Brecks Road - new name for Upsand Downs

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
beejack

Brecks Road - new name for Upsand Downs

Postby beejack » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:42 pm

So finally I have got around to creating a thread for my new layout.
My old layout Chesterford Street is no more. Upsand downs has been born.
Work commenced back in October 2012 on designing a new layout and after many alterations I finally had a plan I was happy with.
The old layout was stripped off the baseboards and a few alterations were made including the lifting section which is now fixed in place and is now another 6 inches deeper meaning that across the length all boards on both sides are 30 inches deep and across the width they are all 24 inches deep at each end.
I have also increased the size of the triangular board in one corner to accommodate the depot.
The whole board still measures 8 foot by 9 foot six inches and I have an operating well of 3 foot by 5 foot six inches minus an 18inch triangle in one corner.
I am not yet completely decided but my intention is to go fully digital with this layout, final decision will be taken when the wiring commences.

So on to the build….
I started at the beginning of November, whipped all the boards apart and built the main upper level which would house the station. The back scene boards were then refitted taking into account the raised sections. Next I started construction of the inclines both of which are less that 3% but only just.
Track work started mid-November and I completed the small 4 road fiddle yard on the lower level and the station area by the end of the month with the rest of the two figure of eight loops completed by mid-December.
Not much work was carried out in the two week leading up to Christmas, but during the break I completed laying the last of the points, all of which have had a slot cut in the baseboard to accept a seep point motor in the future. Just need to lay the track in the sidings now!
The upper boards containing the station and stabling points have been made to hinge so as to give access to the fiddle yard below for track cleaning, derailments etc. To enable this to happen the tracks will need to be cut at the joints, but I will leave this until the wiring commences otherwise trains will have to stop running due to a power cut in the station complex!
Although the layout has been designed to be able to split the baseboards apart if necessary, I don't intend to cut the track across the baseboard joints until I I am forced. I have one point which I had no choice but to straddle a baseboard joint but this couldn't be helped and is in the stabling point below the station so won't be too much of an issue if i need to dismantle.

The loco fleet....
I have just taken possession of my second DCC on board loco (the first being the Pendolino), a Bachmann class 105 in blue livery which came via Santa. Very nice in deed and takes me back to my childhood as these were one of my favorites. I always liked DMU’s – probably more that the locos.

So far I have chipped a further 8 loco's meaning I have a digital fleet of 10. Unfortunately including my sons fleet of Thomas loco's I need another 53 chips at least. ( this may be a factor in when I go digital fully!)

Final revision of layout...

Hopefully I will be able to post some pictures and video shortly.
Last edited by beejack on Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ne0beatsm0rp98

Re: Upsand Downs

Postby ne0beatsm0rp98 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:06 pm

Hi layout plan looks great, what software did you use for the plan please?

beejack

Postby beejack » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:19 pm

Thanks for your comment.
The software used is Anyrail 5

ne0beatsm0rp98

Postby ne0beatsm0rp98 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:21 am

Thanks a lot

beejack

Postby beejack » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:20 pm

As promised here are a few photos.
Sorry about the quality of some, had the camera on a low resolution.

Depot area

Fueling point (originally was to be a stem depot)

West end exit from fiddle yard

Top of incline looking from eastern station approach

Inclines

Low level sidings

eastern station approach

Western Station approach (stabling points siding still to complete!)

beejack

Postby beejack » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:02 pm

Unfortunately disaster struck the other day whilst cutting the tracks to allow the upper station area to be hinged up.

Everything looked OK but when I tried to run a train it derailed and no matter what I did I couldn't solve the problem.

I used peco flexi track across the joints and I soldered copper sleepers either side of the cut and fixed them in place but due to the curve they didn't stay aligned for some reason.

I have decided to redesign the two areas using set track curves where possible as there should be little movement. To be honest I wasn't too happy with the approaches anyway so this give me a chance to improve things.

The good news is that whilst I am redesigning I can hinge the station area and at least start wiring it and fitting the point motors. I can also wire the 4 road fiddle yard and take a few photos of an area which will hopefully be seldom seen once finished.

kinning

Postby kinning » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:18 pm

Looks well keep it up

keith73

Postby keith73 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:41 pm

Hi, great start to your layout, I like the track design. Nice length for long trains & also like the incline area & TMD area. Looking forward to future updates & your scenic work
Keith

beejack

Postby beejack » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:51 pm

Thanks for your kind replies.

I have averted disaster! Shows what a difference a clear head makes!
I have removed the flexi track from across the joints, replaced it with set track and re-positioned the two curved pints on the eastern approach. This has also allowed me to replace the standard right hand point just after the curved point with an express point. It has made a huge difference to the look and running. just the other end to sort now thankfully this is only replacing track.

Talking about scenic details, this will probably be the first time I have ever got to the point where I am close to adding any scenery and this is definitely where I fall down.
I normally have few problems with track laying (as long as I'm not trying to do it with a migraine!) Wiring is easy being an electrician, but scenery, I dropped art at school as I was no good so we will have to see whether I have improved with age!

