Alex3410 - My Railway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
alex3410

Re: Alex3410 - My Railway

Postby alex3410 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:15 pm

The two loops are now fully connected up, at least temporary in the fiddle yard area, but still not fully connected to the bus yet so i am still making use of my trusty battery powered loco :lol: its now successfully ran over all track options in the station area.

I have also installed a wall mounted fan to help with airflow & to stop me from knocking it off as often!

Video of train running around the two loops, the loco struggles a little on the outside loop - there is an incline leading up to the viaduct. I have adjusted the risers slightly to even it out a little more which has helped but it had me worried so i thought i would test it with my A4. Video of my A4 running up the incline

The A4 cuts out when it goes over an electrofrog point as the droppers the other side of the point are not connected up yet, what do you think? should be OK?

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:02 am

I think the incline is just fine as it is. Due to space restrictions, most of us would consider it luxury for a large steam loco to pull eight coaches up an incline, let alone twelve so your incline is great. Is a very well planned out layout so far. I'm impressed.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:32 am

Thank you, I have put a lot of effort into trying to make it as good a possible - getting the mix between track and scenery balanced has been tricky as i tend to try and fill any empty space :lol:

I am really looking forward to getting both loops connected up to the DCC bus so i can run trains the whole length on both loops at the same time :D

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:43 am

alex3410 wrote: - getting the mix between track and scenery balanced has been tricky as i tend to try and fill any empty space :lol:

One of the mistakes I've made on past layouts. :lol: Is not easy getting a fine balance for this.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:18 am

With a soldering iron if not soldering circuit boards you need a large capacity very hot iron. The trick is to apply maximum heat in minimal time. Many hold the iron on the area waiting for the area to heat enough to melt the solder. What this does is heat the surrounding area as the iron is not powerful enough to "spot heat".

I was always envious of the avionics people at my work with their battery powered soldering irons. The tip would remain cool until pressure was applied to the tip and then instant heat. Those irons, no doubt very expensive as is everything else connected with aircraft, would have been a godsend for model railway soldering.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:21 am

Mountain wrote:
alex3410 wrote: - getting the mix between track and scenery balanced has been tricky as i tend to try and fill any empty space :lol:

One of the mistakes I've made on past layouts. :lol: Is not easy getting a fine balance for this.

My plan is highly detailed station, coal mines and viaduct scenes connected by unscenicked track. The track between the detailed scenes (dioramas) is to merely convey the train between the scenes. This saves the hassle of ballasting and scenery on the whole railway.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:41 am

Hey guys, the heat has made the loft very uncomfortable, as such progress has stalled! But now it’s cooling down a bit I am ready to get back to it.

In the meantime we have had the boiler replaced, a rather expensive job but the silver lining is the overflow water tank that used to sit right in the middle of the loft has now gone :D

I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve tripped up over it :twisted: we have also knocked off the overflow pipe as well so all in all really glad it’s gone!

There were holes in the floor for the pipes etc but this let me push the extension cord under the flooring so it’s no longer a trip hazard - I have also put a sheet of 1cm chipboard over the holes and stapled an old rug over the top (had to staple to stop it moving)

End result is a lot more free movement without worrying about the tank, just in the dog house for staples in the wife’s rug!

I should have the rest of the points arriving today so with any luck I’ll be able to make some real progress soon
Attachments
581E0DED-7E40-4D34-B4D9-828F2E76F5D1.jpeg

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:31 pm

Great thread, its been quite a trip! Looks good being able to run express locos with a decent train behind.

NedFlanders

Postby NedFlanders » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:47 pm

Thank you - I really enjoyed reading this thread. You answered a lot of my unasked questions and have given me much food for thought as I also harbor covetous thoughts for both a garden shed or the attic. :idea:

I like what you are doing at the moment - good work.

