Alex3410 - My Railway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
DonnyRailMan

Re: Alex3410 - My Railway

Postby DonnyRailMan » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:01 pm

A lot as changed since your first post ,it is looking good.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:54 pm

Not much progress yet as the loft is a right mess :lol: but I have sorted out my old Triang Jinty

its now sitting on a bachmann chassis and runs on DCC brilliantly :D - really pleased with how its ended up.

This morning i put together the Dapol foot bridge kit - I got two of them thinking i would need to hack them together but it fitted across my three tracks perfectly :D

Its currently drying after being coated in green railmatch paint

Finally i treated myself to a second Bachmann 57XX pannier tank BR late weathered and the twins look good together

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:11 pm

I've just looked at this thread for the first time in a while - you've made some excellent progress since I last looked and the station and shed areas look really good. May I ask what the tank is made from/who makes it? It looks very convincing with the rust on it.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:37 pm

:D thanks for the feedback its appreciated

the fuel tank is a Knightwing PM116 Fuel Oil Depot or half of it :lol: i got it from a model show for about £5 - they do single kits as well

I am very pleased with the rust effect as well, i cant remember where i read about it but basically its done by:

step1: paint the model in a base colour
step2: paint large areas of rust / dirt
step3: apply hornby maskol in smallish patches over the rust areas
step4: paint the whole model in its final colour
step5: peal off the maskol to reveal the rust 'under' the paint work
step6: little bit of weathering to blend

this was the first time i tried it and was really pleased with the results - my plan is to attempt it on rolling stock next

edit:
Humbrol video showing the effect here

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:41 pm

alex3410 wrote:my plan is to attempt it on rolling stock next

Sounds like a good plan - I can imagine a nicely rusting rake of 16 ton mineral wagons could be created using this method. I might have a go at it.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:29 pm

I have started work on fences around the layout, they involve drilling holes in matchsticks (a very very tedious job!) before inserting them into holes in the layout, once in place i then threaded though wire and glued it in place. With this all done a quick coat of brown paint and they are done - very cheap but effective!

Not my idea pinched it from here but cant recall where :lol:

Next i have been weathering some new stock from the model show this weekend

time for a new compressor and airbrush the cheap nasty one form eBay is causing more trouble then its worth! Its done its job letting me get to grips with it before spending to much cash :lol:

All there is to the weathering is Tamiya X-9 brown thinned with water and each bit of rolling stock is given a gentle covering, its not as detailed as some methods (still learning!) but i think its effective as it takes away the hard lines and gives it a general covering of dirt. The key to it is do go slowly and build it up bit by bit.

its the same method i have used in the past:

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:51 pm

alex3410 wrote:I have started work on fences around the layout, they involve drilling holes in matchsticks (a very very tedious job!) before inserting them into holes in the layout, once in place i then threaded though wire and glued it in place. With this all done a quick coat of brown paint and they are done - very cheap but effective!

Not my idea pinched it from here but cant recall where :lol:

I think you pinched it from Dad-1, I've pinched it too! I found though that with very fine wire or thread you can actually sew it; mark out the positions on the matchsticks as if you were drilling them, but put the thread through a needle and push the needle through, works for me, I only bent one needle, and it was only a little bit! Just need to be careful not to "sew" too near an end, otherwise the wood splits through.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:59 pm

That sounds about right! He's full of useful tips :lol:

good idea about using a needle will have to give it a try hopefully it will speed things up as i need allot of fence!

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:22 pm

Thank you Gentlemen for some kind comments,
However I would say that matchstick fencing is almost as old as railway modelling.
I now use just fishing nylon for the wire strands, being translucient it looks thinner from a few feet away than it
actually is. It's also cheap enough, available in 200 or 300 metre reels from most fishing equipment establishments.
There is a huge range of strain weights, hence thicknesses, I use 12 to 15 lb, around the £3 mark and that would
last a lifetime !!
One dodge is to use cooks matches for gate posts, these are thicker and longer with each match doing a pair of gate
posts. With the top hole leaving a slightly longer extension above the wire. This was while I was making up the 5 bar
gate, but clearly shows the thicker gate posts.

I secure with cyno glue at one end post then tension through & secure at the far end, leaving the wires free to move
slightly through the other posts during temperature changes.

Anyway nice work Alex.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:24 pm

My latest project is to include a Inglenook sidings shutting section to my layout, I am planning on having this as a removable section so that i can take it downstairs to play with when the loft turns into an oven in the summer :lol:

its going well so far - you can read more about it here

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:01 am

no update for awhile! its been down to a house move so the layout has been dismantled

watch this space though as a shed is on order and the new layout should hopefully start taking shape soon :D

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:06 am

alex3410 wrote:no update for awhile! its been down to a house move so the layout has been dismantled

watch this space though as a shed is on order and the new layout should hopefully start taking shape soon :D

Can't wait to see updates and photos Alex. What sort of shed did you order in the end?

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:59 pm

i went for an Easyshed.co.uk branded one in the end
ImageScreen Shot 2014-08-22 at 11.18.45 by alex3410, on Flickr

its got extra height added to it which will help (i am tall) as well as additional supports in the floor something i was worried about with the cheaper ones video of flooring in action here - doubt i will get a folk lift in the garden to put it to the test though! :lol:

it comes with 'free' delivery and installation as well - i say free its more expensive then others!! but the others i was looking at would only deliver it to the kerb and leave it up to you to get it into the garden :evil: these guys bring it into the garden and put it up :D

i know it would be easy enough to put up but pushing my luck getting help to lay the patio down after all the help i have had this past two weeks moving in :lol:

its also tantalised which apparently means i dont need to worry about treating it which is another plus

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:06 pm

Sounds good, it took me ages to treat my shed, I still have to do it, but I'm considering painting it into some suitable railway colours which will protect it, maybe you should too - what's your favourite company :lol: Unless there is a windo at the back as well, it looks like it could be quite dark in there, my shed's got windows on three of it's five walls (yeas, I have an irregular pentagon shaped shed) the doors are basically glass with just wooden frames and it gives a lot of light. Artificial light is all well and good but not great for photography (because of course you will be showing us :P)
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:28 pm

only the two windows, i didn't want to many so people don't snoop :lol: the plan is to install lights when i get it connected up to the mains

don't worry planning on going snap happy :D

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”