I'm looking at hiding the incline closest to the scenic backboards inside a tunnel and this would probably start where the tracks cross each other and finish as it curves around towards the station approach. This would mean that quite a bit of the track is hidden, but as long as I can ensure I have access in case of derailment it should make the whole thing a bit more realistic and avoid seeing one train going up an incline and another going down the other incline passing each other.

More photos and a video should hopefully follow once I have completed the other station approach.

beejack

Postby beejack » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:03 pm

spent sometime today completing the alterations and can now successfully run trains around the layout without derailing.
below are a couple of photos showing the original and altered station approach. The wires are temporary and allowed me to run the trains into the station area as without these the area would be totally isolated from the rest of the layout.

Original approach

Altered approach

I will be starting shortly on wiring the station and fiddle yard areas plus installing and wiring the point motors fro these areas.

I believe I will stick for the time being with DC - Too many chips required to go fully DCC from the start.

All wiring will be installed with DCC in mind so to this end every piece of track no matter how small will have dropper wires attached. At the moment all the droppers for each section will be connected together and in turn either supplied via the point blades or by switches on the control panel.

All points motors will be controlled via a CDU and a stud and probe system- DCC will be on the cards at a later date.

beejack

Postby beejack » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:03 pm

A small milestone today.
The stabling sidings at the western end of the Station have now been laid properly and fixed in place.
This completes all the track laying for now. I still have the coaling stage and the turntable to do but these are both future projects.

So on to the wiring.....

beejack

Postby beejack » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:03 pm

Just tilted the upper board to start wiring and thought it a good chance to show the small 4 road fiddle yard underneath!

This board is only 18" wide and you can see there is no cross bracing. It relies solely on its weight to keep it flat. There are numerous supports at the front and rear and it is also hinged at the back. I have had to do it this way to keep the height clearance.
I only hope the point motors won't foul the trains - only just thought of this!!!
Edit : Phew 4 points over track, fixed one in position and have just enough clearance!

Hopefully theses are rare shots!

beejack

Postby beejack » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:46 am

well not a lot done this week, been a little too cold to be in the garage, even though it is built into the house!

Payday yesterday and for the first time in a long while I can buy a few goodies .
I can't decide between a Hornby accessory decoder and a Peco turntable.
The 1st will make wiring the points in the station area a doddle, while the 2nd would help finish the track work ( have an airfix turntable but the Peco version would be much better!).
A pack of 5 Gaugemaster PBDCC26 decoders are also on the shopping list plus a few seep PM1 point motors.

If I go with the first option then going digital on the point control would mean either the whole layout going digital only or wiring a separate accessory bus for the time being. The second option may be best option, but there is a third option - buy another pack of decoders.

I have 2 hours to make up my mind as off to model railway direct shop shortly - before the money burns a hole in my virtual pocket!

It's always the same with me though can't make up my mind and end up going there and coming back with nothing! So this time a have got to make a decision before I go.

Any suggestions?

beejack

Postby beejack » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:31 am

I had a little shopping trip and got most of what I was after. As usual my conscience got the better of me and I came back with less than I went for, but there was a good reason.

I am only using a select at the moment and with only the 1 amp power supply I wouldn't have been able to have both the accessory decoder and connected and run any trains as the power drain recharging the unit would have stopped all the trains every time I changed a set of points so I did look at getting the 4 amp power supply but they were out of stock so I left it at that.

I could have come back with the turntable, but resisted.

A couple of things I did get were the Peco platform edging and ramps. I only got a couple of packs but this has enabled me to accurately work out how many more I actually need - in reality a lot more than I originally thought!

I also got six more seep point motors so I now have 14, only another 20 to get! but at least I have enough to enable the raised level to be completely wired. Again I am pretty sure I will go digital at some time in the future, so will wire them in a way that will allow accessory decoders to be easily fitted at a latter date.

I also got a pack of 5 Gaugemaster decoders the PBDCC26 version. I have fitted two of these to locos as I had already converted them to DCC ready by adding an eight pin socket from components bought from Maplins (need to buy some more as now run out!). These seem to work OK but they do have a few quirks.

One is fitted to a Lima class 117 dmu and is smooth the other if fitted to a Hornby class 91 and this is not quite as smooth at low speeds but also when power is first switched on the class 91 it thinks about it for a few seconds before responding to any commands. This happens even if the acceleration/deceleration is set at 0, in the other direction it's not as bad and after the initial start is usually OK

One thing I do that ensures I am happy with a layout is run things at full power. If It derails then I need to amend the track work. Both Locos don't like it if there is a short interruption in power and just come to a halt if on full power. The only way to get them to move again is to move the control knob to a lower setting - this doesn't always work but most times. At any other power setting there are no issues. This is something that never happens with Hornby or Bachmann chips.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

So with the temperature rising a few degrees I should be able to get back in the garage this week and make some progress on the wiring.

TK421

Postby TK421 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:19 pm

Hello mate layout is looking good, as to your question about gaugemaster chips I purchased a pack of these, many people swear by them but I had all sorts of problems with them similar to what you are describing, as I found out it wasn't the chips but the controller, I was using a Hornby select is that what you are using?
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”