N gauge GWR / SR

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
JohnN

N gauge GWR / SR

Postby JohnN » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:16 am

I thought it time I got a thread started here. :)

The original layout I was working on was 8ft by 3ft on two 4ft boards constructed from a 18mm x 45mm softwood frame topped with reused 6mm ply. This caused me a few issues, warping, instability, difficulty in joining and a lack of depth underneath for point motors and dropping the landscape for waterways and ponds etc. Plus space was an issue in our current property and even though we are selling, now the diy was completed, I had the modelling bug bad again.

After spending a month or two pondering my options yet seemingly just going around in circles, we came up with an idea. I knew I wanted to stick with the original 8 by 3 plan but would want to extend it if our new property allowed so thought why not reduce the layout to a 5ft length and then add another board when space allowed to complete the original plan the extension could be another 4 or 5ft board giving a total length of upto 10ft eventually.

As the original plan consisted of a town, station, industry and sidings area on the left 4ft board and a countryside, village, farm area on the right 4ft it would mean choosing just one half and allowing an extra foot for the return curve. I decided to go for the town board as this was more developed. I would build it in such a way that although it will, in its current form, be a self contained layout, I could easy modify the right hand end to extend the run back to the original design.

I should at this point explain that I do not get overly worried about being strictly prototypically accurate as long as it looks right to my eye. My preferred era is the steam of the 1930s to 1960s and populated with a mixtue of Great Western and Southern Railway with some BR stock. Oh and did I mention its N gauge.

Here are photos of the original boards to give an idea of the track plan. The left hand side will feature the town over the curves whilst the right hand countryside end was to have a hillside with tunneI over the outside loop.

The new 5ft by 3ft board was pre-cut from an 8 by 4ft sheet of 6mm WBP external ply with 4inch strips being used the make the frame. 1″ by 1/2″ battening was used to brace the frame and to give something to glue and nail to. This would also form the part of the frame the top could be screwed into. Front to back bracing was spaced at 12inch intervals. Once this was constucted using wood glue and nails & staples, the cross pieces had a 2in deep by 6mm wide slot cut into them from underneath. Then a lengthwise brace had similar slots cut and was slotted in down the centre of the frame. After drilling, counter sinking and screwing the top board to the frame, the whole structure was giving a good coat of quick drying satin varnish. Once thorough dry, I tested the rigidity of the structure by standing on it. This egg box method of construction, as well as being obviously very strong,  is also incredibly light weighing somewhere between half and two thirds the weight of one of my slightly smaller previous baseboards.

Ply, £20, 1" x 1/2" pine battoning, £3, varnish, £5 -Total cost £28.

Next job, track laying. :D

whynot

Re: N gauge GWR / SR

Postby whynot » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:26 pm

Very neat construction job!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:59 pm

Nice! My kind of layout and my kind of stock :D You have my attention sir...

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:45 am

Thanks guys. :)

I managed to get the two circuits laid and tested yesterday. There are a few niggles to sort out then its onto the bay platform and various siding. I'll post some pics up when there's something more interesting to show.

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:28 pm

Progress to date - both outer loops laid and tested and everything seems to be running ok. I'm using Gaugemaster's (Noch's) ballast underlay which is a doodle to use and makes running so much quieter. You're not meant to use it as it is for points but I've manage to get it looking, and more importantly working, okay but it does take some adjusting as due to the sleeper configuration, they don't sit in the precut sleeper grooves and if you are not careful you can end up with lumpy points. :?

Anyhow, bar some fettling to make good a few areas with traditional ballasting, I think I'm there or thereabouts. It will need some weathering methinks and I shall have to get the airbrush out and have a session to blend both it and the track in but I'm quite happy with it thus far.

I did have to move the crossover points from the station throat to the back of the board due to board size constraints but they will get moved back when I am able to get going on the right hand board sometime after the house move (whenever that turns out to be).

I also made a start on the sidings. I did have a last minute change of configuration here but as I ran out of underlay, I couldn't finish them so I'll have to wait before I can test this new arrangement. Basically, and going clockwise, as you pass into the sidings you have a bay platform on the left, then two goods sidings, the nearest one to the station with a goods shed, then a service siding which will house staithes, water tower etc, at the end of the siding line, a y point into a twin road loco shed, to the right of which is a private siding to the industry (a brewery and either a dairy or something similar) and finally on the right, back near the main track, a headshunt which will probably be lengthened a bit. I hope that makes sense. Any feedback on this arrangement is welcomed. (I realise it may not be prototypical but as long as its workable and looks good I'll be happy with it).

I'm hoping to get some more underlay at Kempton on Sunday (is anyone else from here going?) to enable me to finish this bout of tracklaying. Other upcoming jobs include getting the wood to create the backboard and frame for the raised town section, starting the enbankment along the back, making a LOT of trees :roll: and starting on creating the platforms. Plus I might even get some piccies of some locos sorted for you good people. :D

Thanks for reading - comments and constructive criticisms are welcomed.

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:25 am

Welcome to the boards John.

I like your plans. A nice mix of station, goods yard & industrial & scope to extend. It'll give you plenty of interest in train operation.

Are you using insulfrog or live frog points?
Regards,
Steve

My Layout;- Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout viewtopic.php?t=30856

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:09 pm

Hi Steve, thanks for the comment. :) I'm using insulfrog points. The layout is dc but by using the foam ballast underlay it will be relatively easy to adapt it to dcc if I ever decide to go that route.

I apologise for the poor quality photos. I was being lazy and using the camera on my tablet. Not the best quality. :?

