Attic 00 Gauge 12'x11' [new pics and vid 53, 05/04/08]

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:43 pm

oh :(
anyway, done a bit more painting..
[no small webcam pics you'll see!]
cheers
michael

Raider

Postby Raider » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:44 pm

Looks a bit shiny - still can't figure out why they have a chimney in that outhouse tho.

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:07 pm

It will look lot better when weathered

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:50 pm

Hey Michael I have been away and have missed your updates, you've made fantastic progress mate, just loving it!

All the best,

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:32 pm

cheers all
i am currently sat in the attic having wirelessed up my old pc.
not only that but the trains are running and you can watch too...
get in while it lasts
webcam
enjoy
michael

Raider

Postby Raider » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:50 pm

Nice one Mumbles - good to see the trains running.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:15 am

hi
not much work done on the layout, but i have been running trains and bit and this leads in to this update....
ruddy weather... is all i can say, i haven't got major warping, per se, but some places, mainly where track joins has become a out of line and i have been getting derailments where before the hot weather i wasn't.. and its too hot to do anything about it with out sweating unpleasnatly, now i could try to insulate but no
my answer....
i'm gonna move house!
i know i know a bit drastic but there are reasons outside of trains... [just not the main ones for me, don't tell the wife]
no, seriously, family is growing older and in need of extra bedroom and i think the other half would just like the change and chance to start again in a new place.. this house we are in now was in need of total renovation when we moved and is now only a few small jobs from being done.
so moving gives me chances..

to look for a house with;
loft that is either already boarded/insulated or is ready to do before i build a layout
and
a big garden that will allow a garden railway

there is also a house we have seen that has a cellar.. but that's just greedy

obviously all this moving takes time so in the meantime i will limit any further work on my current layout to tinkering and cost free/very cheap things.... and then running trains and buying trains

happy fathers day to all you dad's
michael

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:19 am

Sounds drastic!

We have a cellar, and it's damp as anything. I wouldn't reccomend using a cellar, but it is your choice.

mmurnin900

Postby mmurnin900 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:23 am

mumbles wrote:happy fathers day to all you dads

Cheers for reminding me!
Good luck with the new house
Matthew
LFC We've still got 5

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:43 am

Presumably finding, buying, selling and moving will take a bit of time, so what are you planning on doing in the meantime?

BTW, go for a garden railway ;)

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:10 am

dr5euss wrote:Presumably finding, buying, selling and moving will take a bit of time, so what are you planning on doing in the meantime?

BTW, go for a garden railway ;)

on this layout i'll tinker and do some cheap/free scenic stuff just for the hell of it. i'll build some papier mache hills i think.. might waste few quid on scatter! i'm undecided whether to wire up the rest of my point motors, we'll see.. i may do the most commonly used ones when its not so hot as like you say it'll take a while to find, buy, sell move!
also, i have toyed with the idea of an portable 8x4 thomas layout for the kids, something i can let them paint and do scenery on..
if i had got the NG track my mate got yesterday for the price he did i'd be building an NG layout [he got 7 points and 17 lengths of flexi for 30 quid, all new]
oh, and yeah, i won't buy a house unless it has a great loft and it has a garden that's railway compatible :wink:
michael

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:26 am

Hey Michael, sorry to hear about the old house move mate........dare I say perhaps when you move is the ideal time to try the old N gauge.????

Only for a little variety perhaps...

Anyhow don't go missing on here, your input has been too influential over the last year or so, keep us updated ok...

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:45 am

Spavo wrote:sorry to hear about the old house move mate........dare I say perhaps when you move is the ideal time to try the old N gauge.????

Only for a little variety perhaps...

Anyhow don't go missing on here, your input has been too influential over the last year or so, keep us updated ok...

Gav.

its nothing to be sorry about, i've never been one for being precious and if it needs ripping up to get something better then so be it. ay lofty?
believe me, i think its nothing but a good thing to be moving.. and don't worry, i won't be going missing! i will be making videos and taking pics of every track pin pushed or pulled!
and i have considered changes in gauge :wink: although it is more likely to be a narrow one!
michael

mark_brody

Postby mark_brody » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:22 pm

mumbles wrote:hi
happy fathers day to all you dad's

Yes, nice one - managed to sneak in a couple of hours on the back of it today.

Used to get another hour in the loft every week thanks to Ugly Betty, but thats finished now...

On another note the expansion thing sounds a nightmare, is it the board or the rail? I haven't had that problem - yet!

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:10 pm

hi
couple of pics of kits i'm working on
the timber yard has been attacked with black paint but i'm far from happy with it [shown next to goods shed for scale]
goods shed has been painted with enamels, with bricks picked out in other colours and i've just done the mortar with white then wiped off excess

and while i have been doing this, i'm contemplating unmodelling the layout, using the wood to build a portable modular layout which i can store in my garage, and even set up in there. i would get code 75 track for it and store the code 100 for a garden layout... aah decisions decisions
michael

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”