bit, in the last picture you can see I have put in a small siding in front of the station - this isn't actually connected to the main track, but no one will be able to tell when they are looking up at it.

P1150752.jpg
P1150752.jpg (37.28 KiB) Viewed 1157 times

P1150756.jpg
P1150756.jpg (35.09 KiB) Viewed 1157 times

P1150758.jpg
P1150758.jpg (34.49 KiB) Viewed 1157 times

P1150759.jpg
P1150759.jpg (30.14 KiB) Viewed 1157 times

P1150761.jpg
P1150761.jpg (53.12 KiB) Viewed 1157 times

YorkRail

Postby YorkRail » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:22 pm

Onto the first corner...I've put a loop round the back of the hop farm so trains can go round the front or the back. There is also a second 'cheat' siding here, not connected to the main track. Next to the Hop farm, on the long straight, I've added a nice little one coach halt with a level crossing/hut next to it. I think it looks quite good so far:

P1150764.jpg
P1150764.jpg (21.86 KiB) Viewed 1154 times

P1150767.jpg
P1150767.jpg (36.12 KiB) Viewed 1154 times

P1150770.jpg
P1150770.jpg (32.26 KiB) Viewed 1154 times

P1150771.jpg
P1150771.jpg (22.88 KiB) Viewed 1154 times

YorkRail

Postby YorkRail » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:27 pm

The long straight section is probably my favourite part of the layout. I've tried not to change it too much, retained most of the dry stone walls. As it approaches the second corner, I've added the third and final 'cheat' siding - again I don't have the space to put a real set of points in...not sure if anyone else has tried this approach?

I've always liked how all the rolling stock on heritage railways seems to be crammed in, so I've tried to replicate it here. There is enough room here for a spare coach and a large wagon with a sheeted loan on top, at the moment it passes for a crane (I think!).

P1150773.jpg
P1150773.jpg (27 KiB) Viewed 1153 times

P1150777.jpg
P1150777.jpg (34.92 KiB) Viewed 1153 times

P1150785.jpg
P1150785.jpg (36.96 KiB) Viewed 1153 times

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:29 pm

I really like the tarpaulin over the crane - what material have you used? It scales down well, unlike so many materials that are used to represent fabrics.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”