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:32 pm

That looks like fun. A good test running is in order. Yes please on the pics of stock :) The head shunt really needs to be extended as long as possible. You should atleast be able to fit your largest tank loco and two wagons.

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:39 pm

THE CHIEF wrote:A good test running is in order.

Well far be it for me to disobey a lawful order. :D

Thanks for the feed back on the headshunt. I felt it was too short but wasn't sure what the recommended length should be based on.

And I promise I'll get the good camera out at the weekend and start getting some stock shots to post.

I'm dithering a bit at the moment. I bought Terrier Waddon last week just cos it looked good but I'm now starting to wonder how much running it'll actually get. As £60 is a bit too much for an ornament in my book I'm considering seeing if I can exhange it at the shop for a Q1. I don't know why I like this ugly duckling so much. Maybe because it has such a unigue look to it. :? Am I right in thinking they were used almost exclusively for heavy freight?

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:09 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uki5biJiDGI

Although intended for freight they were used on loco passenger workings aswell. Mostly three or four coach sets with a cct or van. Have a look at the SEMG website. There is info and pictures on all southern locos. I have a terrier myself and they are lovely locos. Both are very nice models. If I could have only one??? The terrier just because I can use it for passenger, local goods and shunting on your layout. The q1 is a personal favorite though.

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:36 pm

I've been thinking this over further for the last day or two and have decided to keep Waddon - it is a lovely little loco. I will buy a Q1 at some point though. Thanks for your response Chief. :) Anyhow, onto new things...

Today I went to a toy and model railway fair at Kempton Park race course. At £3.50 entry and lots of stalls it promised much but sadly failed to deliver (for an N gauger like me at any rate). Whilst its true there was a large selection in OO, there were only 3 stalls with anything in N and even then we were only talking not much bigger than a tea tray size selection. However, that doesn’t mean that I didn’t find something to spend my money on. I picked up 3 DVDs (Southern Lines, Great Western Lines and South West railway journeys) and 4 Peco wagons (2 SR cattle wagons, a GWR box van and SR brake van).

I did leave feeling a little frustrated so ending up popping into Addlestone models where I got another pack of Gaugemaster ballasted underlay so I can finish of the sidings on the new layout, some light loco lubricating oil, a pack of milk churns and some platform accessories in the form of a pack of mixed luggage and trolleys. A final stop at my local Hobby Craft to pick up some foam board rounding the day off nicely. So a day of buying bits and not getting any modelling done. Never mind, there’s always tomorrow.

I'll leave you a picture of Waddon and a promise that the next update will include some more on the layout. :D

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:36 pm

Very nice indeed. I do like a terrier :)

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:59 pm

Trackwork all down - station area begins

Armed with another roll of Gaugemaster’s ballasted underlay and a Dremmel, I managed to finish laying the last of the track section for this board – the sidings. I need to have a few more running sessions in here before I can say I am satisfied with the layout and finish. There are still a couple of areas where the running is not quite good enough but this will come with fettling and time. Here is a shot with the existing station,  platform and loco shed temporarily placed to give an overview of the layout.

So now to move onto some structures in and around the station. First on the list were the platforms. For some strange reason, I decided not to build them solely from the Metcalfe stone platform kits. As the picture below shows, I have use foamboard glued down with Rocket glue to build the base form & structure. This is a quick method and once completed is extremely rigid. The elevation of the rail due to the added depth of the underlay, meant I needed to aim for 14mm platform height.

The track and ballast was given a quick blast over with the airbrush using Railmatch’s Sleeper Grime. (I need to add some further loose ballast and weathering here).

The trackside platform faces are from a sheet of 2mm/4mm stone embossed plastic sheet painted with a mix of approximately 60% Flint and 40% light stone acrylics. This was then given a wash and some dry brushing before being cut into 14mm stripes and glued to the foamboard structure.

For the platform tops, I looked at various methods but finally settled for using the asphalt sheets in the Metcalfe platform kits. They look reasonable and after a bit more weathering should look ok (if you squint a bit). The station building I’m using here is one I’d built for my previous layout attempt. Its the Metcalfe country station which I modified by covering in their dressed stone paper.

Next, I turned my attention to the station building. The platform side was fitted with some spare flagstones and the bargeboards and canopy posts were painted GW cream. I was debating what finish to use for the front of the station and have now settled on paving the area. It’s raised up to the same height as the platform and therefore needs some steps down to road level. These had been planned in when I built the foamcard platform structure. Once I have decided on the fencing, walling and gate arrangement for this area, I can proceed.

The furthest end from the platform throat is going to butt up against the tunnel mouth leading under the town so the Peco bridge mouth was next to recieve the hairy brush treatment. I used a mixture of greys and stone colours, washes and dry brushing to get a mixed, grimyish feel. A touch of weathering should see this finished off nicely. Heres a before and after type shot.

Next I feel some kit building coming on but I’ll finsh up this post with a pic of SR 2579 pulling a rake of Western coaches.

Incidentally, can anyone shed any light on this loco. It was purchased from ebay as an 'n gauge loco'. :?

Thanks for reading.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:05 pm

Hi John and welcome! I must say that your layout is looking great! I do like your trackplan as it is similar to mine. Keep the great pics coming!

Jorge

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:44 pm

Hi mate. Thats a farish GP ( general purpose ) tank loco. They were made in lner apple green, lms crimson and black, southern green and br black. I have the same one but have DCC'd mine. They went with the generic coaches they used to make. Layout is looking good. The arrangement of the sidings reminds me of the old yard at dover priory.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”