Ned.
Getting back into railways, one step at a time.
Ned's Workbench - https://tinyurl.com/y4jby73c
The UppydownyRoundyRoundyRailway - https://tinyurl.com/y6stelsr

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:35 pm

Thanks guys, its nice to know the time spent updating the thread is appreciated. I like reading others progress so wanted to give back but also keep a log on how its progressing.

Talking about progress, i have finalised the top left entrance layout to the fiddle yard

The red tracks will rejoin the outter loop at the end of the fiddle yard, as will the green for the inner loop.

some very detailed working out of needed points :lol:

The same for shunting area:

I have not accounted for the inner loop fiddle yard sidings that don't rejoin the loop at the other end - these will have to wait until i have more spare funds - points are expensive!

Delivery:

Placement of points to make sure my plans worked OK:

Next up is actually laying them down and wiring them up - i just need to look into best way to wire them up to the bus to ensure no dead spots with points connected directly to each other.

One thing that did become clear when placing the points out was the need to clear the fiddle yard area of rubbish that seems to accumulate on any free space! one of which was the DCC controller.

To keep this out of the way i have added a makeshift shelf to the layout - making holes in the frame for the cables needed to connect it up:

with a bit of slack so it can be easily undone:

Controller in place (with a peek at how much rubbish i had):

My next job with the controller is to run the cables to the power & data ports, i also need to connect up a programming track but need to give some thought as to where i want this (I might put it next to the fiddle yard if there is room or on my desk - or even both!)

Montfort

Postby Montfort » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:37 pm

Congrats ! Wonderful layout in sight. I'm looking forward to your progress.
Back on the track !
Chris

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:32 pm

Looking good Alex, can't remember ever having that number of brand new points at once, everything I had was built up from small batches (and a lot of second hand) :D

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:17 pm

Thank you, I am just glad to be making progress again

It’s been a few months worth of saving to get enough for this batch, it’s so depressing seeing the total when you could be getting a new loco or something more fun then track, especially as it then means installing & testing it all which is a chore in itself :lol:

Should be worth it when it’s all done and I can actually use the fiddle yard to store stock for the first time

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:23 am

I have been able to make some progress, not as much as i would have liked but i ran out of red dropper wire so had to wait for more to be delivered - with Maplin gone bust there is nowhere near by that stocks anything like this :( anyway on to progress:

I used peco track spacer to help layout the track - i will be honest this did kind of go out of the window :lol: but made sure to have minimum spacing between them according to the guide.

These crocodile clips have been very handy in testing as has the track voltage detector:

I have found two issues, the shelf i very helpfully put in gets in the way a fair bit when trying to lay track :roll: but more importantly the baseboard is a little to wide - laying the track at the back needed a chair and a lot of curse words! I think i went through more fish plates connecting up the back loop then the rest of the layout! blooming things did not want to play ball. I suspect its more the angles etc meaning i couldn't be as delicate as normal (balancing on a chair leaning out over the baseboard will do that!)

I suspect it may give me issues if stock derails on the outside loop & but the closeness of the sidings would probably mean emptying the yard to get to it anyway so i am going to see how i get on.

I have now got the passing loops on the outside circuit connected up, not to the DCC bus yet as i need to run the BUS under this section of the layout but if all has gone to plan the dropper wires are all installed and fed through ready to connect up. I have marked them with pen so i know which ones i need to connect.

I had to solder together one of the track joins as it was part way through a curve and kept coming lose, it was the only way to keep it connected up - i have made sure to keep the next joins normal with a bit of play in them so hopefully should not have any issues.

I did have a quick testing session, but it was mostly pushing coaches through the track work as it didn't click right away the plastic fishplates for the points was isolating the whole new section so the loco didn't get very far :lol: my battery powered testing loco did get to stretch his legs so not all bad.

Older video from previous testing session:
ImageUntitled by Alex, on Flickr

My next plan is to get the outside loop connected to to the DCC bus and give each siding a good test before i look at laying the inside track

Montfort

Postby Montfort » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:59 am

It's a real pleasure for me to see your layout growing. :D
Back on the track !
Chris

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”